Megane Sport Forum banner

Michelin PS2 to PS3 comparison

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Nez 
#1 ·
I've been running a pair of Mich PS2's on the front for a couple of months, with worn Dunlop Sport Maxx TT's on the rear, with only 2mm of tread on them. To be honest, it's been lethal. Over the last two weeks, I had a roundabout spin (no one else close, thankfully) and a big rear-end slide on a tight corner, both without warning - the rear just let go big time. So enough was enough and I fitted two new Mich PS3's to the front this morning, at fairly significant cost :scared: , moving the PS2's to the rear. Because the PS2's were nearly new, this enabled me to do an almost direct comparison. Amazingly, the PS3 'fresh from the box' gave more grip than the bedded-in PS2 on the cold, damp roads (2C) and seems to ride bumps more smoothly, taking the 'edge' off, if you know what I mean. In the dry, grip seems comparable. So from my short experience, the PS3 is very similar in feel to the PS2 but better wet grip and ride, which I think is pretty much what Michelin themselves are saying. Also a perceived improvement on feel through the steering-wheel during cornering, but that could just be because there is more grip on offer. And I don't need to tell you that with those worn Dunlops gone, it's a totally different car!! Confidence restored :wavey:

#3 ·
As someone else pointed-out, Michelin surely wouldn't release an inferior successor to the PS2, so I thought I'd go for the 3's and am not disappointed. Let's just hope they last a few miles and don't misbehave like the Dunlops near the tread limit... it was s**t-the-pants stuff on the roundabout, i'm telling you!

#5 ·
I'm running ps3's all round and ps2's before that. Ps2's will take some beating as they where great tyres. First impressions of ps3's is very good but better than the 2's???? only time will tell.
Next time i would buy the cheaper of the 2 as dry grip is defo no better with the 3's. I think michelin where getting beaten in tests on wet grip / braking hence the changes to the thread pattern on the 3's.

#6 ·
I do agree with you on dry grip - very similar to the PS2, but from my experience this morning, the PS3 is better on damp roads, particularly noticeable when you put the power down pulling away, where the PS2 could spin a bit. But as you also say, the PS2's were available for ~£15 less each...

#8 ·
I'm due some new tyres and trying to decide between the two... cost wise its nothing PS2 £162 Vs PS3 £168.

Only issue I have is how the will perform on track... I've stolen this pic from BigDR, as you can see the wet grip is the big difference with the extra cuts, more noticable on the outside of the tyre, will this compromise grip on a warm track?

#9 ·
Just going by tread patter alone you would definitely think they would of lost some performance on a dry track.
Unless of course the compound is better but then wear would normally suffer.
It's not uncommon for Michelin to design a slightly safer tyre with better noise and fuel consumption figures in mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.