R26 road and track project - MeganeSport.net
Google Search
MeganeSport.net is the premier Megane Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Upcoming Events for the Next 14 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R26 road and track project

Share/Bookmark

Default R26 road and track project

I’ve owned a few “performance” cars over the years and built a few impreza’s but decided I wanted to get back to having fun driving and tracking again with as little hassle of fixing and building as possible. So wanted something with decent handling out the box, wouldn’t cost the earth to build or run but still be fun. My initial thoughts were clio 172 / 182 so I did a bit of looking and a bit of reading and went out to find one I could test drive. Unfortunately I didn’t really gel with the clio. I felt a little cramped, feet felt close together and the power felt alike it was missing something. I guess just too many years of turbo cars. But that was kind of the point. Move away from turbo cars where the tuning potential lures you in to spending on power mods and reducing reliability etc. At this point I felt a bit put off and wasn’t sure where to go. A mate suggested staying French for cost reasons and the Megane 225 sort of became the new focus. Saw that they could be had for pretty sensible money but as always the budget crept a bit and I found myself convinced that an R26 was the way to go. Save me spending on a diff etc. Anyway the target was narrowed down to an R26 with under 80k miles a s full history!! There was a black one about 70 miles away that ticked all the boxes and after an exchange of e-mails I was pretty convinced I’d found the car and was away to call and arrange a viewing when I had a sort of strange girl moment and decided I wanted a blue one.... worse that that, I was actually willing to pay more and travel further to get a blue one
      This almost killed me, being a tight a fook Scotsman it’s realy not in my nature to spend more than is absolutely necessary

But anyway back onto the usual websites and the budget and distances were increased and I spotted one!! A bit above my original budget and a lot further away (about 800mile round trip) but I sent the initial e-mail (it was early hours so didn’t want to call, but didn’t want to leave it and talk myself out of it LOL) anyway next morning I got a reply and a mobile number to call. A couple of conversations later and I was fully convinced the car was the right one for me!! Makes a huge difference when you are talking to a real enthusiast seller! The deal was struck and date was sorted to go and get the car!

Apparently I don't have enough posts to add pics LOL

Some pics from the for sale advert:-

Last edited by duncatr; 28-11-2017 at 21:55:39.

4. Remove Advertisements
      MeganeSport.net
      Advertisements

The car had a couple of modifications. R26R clutch and SMF. Back box chop and a forge dump valve.

Mechanically the car had been well serviced, all the usual repairs had been done. Swivel bearings replaced etc. The gearbox had been removed to replace 5'th I think it was due to an engagement issue, gear was replaced even though report said it could be repaired etc. and the rest of the box had been inspected and was fine.that was some 8k previously. So all paperwork was there including receipts for everything done. Car looked and drove exactly as described so the cash was exchanged for keys. (Or cards in this case LOL) I did notice however that the rear discs seemed pretty corroded and grooved.
      The paintwork seemed all original including the R26 decals, but pretty swirled and a bit neglected.
      Interior the same, overall very good condition, just in need of a good clean!!
      Last job before cleaning.... pick up a job lot of wheels!!

Last edited by duncatr; 28-11-2017 at 22:01:10.

Finally a first look at the car back home to give it a clean and assess the paint

Snow foam, 2 bucket wash with lambswool mit and then full decontamination required! Auto smart tardis to get the traffic film and tar off and it started to look better already. Then Gyeon Iron and Gyeon clay to remove the rest of the contamination. That made a big big difference and Removed the rest I feel the contamination.

Gyeon Iron doing its thing

The fully contaminated car looked OK and a decent shine from a distance but up close the paint was pretty swirled and scratched in place

Last edited by duncatr; 28-11-2017 at 22:05:50.

So into the garage it went for a single stage machine polish. Just a DAS6 with Menzerna medium cut and a blue lake country pad.
      I'd never machined Renault paint before but was lead to believe the paint was soft but I dint find this easy to correct like you'd expect from soft paint. Hence the blue pad, I tried orange to start with but it wasn't enough cut. I would have gone for a more aggressive polish like 400 and tried that but I'd ran out LOL
      Anyway it eventually cleaned up with what I had. Just took a bit longer to work it.

It won't let me post the 50/50 video's but here are a couple of before and after photos:-
      Before:-

After:-

And the other side:-

After:-
      Last edited by duncatr; 28-11-2017 at 22:11:42.

Around the rear number plate and the tail pipes were particularly bad but it all cleaned up pretty well!

With all the polishing done it was a case of IPA panel wipe down, and then I gave it a protection and wax. Went with blackfire wet use over fire.
      Dressed the trim etc and outside for the first time in a couple days!

The gold wheels were not really to my taste but they were in good condition. Too good to merit a refurb just for the sake of a colour change. Gave the wheels and callipers a quick clean also.

Not perfect but a lot better and more than good enough for the weekend b-road warrior / track toy
      Last edited by duncatr; 28-11-2017 at 22:15:36.

Next up was to have a look round and see exactly what was needed mechanically, knowing that it was going on track I wanted to make sure everything was spot on and consumables fresh!
      Titan Pro oil
      New genuine filters
      Sump plugs and washers
      New oe rear discs and pads
      New rear wheel bearing nuts
      New brembo HC blank front discs
      CL RC6 front pads
      RBF 600 fluid
      Braided brake lines
      K-tec brackets
      New spark plugs

I also managed to pick up a second hand k-tec air intake so it was time to get into the garage and fit some of it LOL
      Last edited by duncatr; 28-11-2017 at 22:16:52.

So it was time to get out into the garage and fit some parts!

Spark plugs done, quick oil and filter change, air intake and MTC hose getting fitted.
      Battery and ECU had to come out and the hose clip at the turbo is a bit fiddly with limited access but not too bad to do!

Front brembo HC discs, braided lines and CL RS6 pads fitted to the front

All straight forward, no issues and back together no probs.

Next up was the rears... not so straight forward! The bolts holding the calliper carrier were E16 and quite badly corroded. They came off in the end but I wasn't happy reusing them so they were on the list of parts to order.
      Callipers off and you could see just how bad the discs were!!

Next problem was the calliper rewind... or lack of rewind!! They were absolutely solid, so remover the calliper and tried to work it free but no luck at all even on the bench! one side was slightly easier than the other but still not happy with them

Put the rest of the rears together and had to wait for new rear callipers to arrive from Renault Parts Direct, as well as the new mounting bolts. Which came with standard hex bolts instead of those stupid E16's.
      Last edited by duncatr; 28-11-2017 at 22:21:46.

New rear callipers and bolts arrived

All together and done!

Fluid in and bled through and it was just time for a quick clean! My little helper there as always
      Last edited by duncatr; 28-11-2017 at 22:23:44.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information