Megane Sport Forum banner

My Forge Build

25K views 212 replies 29 participants last post by  jamier27 
#1 ·
well folks i dropped my 250 off at Forge Motorsport in Gloucester on Monday, they are using it to develop all their parts!

i received this pic from them this morning

its about 80% larger than the standard cooler and looks sweet as hell.

i'll keep this thread up2 date when they keep me up2 date.

See less See more
#67 ·
I looked at my IC through the grill just now and its SOOOOO much smaller. Though in the photo's it looks like its a lot more deep/width wise than the Forge.

I would imagine it would definitly change the graph on a rolling road - possibly holdng back the torque some further on rpm

#68 ·
it is about 3 times the size abut seems to be a bit thinner. as yet i haven't drove the car as I'm in Ayr on the west coast of Scotland and the car is in Gloucester. I am picking the car up on Thursday so will be able to tell you more then!

just had an email from Chris at forge and they have been able to read the ecu with their equipment and are working on mapping it just now < quite excited tbh

#71 ·
Afternoon all, Chris from Forge here, im the R&D manager.
Lots of questions which i'll try to answer. Firstly, the rolling road we use is totally independant from us, and we pay just like anybody else. It has on occasion brought a development project to an end when a product doesnt produce any power.
The stock core is very thick and almost square in section i.e. the height is nearly the same as the depth. Its remarkably similar to the stock Focus RS core, but slightly smaller. Its construction is brazed tube and fin with a very thin wall thickness, and plastic endtanks. This does make the core quite light for its size. Our core is fully welded tube and fin, with aluminium end tanks and machined alumnium couplers, so is quite a bit heavier. I dont have any weight figures im afraid. This extra mass is important in the dissipation of heat, and the cores general reluctance to heat up in the first place. The stock core seems to suffer with heatsoak quite quickly, and doesnt recover if you're going hard up through the gears for example. Would be interesting to log it out on track.
As for the flow within the core, we were very much dictated where the inlet and outlet of the core had to be as we were reusing the stock pipework. Most aftermarket intercooler design is a compromise and its very rare that you can get to do exactly what you want for maximum horsepower. Whilst this means that the lower half of the intercooler may be favoured by the air passing through it, its wrong to assume that the top of the core wont be used. Air ALWAYS flows from a high to low pressure, which is very handy. It means that the core will always 'balance out' i.e. the air will always flow through the path of least resistance be that at the top, middle or bottom.
The well designed cores we use (which are made in the UK) will normally outperform a stock core by quite some margin, and in many cases even though you increase the volume, the better flow (and less pressure drop) means that the extra volume is largely irrelevant. .You will commonly see a higher torque figure as the car reaches full boost. For info, our core is 80% larger (not 3x larger!!)

#77 ·
It makes more power and torque from 2800rpm upwards with power over 250bhp from 5600rpm all the way to redline, where the stock car didnt get above 245bhp max (and was 240bhp at 5600rpm). Torque is at 250ft/lb at 2800rpm too, where on the stock car it was below 240ft/lb at the same point.

#80 ·
hi chris, since we have you here, what was the rationale for going with such a large i/c core, versus something that's say only 50% larger that stock. was it designed for future mods, maybe a larger turbo perhaps?

not questioning your decisions, just curious what were the design considerations as i'm into that kinda stuff. :)

redd

#81 ·
The stock intercooler sits in a 'slot' under the radiator and condensor assembly. We could have made a stepped core which would have been about 50% bigger than stock but still been all in the lower portion of the grille, but the perception is that they dont flow well (which isnt the case - we pioneered the stepped core on the Mini Cooper and its now used on all the minis in the mini championship). So discarding the idea of a stepped core, we needed a uniform thickness core that sat between the crash bar and the condensor. Now we didnt have as much depth, making a core 50% bigger meant that it would actually stop behind the crash bar, so we gave it more height to benefit from the airflow in the slot above the lower grille, under the renault badge. If we'd gone to the dyno and this hadnt made power then we would have downsized, but this size core worked well hence thats what we've ended up with.
There is also the consideration, as you said, that in a few years time when the cars have dropped out of warranty, these cars will be much more heavily modified and the core will already be there on the market. We know the core itself will do over 400bhp so we've no worries about its abilities.
As for availability, i cant say for sure. Normally its about 6 weeks from initial testing (which is what you're seeing here)

#85 ·
Well folks i got my megane back today

it was a 4am start for the drive to Gloucester. arrived at 10 just in time for the car going on the rollers at powerstation

Forge managed to map the car no problem, slightly less power than what i was hoping but quite a bit cheaper than the rs tuning map too
Figures:- 292hp
288lb/ft

they are also sending me an uprated actuator to fit to the car in the next few weeks, they also fitted a dump valve (dump valve sounds amazing IMO). the car is totally different to drive, so much more powerful through the whole rev range. On the way home i kept trying to change upto 6th when i was already there as the pull feels like the old 4th gear pull.

will get pics and the graph up later but for now im off to bed.

#87 ·
i got everything for free champ so i really cant complain about anything.

wont be taking my car to rs tuning any time soon as im more than happy with it the now.

the dump valve was a last minute add in so iv still to get a bracket made up to hold it but its a piece of cake to fit.

#92 ·
i will get pics up over the weekend as i wont have time today.

they removed the standard re-circ valve which has a rubber diaphragm in it and replaced it with a piston one. they weren't sure whether i would have liked it with the dump valve so both are fitted. the re circ valve has the vacuum pipe blanked off so effectively its a blanking plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.