Megane Sport Forum banner

197/200 to Megane R26

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Not a Diesel!!! 
#1 ·
Has anyone made the move? If so, how did you find it, MPG etc ....

Many thanks guys.

#2 ·
Hello mate, I came from a clio 197 cup to an R26. When i first got my R26 i loved it, the interior is nice but coming from a 197 cup i would say that. The MPG is about the same maybe a bit better, Depending on how you drive, Lately i've been getting 35mpg. The only thing i struggled to get to grips with was the engine, I kept bouncing it off the limiter after being use to the high reving clio. Once i got use to the engine though my god what an engine, Theres so much tourqe after coming from the 197 puts a big smile on my face.
Overall i love my R26, Its better in pretty much every aspect, Fast, Handles very well, More comfartable than my old 197 cup and so much better in the cruise on the motorway ect.
Hope this helps, If you want to know anything else just ask.

#3 ·
Hey Nick, Thanks for that, mate.
I currently drive a 200, but the Mrs is not getting on with it at all! The harsh ride, poor MPG ( around 25ish), and the high screaming on the motorway. It seems as though the R26 could be just the replacement!

I take it the Megane still has the Keycard & push start?

Thanks again, Nick.

#4 · (Edited)
I went 225 Cup to 197 and back to an R26. 197 was good car but the R26 is, imo, in a different class.

I regretted getting the Clio after a few months but 2 years in and i still love the R26 as much as the day i bought it. Best move i've made.

The thing that annoyed me was that i moved to the Clio in an attempt to reduce running expenses and in reality it cost me more as the MPG was so poor! Also i didn't think my 197 was as well built as my R26.

#9 ·
Same here, 197 to R26.

197 was fun and more chuckable but I changer to megane for reason of not having high revs on motorways and poor economy. Usually got about 28mpg in the Clio if lucky, but megane is 30mpg+

Turbo is fun, but I too had the car bouncing of the limiter for first few months, and still do on occasion :)

I'd have another again

#12 ·
I have an R26 and the wife has a 197 Cup.

We both came from 182's.

They are very different cars but while I appreciate the Torque of the R26 all the time there is something a little more satisfying when you are giving the 197 full beans. Almost like you are having to work for it.

R26 better on fuel & better cruiser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.