Questions about the ring... - MeganeSport.net
Google Search
MeganeSport.net is the premier Megane Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Upcoming Events for the Next 14 Day(s)

Thread: Questions about the ring...

Share/Bookmark

Car
      RS 250 Full fat & Cup

Default Questions about the ring...

Just a couple of questions as I am seriously considering taking a trip to the Ring in a couple of months.

Do you have to have some kind of insurance to be able to drive on there?
      Also what are the average costs for taking the car on there?

Cheers!

Hi mate,

I have been lapping the ring for over 10 years now. I gave up TF days last year for a number of reasons, mainly due to the lack of insurance available (no one will cover you) and the fact there are too many people with no experience.
      Average costs for taking the car is roughly as follows:

From Calais its 286 miles or about 5 hours including stops (3.10 is my personal best ). Brussels ring road is out of bounds at the min so you have to go via antwerp or charleroi. So there and back you will need about 3 tanks total plus whatever you use getting to the port UK side. Remember petrol is dearer in Europe than in the UK but 98 is everywhere.

Tunnel is about 150 return. Ferry is about 90.
      Accommodation used to be pennies over there but now about 60 quid a night.
      Food is quite cheap in the village and a good meal can be had in Nurburg or Adenau for about €30 per head.
      Laps are €21 each and can be bought in multiples with a small discount thrown in.

OK now the bad news. (Caps for emphasis not shouting).
      You are UNINSURED ON THE RING ON NEARLY ALL UK ROAD POLICIES.

On average 1 person a month DIES at the ring excluding airlifts. I personally have seen 8 death investigations in nearly 10 years. All bikers all involving cars.

If you have an accident and it is disputed the police will be called to the site of the accident ON THE TRACK. They will determine the fault there and then and those at blame will be liable for all criminal charges and for any costs.

I have personally seen a closure and repair bill for €18,000 with the €7000 helicopter airlift and the £43k BMW excluded. READ THAT AGAIN!

It may not be your fault but you may be to blame. I know someone who owes their insurance company 76k for a car they hit whilst uninsured on the ring (like most UK drivers on TF). Their insurance was obliged to pay out and is now chasing him for the money.

Wear and Tear on your car is minimal especially on your first laps at the ring. However do not do more than 1 lap at a time without coming in to begin with. It will knacker you and its always good to give the car a break and check it over after each run for mechanical damage.

There are 77 corners. Nearly all are blind.
      I highly recommend doing some laps with someone who is a regular as a passenger at first (just ask in the car park for a "ringer" to take you round) so at least then you can see what you're letting yourself in for. Then get someone to passenger with you to have an extra pair of eyes while you **** up or panic.

Any more questions just ask.

Car
      RS-F1 & Laguna Coupe V6

I'm pretty sure this all stands,

• Base fee for attendance of armco truck: €150
      • Removing damaged armco: €10/metre (x2 or x3 or x4 for multiple-height sections)
      • Replacement armco: €31/metre (x2 or x3 for double/triple height)
      • Removing damaged armco posts: €5.10 each
      • Replacing armco post: €39 each
      • Safety car attendance: €82 per 30 mins (car + 2 people)
      • Circuit closure: €1,350 per hour
      • Recovery truck: €190 (inc VAT)
      • Hospital stay & air ambulance: Let's just say, do NOT go there without travel insurance! (Though a European Health Card - which replaced the E111 - may cover the hospital bit.)

Everything except the recovery truck is then subject to 19% VAT.

4. Remove Advertisements
      MeganeSport.net
      Advertisements

Car
      RS-F1 & Laguna Coupe V6

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnstormer View Post
      I have personally seen a closure and repair bill for €18,000 with the €7000 helicopter airlift and the £43k BMW excluded. READ THAT AGAIN!
      just out of interest, do you know who it was? i know someone that did that too lol

We usually go for 5 days and budget on an average cost £1000 this covers fuel, hotel, food & beer, laps and RING stickers. You can go for less if you shop around but in my experience this cost is typical.

If you are planning on going get a group of you together and go out for a few days, try and go in the week although track availablity is vastly reduced to evenings only but it is usually quieter. Weekends are manic with lots of stoppages due to previous comments.

Regardless of what you hear if you take your time and dont try and set any new records you will have a great time on a great circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by carlg View Post

Regardless of what you hear if you take your time and dont try and set any new records you will have a great time on a great circuit.
      That is definitely the case. I love the place and used to go about 10-15 times a year but made the difficult decision last year about public days (after seeing another dead biker) and having done many many laps without a single hitch. I came very close back in 07 to wiping my 350z out but still managed to catch it. I thoroughly enjoy the place and really really miss going as often as I did but the place has changed. So whilst I still will go it will only be insurable ATDO track days on a private day rather than out with bikes and 10 minute Jeremy Clarkson wannabes.

By all means GO. Enjoy yourself have a great time but please make yourself fully aware of the risks and costs before you do.

My personal opinion is that it's bordering on criminal negligence that the owners know that UK tourists aren't insured and still allow us out with the general (and in most of Europe) insured public on their track. But then buying armco and cleanups and closures are all profit too aren't they.

Finally repair costs quoted above are a good guideline but are out of date now (taken from Bens site no doubt).
      Have a great and safe time.

Car
      RStuning Stage II R26

What reason do UK insurance companies give for not being insured ?
      If your not insured on the ring,then surely you are not insured on any German road.
      I wonder what would happen if a 50 seater tourist coach had a bad incident whilst going around the ring ?

Car
      Megane R26.R

Quote Originally Posted by jaybyme View Post
      If your not insured on the ring,then surely you are not insured on any German road.
      I wonder what would happen if a 50 seater tourist coach had a bad incident whilst going around the ring ?
      Whilst the Ring is classed as a one way toll road with unrestricted speed sections - it's as a race track where UK insurance companies are concerened (which is what it is tbh) and this is not covered by any standard policy. I have a policy with REIS and that includes UK & European track days BUT not track days at the RING. The reason given to me? - Too many claims.......

I've been on TF days & track days and both bring different issues. TF days have bikes & cars out together which is not a good dynamic (imagine dropping oil or other fluid and a german stock broker biker with 3 kids / wife / mortgage etc.. slips and kills himself - that's your fault. Your UK insurer WILL be forced to pay out millions of Euros & said insurance co WILL pursue you for it's losses)

On an Organised track day (I've only done them with Trackdays.de) the German regulars do not cut you any slack as a Ring beginner (which you effectively are until you have around 50-100 laps under your beltf) I have in car video of a Nissan GTR cutting in front of me mid - corner (whilst I was on-line!) missing my front end by inches.

That said - it's such a rush driving there and being sensible will pretty much keep you out of trouble. Would I risk another TF day? - Probably not, too many variables that could cause things to become expensive.

Re. your bus question - imo, if you drop oil, casue a biker to go under the coach, causing it to crash into the armco, the result could be 51 potential personal claims, 1 Nurburgring GMBH claim & 1 coach company claim. Nightmare scenario.

Bahnstormers comments about it being negligent for the owners to allow UK cars on TF days is bang on. They know the score and it's unacceptable. They should be obliged to sell you a lap specific policy (all risks) providing you meet some basic criteria - maybe some basic scruitineering of your car before going out would be a good idea (I've seen some shoddy Uk / Ireland cars over there!)

Go, enjoy - but know the risks & the potential consequences
      Last edited by R26RScott; 17-07-2011 at 12:03:32. Reason: Spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybyme View Post
      Because its not a road. Its a race circuit. No matter what anyone says. Nurburgring GMBH will not and have not provided anyone with a declaration that it is a road. And there have been several legal cases and the last one last year it was declared that ignorance is not an excuse and that there is enough indications that it is not a road prior to entering.

Thread Information