Megane Sport Forum banner

New Renault Clio Mk4

13K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  snapper25 
#1 ·
#30 · (Edited)
I can see why a lot of people will be annoyed about the auto/flappy paddle only option if they're looking for a fun/fast hot hatchback. I'm seeing this from the view of a fast road car that'll be frugal on the petrol when it needs to be, but fast enough to overtake on the back roads when it needs to. I've got my Caterham for the "pure" driving experience, but couldn't live with a big lardy diesel as my normal car.

#31 ·
Having a Griffith 500 the 250 is frugal to me,
Get what your saying but it's ugly as sin, wrong gearbox unless it can turn into a xj8 with the touch of a button and it has a digital mileometer I could only forgive an Astra gte or a Carlton gsi for that tbh, I'm sure it will be a good all rounder but it won't ever get a slot on my driveway I'm Afraid not my cup of tea, still I've had a few renaultsports now so maybe it's time to move on once the 250 has worn out
As I fear the renaultsport in general is going to be waterd down shame end of an era by the looks of it

#35 ·
Not a fan. I think they've misjudged who their target market are, in this country at least. The previous generation Clio's haven't been class leading and award wining because they're the fastest thing out there, rather they've been top of the pile over the likes of a Cooper S or a Corsa VXR for driver involvement and dynamics. All semi-auto boxes i've ever driven have removed a layer of driver involvement and interaction even though alot of them have been technically very efficient.

The semi-auto will no doubt be very good and I think Renault needed to bring one out in the RS range to keep up with the competition but I think the fact you can't even spec a manual is short sighted to say the least.

I suspect the looks are a grower but at the moment I think it looks pretty grim.

#36 ·
I'd agree early semi-autos were kinda crap.

But these latest twin-clutch jobs are outstanding. Believe me when you drive a GTR or PDK'd 991 the last thing you think when flicking up and down the paddles is - wish this was a manual so I can be more involved. That's just out-of-date nonesense.

Renault are embracing the future, can't fault them for that.

Again though - pricing will decide the success of the new Clio RS IMO.

#37 ·
The sound thing for exhaust is just an app and you dont have to use it. Renault are going with times and have to make sales, think they will sell more with having 5 doors and flappy paddles. Manual would of been nice but think once there out and people test drive sales will be good.

#39 ·
Is it just me, but would it not be great having a car on track, being on the boil, just flicking up and down the box when you come into the corner, without having to take your hand off the steering wheel, left foot braking keeping the car flat going into the corner. Quicker acceleration as your no longer having to do the whole clutch thing.

A few years ago I had a ride round the ring in a CSL it was effortless and so smooth with the DSG box. We also did a 30-130 day at RAF Marham and there was a golf with the DSG box in and it made such a difference in his times, you could see on our traces when we changed gear we lost acceleration where the Autobox just pulled a steady line.

So perhaps there are other reasons for NOT having flappy paddles like having to be old to appreciate that changing gear the old fashioned way is actually slower and more driver involving than just pulling a paddle.

Is it just me!!!!

#40 ·
Comments on PistonHeads should be taken with a pinch of salt also. Most people complaining are the same people who complain about every new car posted on there. They have no interest in the car, and it wouldn't have been on their list anyway. They just feel the need to complain.

I love the complaints about the turbo not being a true Clio or a true RenaultSport. Uh, Renault 5 Turbo anyone? R26.R? Megane 250/265? All held in high regard and all turbocharged.

I find naturally aspirated cars in the hot hatch category sluggish. My Fiesta ST185 was great on a track, but if you wanted power mid gear on a road you'd be well out of luck. Overtaking was frustrating and fuel consumption was awful. Bring on the turbo!

#42 ·
Comments on PistonHeads should be taken with a pinch of salt also. Most people complaining are the same people who complain about every new car posted on there. They have no interest in the car, and it wouldn't have been on their list anyway. They just feel the need to complain.
You've noticed it as well - it's becoming rediculous - there is a lot of envy on that site nowadays and the constant slagging always seems to be by people trying to make themselves feel better about their lot in life. All very boring if you ask me.

#43 ·
I like the idea of an auto box, will definately go for a testdrive. 200 hp is a slight disappointment, I expected Clio to get 210-220. But an interesting package, if only Renault have been able to build a more reliable box than Vag. They still seem to have lots of problems with DSG's reliability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.