Megane Sport Forum banner

Advice on Preparation for Track Day

5K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Chewy79 
#1 ·
Hey folks.

Am going for a track day in about a months time. Will be my first time on the track. Was wondering what preparation I would need before a track day. I have a stock standard 225 and i dont intend to do any mods to it yet until I have gone for at least one track day on the standard car.

But what would be the minimum requirements - Should I get it serviced before the track day or after? What are the critical parts or tools that I should carry with me on the day?

Any advice at all, would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
Uprated brake fluid is a must. I tried to run standard and boiled it, wasnt fun.

Only do 15mins at a time then come in and give the car a break.

If tuition is available, book it. Usually £20 for 20mins couldnt recommend enough especially if first time on track, get them to teach you basic lines and braking in the right places, try get it early in the day so you can spend the rest of the day working on what youve learnt.

If you have a bit more to burn cash wise uprated pads wont hurt, most run ds2500 for £110 ish from jjc race and rally

#4 ·
minimum for me on a first trackday is make sure the tyres and brakes are good and in good condition! next when you are there is tuition make sure you use it if it's available.
other than that make sure your car is in good condition and services etc and have fun but don't push it too much :)

#5 ·
Above is good advice for your first track day. If your cooking brake pads and boiling fluid on you first outing, just slow down and get some tuition. Keep an eye on your wheel nuts as they tend to come loose, short outings also on road tyres keeping an eye on pressures.

#8 ·
Thanks Guys! Really appreciate the solid advice. There are instructors there and they are there to provide advice free of charge. I do know i need a new set of tyres, which will be the big ticket item here on top of the uprated brake fluid and pads. I dont think i wanna stress the car too much. So maybe a dozen laps, get to learn the track, braking points etc, clock my timing there and thts it. And the next time, hopefully by then i would have gotten the mods in, will see how that has changed.....

Whats your experience on tyre pressures for track? I saw on another thread that 33psi all round reduces the understeer a little. Manufacturer's recommendation is 32 front 29 rear. With 33 psi all round, the rear tyres would probably be overinflated given the 60/40 weight distribution of the megane, and hence more likely to lose rear traction and oversteer? Maybe im just rambling on here..Whats your experience?

#12 ·
Check fluids, tyres etc & just enjoy your first event.
Just remember that you are not driving on a road but on a track so everything you do day to day will be different.
Tuition is a must, then practice what you have been told.
Don't shuffle wheel, that way you always know which way wheels are pointing.
Enjoy it the day will fly by.

#17 ·
I know the one your on about and tbh I'd spend the extra. the omp one is the very basic bare minimum needed to be called a helmet, some tdo's don't let you use them and if you did want to use it for any other Motorsport in the future again it's not rated to do so.

#21 ·
my adivce would be to drive at 10-20% and build up from there, getting a feel of the car and only go to your limit. the car will 1000x's different than it does on track to the road. Depending on track if it has big run off's just take it easy. as they say its not a race. Erm, On track days, iv only spun twice, first being on a wet day and my car had poo tyres, the second was in my Teg and wanting to push the limit that little harder (bedford autodrome) and spun completly, going backwards at 90mph is not fun. i looked at my mate knowing i couldnt do anything about it till i stopped. luckily the track i decided to push it harder had huge run off's.

As said before, check oil levels, tyres, brakes, take a litre oil with you just in case with some coolant, incase you have a leak and you can top up. tool wise, maybe some jubilee clips incase boost pipes come off. remember no hand brake after the session!

lastly, just have fun!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.