Royally Ars#d by the insurance - Where do I stand? - MeganeSport.net
Google Search
MeganeSport.net is the premier Megane Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Upcoming Events for the Next 14 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royally Ars#d by the insurance - Where do I stand?

Share/Bookmark

Car
      Inferno Orange 225

Default Royally Ars#d by the insurance - Where do I stand?

Got a navigation rally upcoming with the local car club. The event is covered by insurance through Lockton however the organiser recommended letting my insurance know. So doing the right thing for once I phoned up Churchill to ask for a quote to put an additional driver on. Now on the premise it was a "quote" to add my pal on, she asked the reason why and I said road rally. Next thing you know I'm on hold.....

The lady comes back on the phone asking if it is just this one occasion or am I likely to do it again. I replied that I didn't even know if I was going to do it. I was just wanting quoted to add a driver and hey presto I'm on hold again....

Then she comes back on again for the second time.... And informs me she has consulted her supervisor and they are going to have to cancel my insurance as of next Wednesday (28th) due to the risk I may be participating in motorsports. Meaning I have been shafted for trying to do the right thing.

They will collect a final payment at the start of December which I am tempted to cancel the Direct Debit on as I won't be insured by them and I will also have a customary sky high first payment for the new insurance. Right before Christmas. KILL ME NOW. Where do I stand on this? Can they do this to me? Can I cancel the direct debits on the basis they're no longer providing me with a service I am paying for?

Yes they can do this. Read your policy. It clearly states : Racing, Competitions, Rallies, Trials, Track Days and 4x4 Off Road Events are not covered under the car insurance policy.
      Cancellation of the direct debit would be a breach of your contract and subject to debt collection/small claims court. You cant cancel as the payment was for 12 months - not each month in arrears.

Car
      Inferno Orange 225

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnstormer View Post
      Yes they can do this. Read your policy. It clearly states : Racing, Competitions, Rallies, Trials, Track Days and 4x4 Off Road Events are not covered under the car insurance policy.
      Cancellation of the direct debit would be a breach of your contract and subject to debt collection/small claims court. You cant cancel as the payment was for 12 months - not each month in arrears.
      So even asking about it qualifies for a complete cancellation of the policy? I noticed that part too but I was unsure if they were able to accommodate road rallies as a once off, with a premium payment. How can assumption be enough to cancel a whole policy?

4. Remove Advertisements
      MeganeSport.net
      Advertisements

Car
      RS-F1 & Laguna Coupe V6

What exactly is a road rally anyway? is this a fully professional organised event? off public highway?

Car
      Inferno Orange 225

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestar View Post
      What exactly is a road rally anyway? is this a fully professional organised event? off public highway?
      It's a navigation rally on public roads. The challenge isn't in the driving its the co-driver working out the route. The stages are obviously timed but it's not about speed but about getting the route right and picking codeboards. Highland Car Club runs about 6 of them a year. And yes it is professionally organised and insured through the car clubs insurance

Car
      RS-F1 & Laguna Coupe V6

Quote Originally Posted by Shtooey View Post
      It's a navigation rally on public roads. The challenge isn't in the driving its the co-driver working out the route. The stages are obviously timed but it's not about speed but about getting the route right and picking codeboards. Highland Car Club runs about 6 of them a year. And yes it is professionally organised and insured through the car clubs insurance
      Unfortunately those two words say it all mate. Which is enough to make any insurance company be uneasy about the situation. But I am surprised that they have cancelled your policy. I dont see what grounds they have as you only enquired. Thats like saying to someone i was thinking about robbing a bank, and then i got arrested and sent to the clink! but never actually done anything.

You would have to ask the company under what grounds they have cancelled your policy. i have called up many insurance companies over the years and asked if they would cover a track day, off road event and all they say is no we dont. doesnt mean they have to cancel it. wait and see if someone else comes along and can shed light to this.

Car
      RS-F1 & Laguna Coupe V6

Quote Originally Posted by Shtooey View Post
      The lady comes back on the phone asking if it is just this one occasion or am I likely to do it again. I replied that I didn't even know if I was going to do it. I was just wanting quoted to add a driver and hey presto I'm on hold again....
      If you said that, then by the terminology used of the words, theres a chance that you might end up doing it. I should think they have used that statement and cancelled the policy with that in mind. In which case, you stand no chance.

Car
      Inferno Orange 225

That is what I thought too. It just felt like a huge over-reaction to it. Thanks for your help. I receive the cancellation letter hopefully tomorrow or Monday and hopefully that will provide a better answer too. Cheers for your thoughts!

Car
      Inferno Orange 225

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestar View Post
      If you said that, then by the terminology used of the words, theres a chance that you might end up doing it. I should think they have used that statement and cancelled the policy with that in mind. In which case, you stand no chance.
      Ah so they've taken it on reasonable assumption? But like you said that is comparable to me saying I am going to rob a bank and then being sent to the electric chair for suggesting it

Car
      RS-F1 & Laguna Coupe V6

With my line of work and being closely monitored by the HS&E and also studying critical thinking at college; I can say that there is a lot more too a few sentences than what the average person sees. 'As far as reasonably practical' and 'reasonable assumptions' are examples that can be easily mislead and confusing, let alone just hearing someone mention it to you over the phone. So looking at it in this case I would say that this is how they have played it, for the benefit of them, the company. Personally I don't agree that it is right the way that it's been done; the example that I used about the bank, ok it may not be completely comparable and there are other factors involved. But this does look like it's based on assumptions.

I don't know if there is anyone on the forum that still works within insurance companies. I know there were a few knocking about before, so maybe they can give some better explanations and advice for you over the weekend. But for everyone else as well, small print may not be small print anymore. But it is very cleverly worded and can be perceived in such ways that most of you think that you understand it.

Just makes you wonder what else is in the pages of small print that we all accept and agree to. Like that additional policy wording bible (document) that you get with every insurance policy or the online one that we never read when it gets emailed to us…..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information