new phone - MeganeSport.net
Google Search
MeganeSport.net is the premier Megane Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Upcoming Events for the Next 14 Day(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new phone

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Car
      Ly F1 230

Default new phone

Currently have a Galaxy s3,had it for around 6months now and im feeling bored of it!
      Does anyone know any good phones to rival the s3? i was looking at the HTC 8s but i havent had a hands on yet

Car
      Megane 225

I have been an android fan for years and have had the original Nexus phones. Last one was an S2 and I didn't bond with it.

I have gone over to the Nokia Lumia 920 in a brave move and really enjoy the phone. It's different, the hardware is excellent, big screen and WP8 software is really good. There are also an increasing number of popular apps coming over to WP8 BUT if you're an app junky then best to avoid for the moment as it doesn't come close to iOS or android. For me it has FB, eBay, Sky, Tunein Radio, Xbox app etc, it has everything I need. I can't recommend it highly enough tbh.

I just feel all the android phones have become very similar especially with Samsung dominating the android market.

Suppose the question is, what do you want from a phone?

Car
      Ly F1 230

Quote Originally Posted by meso100 View Post
      I have been an android fan for years and have had the original Nexus phones. Last one was an S2 and I didn't bond with it.

I have gone over to the Nokia Lumia 920 in a brave move and really enjoy the phone. It's different, the hardware is excellent, big screen and WP8 software is really good. There are also an increasing number of popular apps coming over to WP8 BUT if you're an app junky then best to avoid for the moment as it doesn't come close to iOS or android. For me it has FB, eBay, Sky, Tunein Radio, Xbox app etc, it has everything I need. I can't recommend it highly enough tbh.

I just feel all the android phones have become very similar especially with Samsung dominating the android market.

Suppose the question is, what do you want from a phone?
      Apps i most use would be.. Ebay,Rbs banking,facebook,tapatalk and whatsapp.

I dont use my phone for gaming really but id like to have the odd wee game incase i find myself bored and nothing to do,has to be able to store 1000+ songs,reasonable camera and a screen bigger than an iphone screen.

I did look at the 920 but they are a bit expensive for me..i got the s3 as it was on a contract which im still in for another 15/16months so my plan was to buy another phone upto £300 then sell the s3 on to make most of that money back.

Car
      Megane 225

I don't think WP8 has tapatalk yet unfortunately and doubt RBS banking is there either. Ebay, FB and whatsapp are there though.

The S3 really is the latest and greatest of the android devices and going for a sub £300 phone is going to be hard, especially for a new phone.

The 920 is 32gb as standard and can easily cope with your songs/pics and the camera is really good with a large screen.

I know how you feel, I honestly change my phone every 6-9 months and it costs me a fortune. I always want the latest thing but for now I am content.

If you are a geek with phones maybe try rooting the S3. It's a whole different world, flashing new ROM's, increasing processor speed, using apps with root access. It transforms the phone and gives it the stock android interface which is what the Samsung users lack. Usually this is only ever experienced on Google Nexus devices. It's just like modding a car in a way, giving the phone a "remap".

I guarantee you will fall in love with your phone all over again BUT rooting can be a bit tricky. Have a research and see what you think. It did for me and my phone what couples wish marriage counselling would do for them!

Otherwise, stop complaining and stick with your superior android device, change your wallpaper or something, or put a new cover on it :D

Car
      Ly F1 230

Quote Originally Posted by meso100 View Post
      Otherwise, stop complaining and stick with your superior android device, change your wallpaper or something, or put a new cover on it :D
      haha!

Think i will look into rooting the phone..havent researched it for this device yet. I jail broke my old iphone 3gs and it did make a difference to how i like the phone but again it only lasted for so long then it got chucked. Cheers for the tip! if this doesnt work and im still bored then ill just give up for a while

Car
      Megane 225

Like jailbreaking rooting can go wrong and obviously does void warranty if you send it back like it is, but obviously you can unroot.

There is a guy on youtube who is really good at explaining the rooting process on android phones, he's called Zedomax.

This video should be the one to help start you off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJss1_dZZeY

If you need any help or want to know what apps to try out once rooted drop me a pm and will be happy to help.

Good luck, and take it easy!

Car
      Ly F1 230

just in the middle of it!

Car
      Megane 225

Jees. Don't sleep on it mate! ha - love it! It's exactly what I'm like. I remember the first time I did it and I hit a problem with computer software to enable me to do the root in the early days and it took me 8 hours, finished at 4am!

Car
      Ly F1 230

ive rooted it no problem..problem now is choosing a rom i want to use! soo many

Car
      Megane 225

Good man, go for one with good reviews. It doesn't matter really cos you will be flashing them weekly at this rate anyway! ha

A MUST HAVE APP is TitaniumBackup - download the free app then the paid license. This allows you to back up ALL your apps and data on the apps for when you next flash a ROM. When you flash a new ROM you need to wipe the data and sometimes a factory reset so you lose all your apps and app data. Reinstalling this first then recover from backup will download all your paid for and free apps. Google Play won't do that for you.

I would recommend going for an app which is AOKP and isn't full of silly stuff. Try and get one close enough to stock as possible. This is all trial and error mind.

I haven't had an S3 but on the S2 you need to download Kernel's for them. A ROM that includes a kernel is a must as it will be a nightmare trying to find kernels that are suitable for a particular ROM build version.

This is important mate as the Kernel powers the phone, if you mess up the kernel your phone will get stuck in a boot loop. Research, research, research now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information