Window condensation = blocked scuttle drains & water ingress. Interior removal! - MeganeSport.net
MeganeSport.net is the premier Megane Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Upcoming Events for the Next 14 Day(s)

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Window condensation = blocked scuttle drains & water ingress. Interior removal!

Share/Bookmark

Car
      Megane 225

Default Window condensation = blocked scuttle drains & water ingress. Interior removal!

After experiencing condensation on my windows recently, noticed by MaxiTBird, I followed his steps of removing the seats, center console, carpet and foam.

Scuttle Drains

First I removed the bonnet, windscreen wipers, scuttle panel and cleared the driver side drain (ripped out the drain rubber as it wouldn't clear). The drivers side drain was clogged and had a mini reservoir going on that was obviously spilling into the heater air intake above it! Bad bad bad design by Renault but now clearing water very easily.

Interior

There is a how to guide on how to do this but it apparently took 8.5 hours, MaxiTBird & I did the interior removal in circa 2 hours. The previous how to guide found https://www.meganesport.net/footwell.htm may have included drying time but just so others know, for complete interior removal that's how long it took us. The carpet and foam on mine was wet on the drivers side (front), slightly wet on passenger side (front) and slightly damp on the rears.

MaxiiTBird's was wet throughout with mold growing in various places.

We followed the same process and cut the foam pieces out strategically as removing the entire lot as one would cause us more time/hassle around the handbrake area. Three discreet cuts of the carpet near the handbrake and lower seat belt areas on both sides means the carpet could be removed. The foam was cut at points in the rear and front to remove parts but if doing so please bear in mind there are electrics all over the place hidden under the foam. Be careful not to cut through them!

We have cleaned the carpets with carpet shampoo and sprayed the rubber backing with anti-mold spray along with the foam pieces affected by mold.

The carpet and foam are left drying in the garage for the next week or two and we are running our cars without the carpet/foam with the seats put back in for convenience.

The good thing about running the car without the interior for a week or two is that we can test whether any water ingress occurs during normal driving conditions before covering it all up again. It was tough removing the center console but other than that the process wasn't as bad as originally thought.

I wouldn't want to do the process again on my car but glad I have done it. My problem was spotted and rectified in time before any damage/mold could occur. I have driven the car today with the heaters on full whack to dry out all the areas affected by the water ingress and the windows haven't steamed up once, confirming that the wet carpet/foam was the cause.

Hopefully by this time in a week or so we will have our cars back in standard condition but we aren't rushing this, everything has to be dry and we have to be sure no more water ingress occurs.

If anyone else needs to do this in future, post here or pm myself or MaxiTBird for assistance as we are happy to help out.

Photos of scuttle drainage block (drivers side)

Photos of interior removal

Drivers side cubby hole was full of water, the foam was soaking wet with water in the footwell.

Video of water coming out of drivers side foam

Car
      Megane 225

The above post will be updated when everything is dry and refitted!

Car
      225 And Modus

I hear what your saying..but...to everyone in the know, if i leave it in a barn in the summer (if we have a good one) with a couple of dehumidifiers in it will the same be achieved?

Car
      Megane 225

As opposed to stripping it? I doubt it...

If there is water under the carpet and in the foam, due to the carpet being rubber backed the water doesn't evaporate upwards, it just remains there soaking the foam. Removal is the only way I am afraid...unless you were brave enough to drill holes through the floor of your car!

The very first thing to do if this occurs is to sort the drains out first before embarking on interior removal....and then also to check the air con drip tray and its own drain for leaks/clogs. I haven't done this yet but will check in the next few days.

Car
      Blue 225 stg 1 and 172

Correct i know i have tried to put it in a oven before now the whole car and it hasn't totally dried

Car
      Trophy No.366

I found the same problem with mine and caught it early thanks to someone else's post, I did mine in around 2hrs not including drying drivers side footwell foam.
      The guide was very helpfull as mentioned, I think the main thing is to now give the drains a courtesy look every week and test them now and then.

Can you come and do mine please?

Car
      Megane 225 cup

Quote Originally Posted by ethos View Post
      Can you come and do mine please?
      Same here haha, some money to be made!

Car
      Megane 225

Quote Originally Posted by Nick15 View Post
      Same here haha, some money to be made!
      Would be more than willing but you're quite far away lads

I am absolutely hopeless at stuff like this and it really wasn't that bad. Once you've done it once its easy enough to do again.

Be brave!

Car
      GW R26, lux pack

Can some point out where the stain holes are my car seems to be fogging up fairly quick at the mo when I'm out in it..

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information