Megane Sport Forum banner

Samsung Galaxy S3 software update

6K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  dapc 
#1 ·
Does anyone have an S3 on Orange? If so, any idea how to update the OS? I've tried plugging it in to Samsung Kies but it it doesn't do anything..... My phone has started to crash lots, so am wondering if there is an update needed for it.

#10 ·
Rooting doesn't cause reliability issues its the ROM/Kernel you run. I've been doing this since 2007 and have had issues with bad ROMs. That is why I go for a Nexus device, latest updates and root access gives me access to a lot of customisations and root only apps.

Granted when I dabbled with a Galaxy S2 and I rooted that I had issues. Some bad ROMs out there for the Galaxy phones.

Research and trial and error is key but I always go back to Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

#13 ·
Rooting 100% doesn't cause signal issues fella. It must be the ROM you had.

There must be a standard ROM for the S3 that is one of the latest but still gives root access?

The S2 was hard to root and maintain in all fairness so that's why I went back to my trusty nexus. Anyway, the S4 is out soon, change phones or buy a Nexus 4 for £280 from Google :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

#14 ·
I've just updated to 4.1.2 and although my phone was ok prior to this, it now has a tab on the edge of the screen that allows me access to all of my app's. Pretty neat. There are subtle changes to the settings menu's, not sure what but it's certainly different.

#26 ·
im on orange aswel and still running the same 4.0.4. I don't have any option to update either. I tried kies and managed to wipe the whole phone and not get any update! rubbish!! from what orange has said to me is that the update should come soon!

#27 ·
dapc, I'd not updated KIES on my laptop for over a year so as I opened it up it wanted to update itself on the laptop 1st. Took 10mins or so. I then connected my S3 to my laptop with a USB cable, clicked on the KIES tools tab, Firmware Upgrade and Initialisation, clicked on the GT-I9300 firmware update and it took a good 20-30 mins to update it. It did recommend backing up data but I didn't bother as all my contacts / calender are on GOOGLE anyway, when the S3 did restart it had kept all my data, contacts etc.... all I had to do was to SYNC my GOOGLE calender and that was it.
As I already said, mine was running ok, no prob's, this new firmware update seems to have a better 'look and feel' to it.

#28 ·
sounds like a plan when I get my cable from work as im using it for my charger. iv updated kies on my laptop so should be ready. Orange phoned this morning asking if I want a free phone and a cheap contract, so after declining I asked about the updates etc. They mentioned to use Kies, or to go in store and they can do it for me. Where I work there is a EE store so I may give them a go!

Cheers Buddy for the info!

#32 ·
Im with orange and got my phone on the first day and its not locked to them Ie no orange bloatware any network.
Although its gone wrong twice has the cracked bezel and is still with Samsung after nearly three weeks :( maybe time for a change on build quality issues

Sent from my old GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.