Megane Sport Forum banner

Djw Designs dedicated track toy project

7K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  Djw John 
#1 ·
Thought some people might be interested in one of my projects that has just began. Its a joint project with my best mate (Djw Dave on CS) and heres the posts from there copy and pasted over.

For years we've talked about doing a track car project and sort of have done by using our road cars/ a share of another track car on track last year. We'll continue to do so this year whilst we build this up but when the opportunity came to buy it we just couldn't say no. Especially as we have so many parts lying about from both of our previous cars we could rebuild it relatively quickly for people with full time jobs and families.

Some of you may recognise it as the 182 Adam. bought last year and has been advertising for a while after stripping it down a few months ago. The main draw for us is the full welded in Oreca 'race' cage. Bit much for a daily, perfect for this.

So first job of the day was to pick it up from Adams Dads house, us being us, Dave borrowed this from his work

along with this

And we quickly got it on a pallet with timbers and a strap round it

Happy Dave

'Helpful' John

Nearly good to go

Why we've bought it

When we got to our borrowed garage the entry was just a bit tight. So faced with going big or going home Dave naturally went big!

And its temporary home until we get it on its wheels

Plenty to more to come, sorting out lists just now and will move things down to it soon, possibly even tomorrow morning, going to be a little while till we can really get our teeth stuck into it as we both have lots of other things going on but you know us by now!

Thanks

Dave & John

See less See more
#2 ·
We had a spare hour and half this morning (well not really spare, we did this instead of s**t we should be doing) and took some of the body panels, axle and more assorted random bits down. So we decided to see just how much work we'd need to make our stuff fit. So the front end is just kinda balanced on, the sideskirts clipped but not bolted, the rear bumper loosely bolted on and the spoiler actually fitted. But not wired! Everything will be coming off again anyway.

Our temporary home

We're sure it wont be a surprise to any of you to see that we're ph1'ing it

And I've broken a toe already. No pics unless you like horrible looking feet.

#3 ·
Time for the s**ttest update ever on any project thread on the whole of the internetz.

So far this week we've had 1 free evening, which was last night and we had to swap front and rear shocks off Daves iceberg as he had sold the cups and eibachs. I got a flyer from work and nipped down to the garage tonight before it got too dark. Only aim was to get the car off the pallet and up onto the stands, it was a bit of a faff but obviously not bad at all. Also gave the garage a bit of a sweep out. Next thing on the shopping list has to be some floodlights so that we can open up more time to work on it, already its far too dark.

Promise thats the worst update that will happen in this thread!

#4 ·
Well, had a very car day today, up at the crack of around 7 and only just in the door this minute. Unfortunately Djw Dave couldn't get the day off work at such short notice so I took my actual wife with me.

Started with a couple of trains and despite living 10 miles from it I went over the Forth Bridge for the first time in my life!

And stayed on it until we got to Inverness where we had a bit of lunch and then picked up this

As you can see, thanks to a weird combination of man maths and partners that seem to have the patience of someone stalking a coma victim we've bought another ph1. Well, we needed a wiper linkage and an interior mirror so it seemed the right thing to do.

Couple of pics halfway home

And finally got home

We're pretty sure you can all work out the next bit of the plan......

DaveJohn

#5 ·
With the insurance running out at 1415 today we really needed to get it down to the garage and off the road. As you may have noticed its a double garage with 2 doors so it should be a piece of cake right? Wrong. The other door is very much shut, and would take a while to 'unlock' it and 'relock' again. So the only choice was to move the caged shell over by enough to get the PB in.

Got it back onto the pallet and timbers, strapped it all back down and pushed it over. Unfortunately Dave works for a living so it was a solo effort, knackered now! Had enough time to get it back up nice and high on the stands at least. Hopefully next time we move it it'll have wheels!

So finally there was the space to park the PB, thought I should take a couple of pics of how it stands for one last time

I think anyone who hasn't seen where this is going will do now!

So at this point I called my wife to come and collect me to save lugging the tools back up the road and thought I'd take a quick look at the godawful front bumper

3 bolts and 4 cable ties later

Spot the fog light wire

Yup, house flex

#6 ·
And this one brings us up to date.

We started the day in the snow working on my 1.2 and Gaz85s stripped Cup, think he'll do a thread soon. We stopped around lunch and after we'd eaten we decided to nip down the garage to get the turbines off and chuck my track wheels on as we've run out of axle stands due to too many projects!

So with the aim of removing and changing the wheels I'm sure you're not at all amazed to see what the car looked like a hour later.

A few bits that will be for sale soon

And what is currently causing a headache

Once we get the alarm completely removed and the car starting again we'll be able to get the engine etc out.

And a nice bonus we found today was the the arb is already polybushed!!

ETA- Had a brainwave, nipped down the garage and it runs!!

#9 ·
Knows Jamie, got a pic somewhere of the number plate light as well, its even worse!

Yeah bought it from a guy who works at Renault Chris, he bought it from a mate. Think it was in Aberdeenshire until the end of 2011. TBH its been bodged together in various places but its ideal for what we need.

#12 ·
The difference is your williams isn't about to get crushed ;)

Yeah it is a shame, and black is a really nice colour for them but this one would need thousands thrown at it to bring it back to standard. Even as a track car I think it needs too much, breaking it is about the best thing to do with it so not feeling too guilty! And anyway, we're turning a 182 into a ph1, that more than negates it ;)

#16 · (Edited)
Went down for a couple of hours myself this afternoon on my last day of AL and sort of faffed about for the first hour doing little things here and there and then decided to get stuck into getting the interior looms and ready to go into the caged shell.

Unfortunately my iphone did its usual trick of switching off when its cold outside so I barely managed any pics but here's the 3 it did before dying (with 40% battery)

On the trip down I thought it was one of the worst stereos I'd ever heard, turns out I was right.

It got a fair bit heavier than this and was around minus 2, thankfully I was at least out of the wind and busy so didn't feel cold. Need to get a couple of lights though, was working by the light of the Cliosport torch that came in the renewal pack!

And the only one that shows any progress at all!

However, the brief rundown is the lights loom is removed from the front, both rear looms are fully removed and the main dash loom is completely away from the dash and is only held in by the seat wiring. Was going to snip it but wanting the handbrake wire out of it and decided if we're doing the rest of it right then may as well do it all right!

#19 ·
Well, our harnesses arrived the other day

And Dave managed to get down and do a bit more

Update time.

Popped down the garage myself as Johns at work and I've got the week off to do other work.

This is how it started today.

Started by getting the front up on some stands, as high as I could to allow as much room to work around it.

Dropped the gearbox oil and engine oil

Then set to work on the drive train on the pass side, hub, wishbone, shaft, shock and spring all removed ready for new bushes, bearings etc etc

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b...A5D06E4-1893-000001A273AFD4AE_zps5d6e3c10.jpg

Working on the pass side i also removed the wing, skirt and arch liner.

And finished the day by dropping the coolant and removing the rad.

Tomorrow I'll do the same to the drivers side then move onto the next stage.

As always C+C welcome.

#22 ·
Cheers lads, got a bit more time on it yesterday as well, hours wise its not taken too long, its just rare we get the time to do anything at all to it!

So that was a good Friday. We both managed to be at the car at the same time and Gaz85 even came down to help out. And get a fingernail trimmed....

Started off like this

but then we noticed this

Subframe is a bit banana'd. Pain but we do have another so it could've been worse.

And this is why you should always fit springs that are actually intended for your car kids, basically they may as well have been chopped for how 'safe' they were

A very quick tidy up after a short time

Engine loom, alternator and a few other things removed

Not technically attached anymore

not much left here either

and the subframe came off nice and easily. Looks like its been off before to be painted. Forgot to get a pic of the rotten chassis leg

Bit annoyed that someone has diy decatted it, we were gonna weigh that in!

1 of the 15465432154 piles of bits we have

Engine and box out

Refitting things to the caged one

Highlighting how minging mine is at the moment

Axle off

Interior 99% stripped of what we need now

And a few other things done like the aux belt set up remove, petrol tank drained etc etc

Cheers
JohnDave

#25 ·
We'd like to have it all done by Autumn Steven, we've currently got 11 cars between us so kinda busy!

Current list is something along the lines of

225 - new wheels and summer tyres, fix heatsheild, fix loose indicator connection, fix exhaust
My flamer - rebuild interior, get dry track tyres fitted to wheels
1.2 16v - make it work and sell it

Daves flamer - fit new unbroken engine
Daves iceberg - break
Daves exclusive - fix and sell or break
Robyns new pands - lower, paint wheels

Dave and Gaz's cup, fix, prep for track
Dave and Gazs ph2 flamer - break

Dave and mines black ph1 - continue breaking for the caged shell
Dave and mines caged 182 - everything, full rebuild, paint, track prep yadda yadda yadda

So yeah, with full time jobs and families we're kinda busy!

None of it particulary hard but getting a whole day to strip a car down is a luxury at the moment!

#26 ·
Excuses are for.........LOL.

It does seem like alot of work for 2/3 folk to do by autumn, especially with full time jobs and families!

Im hoping my track car will be ready for May/June, so was hoping to see yous on track at some point (if i dont blow mine up)

Haha, yeah i had a look at the exhaust on the 225 the other night (sainsburys car park) and seen that you still hadn't fixed it.

Just take some holidays from work and get cracking :)
Keep up the good work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.