Megane Sport Forum banner

Front RS 225/R26 wishbones

26K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  DazShell 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Due to countless threads on here, i have taken time to explain the differences.

These wishbones for the RS 225/R26/R26.r are only supplied by renault.
yes if you phone look on ebay etc. they are listed as non gen.
but thats due to them all thinking they have the same arm. which the DO NOT.

this is a megane RS wishbone the 2 rear circles are the differenaces. the ball joint has a tread on the taper where a nut would go on too.
the red circle to the right is where the anti rotation link goes though.

you can see in this image how the nut sits on the plate that goes over the tapered part of the ball joint.

normal megane.- you can now see the normal megane 2 has a pinch bolt and nut that goes though the hub assembly and a little cut out in the ball joint to hold it in place.
also there is no hole for the anti rotation link just for a abs wire bracket.

See less See more
#6 ·
Just out of curiosity [and being a tight fisted get!] my only problem with these wishbones/control arms is the rubber around the ball joint seal has worn [in the position as shown below].

So do I really need to pay well over £200 for a pair of new wishbones just to get these joints covers? Or is there possibly another way around simply sealing up the joint? Unless it looked perfect/standard, would an MOT tester automatically fail it, or just inspect it to make sure the seal is doing it's job?

#7 ·
the seal has to be doing its job. you can buy the boots from other places but for as much ****ing about and also the rear bushes on the arm split anyway.
i dont see the point people always end up paying more trying to be tight

#10 ·
for the arsing about you may aswell just buy the proper bits. if they are anything like mine, the wishbones will have started to corrode anyway so you may aswell swop them for new, if you want to save a bit on the parts pm ads225cup and he'll sort you out :)
wishbones are on my to do list but i need to finish my suspension, track rods, arms and driveshafts first

#12 ·
Lol! In other words the rest of your suspension is corroding faster than the wishbones :)

KTec are selling these wishbones for much less than what the previous thread quoted from Reno. Was quite surprised as they usually add a few quid to things that they supply.

#16 ·
have you changed the top engine mount Lee by the air con pipe? theres also a stabaliser bar there that is worn on mine which im replacing.

yes i have had two sets of springs snap on me now (second set had done 29k already), seems they corrode quite fast. as for the track rods/ends they do wear fast. got non gen at the moment, and they aren't a great fit in my opinion so just upgrading all to oem renault and hopefully get a bit longer out of them. i'd rrplace the wishbones now but i've already spent about £800 on parts this month

#17 ·
Hi Tom, I haven't changed any mounts yet but will definitely be doing the top one first as it's the most common to go. I've been told by Aarons Autos that the gearbox mount was worn when he did my bearings, but I don't know for sure where / how to locate it?
I had a spring snap on the front, luckily they are covered in a thick protective sleeve so it never caused too much of an issue. £800 in a month on parts is crazy isn't it, these cars eat metal! lol

#19 ·
can definitely recommend doing the top one, that made a huge difference for me. haven't changed my box mount yet. took loads of pics whilst doing the top mount if you need any, going to throw a guide together with the instructions lemon gave me when i did it

#20 ·
That would be a great help Tom :) I think the top mount can be picked up for around 50 odd quid, so it's something I could justify doing while the car sits still. Any help is better than nothing.

Mark, how long/big of a job is the box mount, would it be easy for you to do when you do my clutch? :)

#21 ·
you can get non gen ones from eurocarcare for 50 odd but if you speak to ads i think its about 65-70 for genuine one, and i've heard the genuine one has the correct movement/rigidity in it for the 225 so i went for that one.
i'll sort it out tomorrow

#24 ·
No need to say sorry my friend, I come on here to get the truth :) Fact is most of the stuff that's available on-line isn't 'the truth' as you've pointed out with all these places that sell the wrong wishbones.

It's good that people like you, and other knowledgeable mechanics, are on here. Otherwise there'd just be a group of fellas making a complete mess on their drive ways! lol

Anyway the Ktec stuff seems like a good price from their website, I'm wondering if they do discounts for members off here? [just for future reference]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.