Gearbox clonking - MeganeSport.net
Google Search
MeganeSport.net is the premier Megane Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Upcoming Events for the Next 14 Day(s)

Thread: Gearbox clonking

Share/Bookmark

Car
      RS300

Default Gearbox clonking

So, I'm having this gearbox clonking noise for some time now and I have no idea why this is happening. I'll try to explain what the sound actually is:

The clack noise only appears when I lift-off from throttle, so that I have engine-braking, or gently accelerate after coasting. This clack sound is only the initial 1/10 second when the engine is either pushing the gearbox, or "engine braking". Gently bouncing the accelerator gives the hardest clonking noise, and it's most noticable a lower engine rpm speeds. I'm convinced its gear/clutch related, as the slightest accelerator bounce will set it off, I doubt the engine/gearbox mounts can even feel it.

To me, it feels like the DMF is acting like it has its springs missing and it's just rotating the flywheel freely to each end of travel, then hitting the stops and going "clack", which is why it also does it when you lift your foot off the accelerator.

My clutch does however need replacing, as it has started slipping recently. The clonk noise however, was there before this even happened. Does anyone know what this clonking noise is caused by? I am suspecting perhaps the flywheel, or could it even be the enginemounts / gearbox mounts? My car currently has 40k miles done.

I have read a similar story to this on another car, and he needed its differential replaced, as the noise stayed after replacing clutch/flywheel/mounts etc.

Car
      MEGANE 309

Sounds like the dmf is fooked, it'll have a lot of play causing the clunking noise

Sent via brick through window

Car
      RS 250 FF + Cup + Recaro

If your clutch needs doing anyway then it is the perfect opportunity to get the DMF checked at the same time. You'd want to replace the DMF anyway so it really doesn't matter if the DMF is knackered or not, but would put your mind at rest that there wasn't some thing else going on.

4. Remove Advertisements
      MeganeSport.net
      Advertisements

Car
      265 Trophy / 225 Lux

Did you ever cure this?

Car
      250 cup.FF

It sounds to me like the Cambelt bearings. Had a new belt and water pump under warranty.

Have a look at this thread,

https://www.meganesport.net/community...=engine+rattle

Elliott.

Car
      Audi S3

That will be nothing to do with the cambelt what-so-ever. As he'd already deduced shot DMF, you can get a perfectly healthy one to make the same noise under certain conditions.

Car
      RS265 RB7

mine does exactly the same thing. Dealer says it's diff noise & "it's normal for our cars".

Did you end up replacing the DMF & cure the noise?

Thread Information