Megane Sport Forum banner

New Clio Renaultsport 200 Turbo, Yorkshire Posse member Gazeratti's Review

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  loose cannon 
#1 ·
200T EDC with Lux and Cup Packs
(All comments are from a personal point of view)

Today me, Foxspeed and Roblynn1977 had a road trip to Wolverhampton Renault to sample the new Clio 200T.

Like to say a big thanks to Matt at Wolverhampton Renault who was offering a no strings attached test drive to sample the new Clio 200T and to Rob who got in touch with him to set it all up. I thought this was a good touch for those who cannot get to the midweek track days cause of work. Matt was a very nice guy and could do with a few more like him in the sales departments across the Renault Garages.

I must say overall it is a very good drive and i felt comfortable in it right from the off which is rare for me in a strange car. Its is very composed and to say this had the cup packs it is less hash then out going 200FF non-cupped Clio on our pot hole filled roads. Front Seats a very supportive and comfy, either in hash cornering or cruising. The rear seats aren't as comfy as the out going 200 and are more bolt up right. The rear leg room is also about the same between the 2. The Red stitching in the seats reminds me of the GT Turbo seats a bit and Love the Red seat belts.
Steering to me had a very positive feel, feedback and was well weighted at speed or in town, could tell what it was doing through the front wheels

The Flappy paddle box which i had big doubts about is the best Auto/Flappy Paddle box i have driven to date. It did everything i wanted it to do, changed down when i wanted it to and up which the flappy paddles ive driven wouldn't let you drop a gear till it was ready, which was my pet hate with them over the years. All gear change's up and down the box in full auto or flappy paddle mode was very smooth and in Race mode was plenty quick enough through the gears i thought. Loved the sound coming from the exhaust when changing down and also when nailing it it sounded like Darth Vader from the exhaust when sat in the back lol.

To say we had a full car i thought it pulled rather well, either nailing it or just driving it along normally in higher gears, so there's plenty of torque there. It pulled like a train through the gears tbh when giving it the beans, seems to get to the rev limter very quickly. There was no lumpiness from it in the lower gears like you get in the out going 200 but i suspect the gearbox helps with this.

The Brakes felt good also quite a hard short paddle and stop the car rather promptly, whether they would last with a good spanking on a run out or on track i do not know but on our little run they felt good.

The one thing i didnt like about the car and is a complete gimmick is the R-link with the car sounds. it was alright for the 1st few minutes as a laugh but it just got annoying after awhile and in the back sounded dreadful at constant speeds. The Rev counter was also on the small side and hard to make out and could do with brighting up a little and what with the tini tiny little windows behind the rear door handles [lol]

The Looks of the new 200T is now growing on me, but i still do wish they had made a 3 door too. I felt the rear doors didnt aid much anyway in getting in and out tbh, didn't really open wide enough and kept catching my size ten feet between the door and rear wheel arch or just kicking the door. Although my doubts about the gearbox has been resolved i do think it would be a great option to have but it should have been an option and not get rid of the manual altogether which i would still prefer as that is what a hot hatch is about. The new car overall feels a quality product over the out going model, everything feels much better screwed together and not as rattle inside. For a family man that has come through the R.S. range of the past and might want a blast from time to time when the mrs allows this is the ideal car for them.

Would i buy one......well i still have a problem with 5 door hatch's with how they look. but if my circumstances changed that i needed the extra doors then i would deffo look at one of these, But 3 doors are not exactly hard to get in and out of tbh. Would also have to be in LY not seen the other colours yet other then white and i think white doesn't do anything for it personally it makes it look cheep the GT line looks better in white then the R.S. version does

Here's some photos of the car we drove

See less See more
#3 ·
Ive only driven a Merc GL320 and Citreon C2 VTS flappy paddy so my comparison may not be the best, but it was better then i was expecting :) Driven quite a few Autos though and in Auto mode is much smoother through the gears :) i too prefer the previous shape but this is growing on me now after not really liking it when it 1st came out

#4 ·
We saw one in Germany the other week but I didn't get chance to have a good look round it. It's sounds like Ita shaping up to be a good car. Will be interesting once a tuning tuning company gets hold of one. Should be able to notch it up to 250hp pretty easily aslong as the 'box plays ball :)

#17 ·
Drove a white 1 a few weeks back, didn't like the gearbox bored within 10 mins tbh maybe if it was a big v8 barge I would of enjoyed the box more, and could not get on with that awful binnacle layout, nice enough drive other than that but I wouldn't have one over my 250 but it was nice to try it out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.