Megane replacement - MeganeSport.net
Google Search
MeganeSport.net is the premier Megane Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Upcoming Events for the Next 14 Day(s)

Thread: Megane replacement

Share/Bookmark

Car
      Misano red Audi RS4

Default Megane replacement

So as some of you will be aware, I have been toying with getting rid of the RS250 for a couple of months, for no reason other than I was getting a bit bored with it. After 4 years in my 225 which although a bit rattly and squeaky, was (in my opinion) a raw driving car - no LSD, just a lot of power. Compared to this, I always found my 2 years in the 250 a little 'boring' - great car, well built and some power, but apart from the first 6 months it never really put a smile on my face. I can't explain why.

Anyway, I started to look around for a replacement - I knew I didn't want to go down the Focus ST / Golf R / Civic Type R route. I did look at the Mercedes A45 AMG, but they are still commanding big money, and I wouldn't be able to justify the cost. This led me on to the Audi RS4 - a car I've always really liked the look of, but didn't know much about......

After doing many hours research on Autotrader, it appears that the depreciation on the RS4's has stopped - 06 plates with 125000+ miles are still going for £16k - £17k. Anyway, several weeks of visiting dealers (and seeing some right over priced dogs of cars) I settled on a couple that I was really interested in. Unfortunately, one car had a leaking shock (which is a pre-curser to the DRC shocks failing and a very expensive repair bill), another dealer wasn't prepared to take the Megane in P/X (apparently he struggles to shift hot French cars - amusing seeing as his RS4 is not only still up for sale but the price has dropped by £1000 - a bargain if anyone is in the market for one!). Anyway, I spoke to a dealership up in Huddersfield and put a deposit down and arranged finance, all on a car I hadn't seen or driven. Likewise, they agreed to take the Meg in P/X (even with the bloody great key mark down the side) without seeing it, although I described it to them as accurately as I could.

I went to the dealership yesterday and was pleasantly surprised - the RS4 was exactly as described (bear in mind some of the ones I'd looked at were described as immaculate and infact needed new tyres all round and new disks all round etc). Tyres are all good, decent wear left on the disks, feels like the clutch is new as well (really low bite point). Signed the paperwork, finance done, drove home!

So.... What did I get?

2007 Audi RS4 saloon in Misano Red with 64000 miles. Full service history. 1 previous lady owner. DRC suspension has been replaced with coil overs (which means that I don't have to worry about that aspect of it). It has the leather sports seats (the buckets gave me back ache) which aren't as 'grippy' as the Megs sports seats, flat bottomed steering wheel, 6 CD changer, adaptive Xenon lights, front and rear parking sensors, in built SatNav system, dual zone climate control, heated front and rear seats.

POSITIVE POINTS (albeit after only 24hrs ownership) -

Bloody quick!
      The V8 noise is addictive!
      More practical than the Meg - huge boot space and 4 doors
      Decent motorway MPG - managed 28mpg on the run back from Huddersfield (on the run up the Megane managed 31mpg)
      Fantastic handling - the car feels so poised
      Fairly easy to use SatNav system
      Build quality - the only squeaks coming from the cabin was from the leather seat where my fat ass was moving around on it! The Meg was starting to rattle from the dash, despite being only 2 years old

NEGATIVE POINTS -

The cabin is starting to look a bit dated - it is a 7 year old car after all
      The V8 noise is addictive
      The wheels are going to be very easy to kerb
      The fact that scum are likely to want to nick it.

My plans for it are to keep it as it is - I may get a carbon clean at some point, but other than that it will stay as it is.
      I will still hopefully be attending meets though, as by and large you're a good bunch!!

You won't keep it as it is as you won't be able to resist. i have said that all my life and every car i have done something to it. I had a V8 and you just can't resist revving it up and believe me your rev costs you much money. It's the same with a dump valve you want to hear it so it's irrisistable

It's a nice car. As for knicking it's easier now than it has ever been for any car due to tapping into you ECU so no better than worse. It's the soft tops that are at high risk as they are wanted more in Africa for the King man in his village or yes a V8. i put a lock on the steering wheel as it would stop them or delay them. It's said that it is easier now than it was in the 80's as a coat hanger and a hot wire takes more time and a steering lock.

Car
      OG cup 250

Looks great love these cars and the sound they make is awesome

Did you get a good price for the 250

Cant see you missing the rs

4. Remove Advertisements
      MeganeSport.net
      Advertisements

Car
      Misano red Audi RS4

Garlic - I managed to keep the RS250 completely stock. I'm hopeful that I can also keep this one standard.

Phil - The price this dealership gave me for the 250 was about £2k above the worst offer I got from elsewhere. If the offer had been crap I'd have walked away - as much as I wanted the RS4, the figures had to work for me!

Car
      renault megane rs 250

looking good

Thread Information