Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if can be diagnosed on internet but maybe common. Steering felt heavy today and pulling to left slightly and slight knock front left over bumps. Any ideas are they all related or not.

Thanks Martin

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
This can be fixed by taking apart and Wd40 the bottom roller bearings and working untill it moves freely then regrease and put back together good as new. very common problem can be replaced but costly

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This can be fixed by taking apart and Wd40 the bottom roller bearings and working untill it moves freely then regrease and put back together good as new. very common problem can be replaced but costly
Thats the answer i was looking for thanks mate. Will get this done this week hopefully.
Thanks for all replys need to subscribe to forum seem a very good bunch

Thanks again Martin

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Once you accessed the bottom bearings let the wd40 soak in for a while put the nut back in and work it one side to the other may need clamping and hitting with a hammer dont be scared it doesnt dammage it. keep topping up the wd40 as you work it :) and dont be skimpy with the grease when putting iot back together either :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once you accessed the bottom bearings let the wd40 soak in for a while put the nut back in and work it one side to the other may need clamping and hitting with a hammer dont be scared it doesnt dammage it. keep topping up the wd40 as you work it :) and dont be skimpy with the grease when putting iot back together either :)
Thank again mate. Will do both sides just to make sure. I take it this is the cause to all my above problems

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
yeah thats what mine was a couple of years ago did the above and its been great ever since. you can tell which one it is by just removing the steering arms and which ever one is stiff is the cause. if you time its probably best doing both yes i never go chance to do both but ive never had the problem with the other side yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got some of the bottom bearings for sale £35+p&p each personally I would replace them if your going to strip it down as when they dry out the needle roller wear flat !

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
if there not to bad then a clean and regrease is fine. there is a guide on here which i did

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well removed wheel and track rod end and on both sides the hub is free turns really easy. Does this rule the bearings out and point more to the Steering rack

Thanks Martin

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Well removed wheel and track rod end and on both sides the hub is free turns really easy. Does this rule the bearings out and point more to the Steering rack

Thanks Martin
Yep. Check for play in the track arms for the wandering but the going heavy part is a bit worrying.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers Martin, found it. Didn't realise it would be such a spanner heavy job tho!!!!
I not mechanic minded but didnt look too bad and was looking forward to getting it sorted but once hub was free thought i would stop there as problem must be something else (COSTLY) no doubt

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
If its the hub bearings yes but don't leave it too long or you loose any chance of getting away with cleaning and greasing and end up having to change it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If its the hub bearings yes but don't leave it too long or you loose any chance of getting away with cleaning and greasing and end up having to change it.
Thanks for replying, my megs still under warranty so shall take it in 2mo to Renault, but bet they won't be able to fit me in. And im off on holiday on Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts