Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Good point from a commenter - why not test the RE050's since renault chose them on the 265? Unless the 265 isn't the end version and they will be bringing a 250 varient sitting on 888's etc for an even faster ring lap time?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I use the Yokahama advan neova ad08 for track and these can also be used for the street,I love them....

·
Registered
669 Posts
On the AD08s myself now and they are much better than the PS2. Streetable, decent in wet, but probably wont last as long as the PS2. R888s are even better than the AD08 but are notbreally streetable. I'd say u would get 2-3 secs moving to AD08 and maybe another 3 secs between AD08 and R888.

Redd

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Dosn't really give to much away on the gains tbh as the original time was set with not ideal track conditions which could mean wet or cold. What do you all think the real difference would be if both where tested on the same day with conditions to suit a track based tyre rather than road? Dont forget this is a long track. My guess ps2's v r888's would be 2.5 secs.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
5 seconds

That is an amazing difference.

Are the factory tyre's not up to mark?

Can you imagine on a cold day with removed rear seats, CL pads all around, Stage 2 mapping on the 888's what timings you could achieve.

30 seconds off a ring time for the 250?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dosn't really give to much away on the gains tbh as the original time was set with not ideal track conditions which could mean wet or cold. What do you all think the real difference would be if both where tested on the same day with conditions to suit a track based tyre rather than road? Dont forget this is a long track. My guess ps2's v r888's would be 2.5 secs.
The original lap time was set in Oct 2010 and not in the wet and cold but at 38 Deg C ambient.

More likely, the 'not ideal' conditions led to the OEM rubber working a bit too hard.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The original lap time was set in Oct 2010 and not in the wet and cold but at 38 Deg C ambient.

More likely, the 'not ideal' conditions led to the OEM rubber working a bit too hard.
Good point. Bet them r888s would struggle also at that temp after a lap or two.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just to give you an idea, Denis Lian (ex A1 GP pilot) set a 2:42 at Sepang with the stock standard RS250. Recently he went back with the same car shod with R888s and set a 2:38. This is over a 5km track.

Redd

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to give you an idea, Denis Lian (ex A1 GP pilot) set a 2:42 at Sepang with the stock standard RS250. Recently he went back with the same car shod with R888s and set a 2:38. This is over a 5km track.

Redd
Someone should do a thread on that as I'm sure there is a video on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Someone should do a thread on that as I'm sure there is a video on it.
The video is in the first post of this thread. Denis posted the time quite early in the morning at temps maybe just below 30*C. I was there for the same event and Denis did mention he can't repeat the time as the temperature rose later in the morning. But for those in cooler weather surely there's that 4-5 seconds off or more compared to the stock tyres.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The video is in the first post of this thread. Denis posted the time quite early in the morning at temps maybe just below 30*C. I was there for the same event and Denis did mention he can't repeat the time as the temperature rose later in the morning. But for those in cooler weather surely there's that 4-5 seconds off or more compared to the stock tyres.

My 2 cents.
Cheers. I found the older 2:43 lap vid on stock tyres and I reckon the temp was exactly 38 Deg C:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZq3ygNnP0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I wonder if anyone has found a vid with the 2:38 lap on R888s where it goes 5 secs quicker. That would be useful.

·
Registered
780 Posts
At my local track, over a 2 minute lap r888s give about 2.5 to 3s a lap advantage over a very high performance road tyre like PS2s.

So, for a very long track like Sepang something over 4s sounds perfectly feasible.
At a more typical shorter British track lap time below 90s you would typically be looking at 2s a lap or so.

In my own experience for a properly hot long lap with r888s with a heavy FWD turbo charged car you probably will only get near the best possible time with a Very gentle warmup and one flying lap..

·
Registered
780 Posts
The R888s are very compromised semi slick tyres, of course they will be way quicker in the dry, but no where near as much faster as road tyres would be than r888s on track in a downpour.
R888s are fine in damp and light rain on track, not an ideal road tyre by any stretch though, noisy, wear 4 times quicker than standard, dangerous in cold wet sloppy conditions. For these reasons, they (along with similar tyres) will soon be illegal for road use..

5 seconds

That is an amazing difference.

Are the factory tyre's not up to mark?

Can you imagine on a cold day with removed rear seats, CL pads all around, Stage 2 mapping on the 888's what timings you could achieve.

30 seconds off a ring time for the 250?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The R888s are very compromised semi slick tyres, of course they will be way quicker in the dry, but no where near as much faster as road tyres would be than r888s on track in a downpour.
R888s are fine in damp and light rain on track, not an ideal road tyre by any stretch though, noisy, wear 4 times quicker than standard, dangerous in cold wet sloppy conditions. For these reasons, they (along with similar tyres) will soon be illegal for road use..
What's the latest on this trailbraker date wise? Will be a sad day for my exige when fitting it with road tyres.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't know actually, once I got a separate set of wheels for track Tyres that fit snuggly in the boot it didn't worry me too much.
I can see a slight problem fitting 4 wheels into an Elise alright :)

Modest Stockpiling might be an option, if they allow currently shod cars to remain on the road. I guess they must do? Since they have the (E) mark.

..love Exiges :)

What's the latest on this trailbraker date wise? Will be a sad day for my exige when fitting it with road tyres.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts