Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
interested in this also, gearbox and shafts the same? engine mounts the same? electrics to the dashboard?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
A very uneconomic conversion for very little benefit - unless the R26 engine already has no engine.

Standalone ECU's also produce more problems than they are worth on a road car.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
A decent spec standalone ECU fully integrated, calibrated, set-up and dyno tested would cost almost as much as the engine.

You then need to consider all the extensive OEM ECU functionality you also lose.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Too many clever people here worried about your money. I would call k-tec or rs-tuning, they should give you more info. Good luck !

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cost is not the issue for a number of reasons. Mechanically will it fit...standalone sits along side OEM ecu.

·
Premium Member
4,798 Posts
Standalone or Piggy Back?
I was thinking the same...

People aint concerned about your money as the saying goes "a fool and there money are easily parted"
Not saying your a fool but if you weigh up the costs, its not worth it, unless the engine in the meg has went bang!!

People are more thinking "why all the effort when a hybrid turbo with all the trimming will be cheaper and most likely faster than a stage 2 250"?

Im sure if your going to the hassle and expense of buying a engine, box, etc, then getting some custom mounts wont be a big issue, if the standard ones dont fit.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not an issue about money not because I'm throwing the money at it but I've access to the parts (including the engine and lsd gearbox) already for 'good' money through a friend who had similar plans. I have a donor car that may become a track day tool. From what I read, the rs250 engine is a modified 225 engine. Therefore 'should' fit. My thinking is the 250 engine mapped already gives you close to 300bhp. Bits and pieces, easy 325bhp. I also have Gotec from previous project. If it all fits......

·
Premium Member
4,798 Posts
This sounds like an interesting project :)

I'm sure the cat, turbo, manifold and basic block are the same, the 250 has vvt so the mount might be different to accomidate the pulleys, etc.
I'm not sure about the gearbox/ drivetrain will be the same. If they are different then the hubs might have to be changed along with the brakes...unless a r26 box will couple up to a 250 engine.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Not an issue about money not because I'm throwing the money at it but I've access to the parts (including the engine and lsd gearbox) already for 'good' money through a friend who had similar plans. I have a donor car that may become a track day tool. From what I read, the rs250 engine is a modified 225 engine. Therefore 'should' fit. My thinking is the 250 engine mapped already gives you close to 300bhp. Bits and pieces, easy 325bhp. I also have Gotec from previous project. If it all fits......
You would be a project pathfinder for sure.

If you are looking at a serious track day car, are you also considering going down a complimentary chassis, suspension and brake modification route?

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
Engine box ecu loom shafts and hubs. I expect plus the upc and dash looms has any one got 325 bhp out of a 250 yet? The cost well you won't know till you add it all up when it done.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. Like most RS, the blocks are similar externally. Thats why the same block has being fitted in clio 172, 182 and most recently a meg r26 in a 197 (including gearbox). Just read....Under Renault Sport, the RS 250’s twin scroll turbocharger squeezes a whopping 250bhp and 340Nm of torque out of its 2.0-litre 16-valve engine. Although using the same block with the older R26, 25% of the RS 250’s engine components are new, among them intake ports, reinforced pistons and conrods, sodium-cooled valves and piston ring carrier.......

The two engines look similar and appear to mount the same. Gearbox comes with lsd but the hubs are different. I'm guessing I'll need new driveshafts to fit existing hubs, hybrid shafts maybe? Ecu will remain standard but I'll use a piggyback system to manage engine. This is a interesting project, costs are low has I've inherented the parts to date for less than 1000 and if nothing else keeps me out of the wifes way. Working with garage who's had many feature cars and an auto-electrician who's mated looms and fitted various management systems.

The question was simply to find out if anyone had done this yet but it would appear might be the first. The last time I looked a rs250 cost 20k. Also the costs of forgin' a r26, will be less than the cost of the project. Looked at rs250 forum, map alone 300bhp. Exhaust, filter, decat and intercooler = 325bhp.

·
www.rsmegane.com
11,432 Posts
right, i asked nicely, points have been handed out and infractions too. Anymore of this attitude and people will start getting bans, the forum rules are clear, not our issue if you dont bother to read them or adhere to them.... posts have been deleted and the thread cleaned up.

neither myself nor other mods want to log onto a site we have spent many a year on and enjoyed to clean peoples bitching and crap up.

feel free to crack on guys about the subject matter.

·
Registered
472 Posts
right, i asked nicely, points have been handed out and infractions too. Anymore of this attitude and people will start getting bans, the forum rules are clear, not our issue if you dont bother to read them or adhere to them.... posts have been deleted and the thread cleaned up.

neither myself nor other mods want to log onto a site we have spent many a year on and enjoyed to clean peoples bitching and crap up.

feel free to crack on guys about the subject matter.
Has he been banned too Naith ?????

·
www.rsmegane.com
11,432 Posts
You havent been banned. Just issued points. thats that fella. We dont take these decisions lightly. People can now see you cant come on here post personal insults and swear words, negative attitude, etc.

if you dont agree you do not have to log on do you.

forum rules are there for all to see.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Ok. Like most RS, the blocks are similar externally. Thats why the same block has being fitted in clio 172, 182 and most recently a meg r26 in a 197 (including gearbox). Just read....Under Renault Sport, the RS 250’s twin scroll turbocharger squeezes a whopping 250bhp and 340Nm of torque out of its 2.0-litre 16-valve engine. Although using the same block with the older R26, 25% of the RS 250’s engine components are new, among them intake ports, reinforced pistons and conrods, sodium-cooled valves and piston ring carrier.......

The two engines look similar and appear to mount the same. Gearbox comes with lsd but the hubs are different. I'm guessing I'll need new driveshafts to fit existing hubs, hybrid shafts maybe? Ecu will remain standard but I'll use a piggyback system to manage engine. This is a interesting project, costs are low has I've inherented the parts to date for less than 1000 and if nothing else keeps me out of the wifes way. Working with garage who's had many feature cars and an auto-electrician who's mated looms and fitted various management systems.

The question was simply to find out if anyone had done this yet but it would appear might be the first. The last time I looked a rs250 cost 20k. Also the costs of forgin' a r26, will be less than the cost of the project. Looked at rs250 forum, map alone 300bhp. Exhaust, filter, decat and intercooler = 325bhp.
back on track. I am sure your the first one to attempt this and I think you have already answered most of your question in the above post.
you will see above 300 bhp on a 250 engine without breaking the bank and with easy mods whereas if you try it with the r26 engine you will run up a tidy bill and a lot of work to run a safe car.
keep us updated as it would be nice to see a finished result on this project.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts