Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the 250's trump card by any means (straight line stuff), but a very even blast.. Golf R has DSG, but so does the Meg owners arms by the sounds of it.. lol.

http://www.youtube.com/user/m5boarddotcom#p/u/6/r0nIa0W6qCo

20bhp and 100+kgs difference makes for a close race..

For those who haven't seen the M5board vids, they're worth a look. Everything from top end super cars to hot hatches (+ some other mental bits of kit too)..

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Interesting results! I thought the extra power would have given the golf the edge.

This sort of thing does show how pointless 0-60 stats are, and yet everyone is still so caught up in them.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These sort of events are the best and only way to test/compare a car's straight line ability. No where to hide with 4WD and LC starts..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Can't believe how well the Megane was in this,always thought a DSG Golf R would be much ahead of the meg in a straight line race,by the vids,acceleration tests ive seen...,the meg driver can shift pretty well.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Golf R is 4WD and in a test where it's more a hindrance than a benefit (no standing start). It's also about 100kgs heavier and only has 20bhp more, so pretty much what I would expect tbh. Just a cracking race IMO..
Scirocco R would be a different result all together..

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
The Golf R is 4WD and in a test where it's more a hindrance than a benefit (no standing start). It's also about 100kgs heavier and only has 20bhp more, so pretty much what I would expect tbh. Just a cracking race IMO..
Scirocco R would be a different result all together..
Do you think from a standing start the golf would win?. Would the scirocco be slower as it is heavier?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The Golf from a standing start would have a decent advantage. It should open up a gap and stay there.

The Scirocco is known for being pretty close to the Meg with regards to track times (usually just behind, depending on the track), and a little faster in a straight line thanks to the extra power.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I drove an R a few weeks ago , lovely car but feels positively boring compared to the 250, 250 feels much more alive so makes it feel faster , apart from standing start I think the megane has the edge on the golf

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Obviously not talking track times here (as we know the Meg is better round the curves), just straight line. The Rocco R is a fair bit quicker in a straight line compared to the Golf, due to it being 100kgs lighter and FWD.

Both cars in same state of tune, but look what happens once rolling..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KD65Ya318c

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.