Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... Evo mag have just pitted the 265 trophy versus the Mugen 2.2 Civic Type R on the Bedford West circuit.

The 265 walked all over the Jap and popped in a lap time of 1:26.1. A new FWD lap record for the West circuit and easily beating the old record holder R26R (1:27.8). The Jap?...a 1:27.2 lap time.

The Civic was even on Yoko Neova rubber and at £40K has to be the classed as a bit of a Joke.

That was a great result for the 265 and follows on from the Ring record.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
How can the 265 be so quick on just different rubber thats not anything special?

It was well reported in several magazine that the 250 was making far more BHP than the quoted 250.
In one dyno test it was only 10BHP down on a Focus RS,and that was more than 265.

I thought the trophy has no chassis revisions,so were is all the extra pace coming from?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How can the 265 be so quick on just different rubber thats not anything special?

It was well reported in several magazine that the 250 was making far more BHP than the quoted 250.
In one dyno test it was only 10BHP down on a Focus RS,and that was more than 265.

I thought the trophy has no chassis revisions,so were is all the extra pace coming from?
It does make you wonder. Press car.....

The Type R Mugen had 256 Bhp and weighs in at a lightweight 1233 Kg, but it's all top end engine frenzy and difficult to extract the pace. The thing is also a heavily 'tuned' stock motor, so it's failings in this comparison are even more evident.

The 265 just had the balance, brakes, stability and chassis. Efficient is the word.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts

"press cars" no doubt. Usually selected because they are the best of the batch. No modding whatsoever.........honest. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
That I understand. However I have (first hand) seen how they are "maintained". Not Renault in fairness but they are very well looked after.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Couldn't believe it,when i saw the 2.2 conversion of the type 20 Mugen (265 bhp) i said this is the end for the R26.r,supposing that the Trophy is slower round a track than a R26.r,and considering the MUgen 20 time (240 hp) 1.28.00 is slower than R26.r but much faster than the 250 (with 10 bhp more),Bhp doesn't matter that much in Bedford ,it is not a 100% power track but than i expected the Mugen 2.2 to walk all over the 265 considering all the weight advantage. 1 sec faster is something blisteringly fast for the Trophy considering all that. Great result whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
I believe the engine in the 250 offers a lot more pace........forget about what stat's you read.

I had a short burst against my old 225. The 225 was Stage 1 mapped and the 250 was standard at the time. The 250 seemed to just pull easily past it. Myself and the new owner of the 225 were shocked at the difference

Maybe the larger turbo create's much better power through the rev range - haven't got rolling road graphs to compare at the mo

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
Impressive stuff indeed from the 265, guess that's what you come to expect from Renault though - if only it came in a decent colour!!

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
The Trophy tested in Sportauto,was only just faster than the standard RS250 around Hockenheim,and set pretty slow acceleration times,0-100 km/h 6.4 secs.
So definitely not a special press.
The times were around 2.5 secs a lap slower than a M3 and TT RS,so not sure why it done so well in this test

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
The Trophy tested in Sportauto,was only just faster than the standard RS250 around Hockenheim,and set pretty slow acceleration times,0-100 km/h 6.4 secs.
So definitely not a special press.
The times were around 2.5 secs a lap slower than a M3 and TT RS,so not sure why it done so well in this test
TBH you can cut half the circuit at bedford west - that's why they put cones up on their "how fast are you?" days. Bedford is a wide open track with masses of run-off/shortcuts. Hence why its so safe - great place to really push a car to its limits.

Sticking within the lines/cones is a fair bit slower than running the kerbs/grasscrete - so it'd be interesting to see the lines taken + the west circuit will deffo favour a well sorted FWD car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The mugen civcs are all over priced gimmicks imho

My track hack ep3 makes significantly more power with bolt-ons and cams, than that bored, stroked hand built mugen k20z.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts