Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys... Im considering an ICE set up with a 5 channel amp...

Ill get the signal from the OEM HU and feed the amp. Ill use Pioneer's TS-Q131C up front and the TS-E1376 for the rear doors (when I manage to get through the door cards that is)....

Anyway... I still havent made up my mind regarding which free air sub system to use... But I was wondering if any of you have a 5 channel amp running in your meggy? Id be great to listen to your opinion regarding brands and specs

If not... any other feedback/advice would be equally welcome...

Cheers!

Al.

PS: Im documenting the install of the rear door speakers btw... Ill post it when ready

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Never really seen many 5 channel amps.

If you're planning to run amped speakers up front it might be worth running the front two on a smaller 2 channel installed under a seat or something????

Then having the rear ones running off a bridgeable 4 channel amp in your boot along with two channels bridged to a sub! :?

Just a thought! :D :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had a 6 channel in my Vec. It was a cracking amp mate.

JBL 755.6 was the model number, you have 2 channels for the front, 2 for the rear and 2 to bridge for the sub. This way you haven't got loads of thick power cables all over the car.

Low Cost Car Audio I got mine for £120 though this is just an example.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alex_172 said:
Never really seen many 5 channel amps.

If you're planning to run amped speakers up front it might be worth running the front two on a smaller 2 channel installed under a seat or something????

Then having the rear ones running off a bridgeable 4 channel amp in your boot along with two channels bridged to a sub! :?

Just a thought! :D :D
Hi Alex... Yep... ur right... not many multi channel amps around... But its my only choice if I want to keep cabling and install to a minimum...

Im still thinking whats the best set up with a single 5ch amp... Until now the 4 door speakers plus free-air sub on a stealth-shelf is winning... the other alternative would be a 4 channel amp feeding the front components, cancelling the rear doors and running a set of full range 6x9's....

What do you think?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
That sounds like a pretty good plan if you want to minimise cabling etc.

I used to have a 4 channel amp running two 6x9s at 300w each and the other two channels bridged to a sub at 600w. The volume was enough for me not to worry about front speakers haha. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
andy bassett said:
where you going to get the RCA feed from matey to feed the amp ?
I'll either go for an amp that accepts line-level inputs or find a tech wizzard that can open up my HU and give me access to the pre-amp signal...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
andy bassett said:
why dont you just buy the box that connects to your speakers wires on the back of the radio then which then converts the signal into 2 RCAs for you,

its a small black box with 4 speaker wires coming out one end and two RCAs the other end.
Do you know where could I get it? I mean.. i know its out there... but no idea which is which in terms of quality...

Thanks andy

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
belive it or not iv fitted about 4 of these things and they have all bin from halford and the are a great way of keeping your standard radio inplace and getting a set of RCAs to feed your amps,

there abour £20 i think, ill see if i can get a pic for you.

andy.

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
Alonso225 said:
andy bassett said:
why dont you just buy the box that connects to your speakers wires on the back of the radio then which then converts the signal into 2 RCAs for you,

its a small black box with 4 speaker wires coming out one end and two RCAs the other end.
Do you know where could I get it? I mean.. i know its out there... but no idea which is which in terms of quality...

Thanks andy
here you go mate look abit like this but the one from halford is in a we box with two gain ajustable screws on it

http://www.autoleads.co.uk/system_adaptors.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
andy bassett said:
or there is this one ( 2nd from bottom ) which will cut the signal being sent to the rear pseakers and give the rca feed instead whick will allow you to amp them instead,

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/ISO_Connectors.htm

just cant seem to find the little box that i use.
Once again.. thanx Andy... The one you mention you have, with the adjustable gain controls, seems to be the best choice for its adjustability...

Please let me know when you find it..

tks m8!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
andy bassett said:
just cant seem to find the little box that i use.
Is this the one Andy?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SFX-HIGH-LEVEL-SPEAKER-TO-RCA-LINE-CONVERTER-NEW_W0QQitemZ9717363403QQcategoryZ14932QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting[/url]

Seems quite neat. Most ive seen seem to be more like a couple of transistors wrapped in shrink tubing...

Let me know what you think...

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
yes thats the bugger, very good VFM to :lol:

you just cut into the front or rear speaker wires that go into the back of the radio and connect the wire from the we box to
left +
right+
left-
right-

and presto, you got a set or RCAs to feed the rear amps and the bonus bit is all the standard speakers will work and you get to keep your standard head unit, :D

hope yhe info helps you matey.

andy :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
andy bassett said:
hope yhe info helps you matey. andy :p
Re. the speaker-to-RCA converter...Helped loads m8! I already bought one from ebay... Should be arriving soon.

Now... This is currently the setup im eye-balling... It is prioritizing stealthness and space usage over loudness... So with that in mind, I think itll do its job...

Amplfier:

http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/sh...ductJJ2050ZZcategoryJJ/AMPLIFIERS/4-CHANNEL-/

Sub:

http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/sh...tJJ2242ZZcategoryJJ/SPEAKERS/AMPLIFIED-BOXES/

Front Speakers: (Installed)

http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/sh...uctNameZZcategoryJJ/SPEAKERS/AMPLIFIED-BOXES/

Rear Speakers (Bought)

http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/sh...uctNameZZcategoryJJ/SPEAKERS/AMPLIFIED-BOXES/

Head unit: OEM

Let me know what you think... Speciall in the sub section... Im not excited about 6.5" drivers, but thats the most compact one I could find. Regarding the location; I was thinking the amp at one side of the boot (the vertical walls) and the sub box at the other...

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Looks good mate,

Will you be running the front and rear speakers off the oem head unit or through the amp.

I'd be interested how you rate them just off the existing head unit without the amp installed.

Cheers,

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mike_d225 said:
Will you be running the front and rear speakers off the oem head unit or through the amp.
Initially (until I buy the amp) Ill run the front door speakers with the OEM HU only, the output from the rear speakers will serve as signal to feed the sub box, so I wont have any sound coming from the rear doors

When I get the amp, Ill run the front and rear speakers through it. otherwise, it (the amp) would have no reason of being. The Kenwood sub box is 'active', (ie has an internal amp)

mike_d225 said:
I'd be interested how you rate them just off the existing head unit without the amp installed.
What is exactly that you're interested in knowing?

OEM+Aftermarket speakers only?

OEM+Aftermarket speakers+Sub box?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hi Alonso225

OEM + aftermarket speakers only,

I like the idea of the whole system looking standard with an improvement of the quality and a little more bass. Would like to install a sub box in the boot but need the room for buggies, scooters, bikes, baby born dolls, carry cots and all the other sorts of shit that are associated with little people.

Also as the speakers are direct replacement, do they fit without cutting the plastic covers on the door cards?

Cheers,

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mike_d225 said:
OEM + aftermarket speakers only
Half done. Except the rear speakers (need to pick them up from the post today

mike_d225 said:
I like the idea of the whole system looking standard with an improvement of the quality and a little more bass.
That was exactly my criteria. Although i wouldve loved to change the HU, it wouldve been impossible to make my S.O. remember to detach the faceplate and/or not put it in the glove compartment. Besides, I do feel that, eventhough it is not the best sound, the dashboard looks real good with the OEM. Again, its a compromise

mike_d225 said:
Would like to install a sub box in the boot but need the room for buggies, scooters, bikes, baby born dolls, carry cots and all the other sorts of shit that are associated with little people.
If you, like me, are more interested in space rather than bass.... then you should consider the Kenwood box Im looking at or:

a.- Kenwood KFC-WDA96RC (parcel shelf mounted 6x9 free air subs that come with a Class D mono amp and retail at about £120. You need to consider the MDF stealth shelf (£70) too btw. You also need to bear in mind that the speakers plus the shelf will rob you of some height inside your boot (ie: wont be able to fit a big flat top box right up to the shelf level)

b. Installing a sub and amp 'A-la-Andy-Basset' in the the spare wheel well. He fitted a 15" sub and amp and a capacitor. So I cant see why, with a little work, fit a 8" or 10" sub + box and amp 'without' removing the styrofoam that holds the jack and foam can as Andy had to do due to the size of his mammoth sub...

mike_d225 said:
Also as the speakers are direct replacement, do they fit without cutting the plastic covers on the door cards?
The fronts are, bizarrely, the only speakers in the Pioneer catalogue specifically designed for renault and to which they dedicate a whole page of their brochure. They're quite special; the magnet is place In Front of the speaker! and the cone is made of yellow kevlar fibre. The install cant be more straight forward. To install the tweeters you just need a flat screw driver and literally drop them in place. The front mids are just a matter of unscrewing and conecting the OEM plugs. No need to cut anything!

The rears are completely different kettle of fish... Clearly not meant to be replaced, although I will! Ive bought a pair of TS-E1376 and plan to install them soon. Taking the door card is an Experience in itself! ha!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts