Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since reading Januarys issue of EVO I've been sampling a few different fuels. For the last 4 years I've been religiously using OPTIMAX so its fair to say I know how my car performs on it. Over the holidays I decided to give the 225 a few tanks full of BP Ultimate which to my surprise definetly made a difference low down in the revs, to the point that the bloody thing insists on spinning up in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear as soon as I hit full boost (granted my tyres are worn). To confirm my findings I topped up the 1/3rd of a tank of Ultimate I had left with ASDA 95RON and believe it or not its the best form of traction control I've come across. The car still spins up in 1st (although not as much) but no matter how much I try come rain or shine it wont spin in 2nd or 3rd. Dont get me wrong once I have my new tyres and the weather improves I'll be using Ultimate all the time (maybe the odd tank of OPTIMAX for its cleaning properties) but until then I'll stick with the 95RON (maybe :roll: )

G

·
I've been using 95 for the last month and my average MPG has improved from 22-23 to 24-25.....

Is there anything in the manual to say that the recommended fuel is 98?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark200780 said:
I've been using 95 for the last month and my average MPG has improved from 22-23 to 24-25.....

Is there anything in the manual to say that the recommended fuel is 98?
I found that my MPG went down with 95RON. Probably because I have to give it more welly :)

Have'nt checked the manual personally but I believe it does recommend 98RON.

G

·
I've used optimax since I've had the car, it was recommended by a Clio 182 driver, he recons it make a difference in mpg. But I'm wondering what the benefits of spending an extra few £ each time I fill up.

I get around 26mpg, mainly A/B road thrashing I mean driving with a little town stuff.

What I have noticed is a large amount of black soot around the exhausts and on the paint work below, is that normal?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Olly said:
What I have noticed is a large amount of black soot around the exhausts and on the paint work below, is that normal?
Yep thats normal mate, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
andy bassett said:
i just put in wat ever is the cheapest wen i fill up, never really bothered with that 98 ron stuff.
I'm glad diesel costs more then, or you'd be right in the sh*t!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
On a serious note, i had a zafira that was lpg and it was 40p a litre
they have converted the astra turbo and it runs fine

would be worth looking into on the megane but you do lose a little power(about 3% i think)

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
andy bassett said:
so if you get a remap, make it run on LPG your stll looking at around 240-250 bhp, thats not bad for a megane with gas :D

Where you going to put your tank then! :wink:

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
You've still got your spare wheel tray so voila!

Wheel tank and your sorted won't need to lower that back then!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Exactly chuck it in the boot!

your looking at £1000 ish for installation but you will be running at 50mpg easy, so will soon pay for itself!

It was actually a place in Salisbury next to Janspeed that i discussed it with
phil

1 - 20 of 23 Posts