Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im selling my cbr, never gets used, i want a cheaper car to track, cheap tyres, breaks etc etc oh and sumthing i havent invested 12k in incase i wrap it into a tyre wall.

i love 106 rallyes, my brother had one years back, ive spent weekes drawling over them and low and behold one ive seen is his old s1 rallye with 1.6 16v conversion and 708 cams and partially stripped with cage, fate lol.
also ive seen a lovley s1 rallye fully striped to a high standerd and still running the sweet little 1300cc engine.

the two i have seen are on the 106rallye registar forum so im unsure if you lot could veiw them but i do reconise a few usernames on their so i knw their are a few fans on here.

ill post the links just in case tho

http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/showthread.php?t=81385

thats the sweet 1.3 and below is my bros old 16v

http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2008/showthread.php?t=83344

any of you who are fans please let me know what you think of these and what you would go for if your where after these, also any mod advice on the 1300 lump would be appreciated as im unsure of what can be achived, i knw the 16v is good for 160bhp+ on cams and TBs eaisly.

also im considering a cheap 172 which i bet most of you favour on here, ive seen a cheap one about and knw big power can be gained quite eaisly with a trip to ktec, again advice on what you lot would prefer or recormend please as i know a lot still own or have owned 172/182s on here.

im asking on here as to be honest most advice on here is good and sensible advice and i know a lot of you, pluss it should be to biast, ive been on the other forums also for info, pluss its a good talking point on here for hot mini hatches.

dont panic im not sellin my meg, i love track time and want to do a lot more but my meg costs me a bomb in tyres and pads, also its my pride and joy and my 3 rotation spin at oulton made me realsie it could eaisly soon be gone, also i cant strip it any more, its on the edge of lossing its daily runner useablity already.

i appoliges to any mods if this post would be better suitied to links or ebay type section, i was unsure but dont want to make your job harder, if im wrong please move it and i appoligise in advance.

thanks for any advice on these models im new to and hopefully might start a wee debate on the best track cars or the best classic hatches etc, that would be intertesting

thanks again

eric

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Dont know much on rallye's but my 182 was a whirl of fun! Little gokart and with little money u can get them to handle even better. For track you want the 172cup, no abs/traction, no air con, foam seats, stripped out basically be great fun for track

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that would be my aim cheap 172, stripped, little power mods, go race lol, if i dont get one now i certainly aim to own at least one

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
Theyre all okish alternatives.

But tbh get some decent tyres, maybe 2 sets, for you meg. Get some tuition and get out there in your meg. Itll be miles better and youll enjoy every minute of it. The others will just seem kinda "naff" by comparison. No point having a car as awesome as yours and not using it properly - a little risk always focuses the mind anyway.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Theyre all okish alternatives.

But tbh get some decent tyres, maybe 2 sets, for you meg. Get some tuition and get out there in your meg. Itll be miles better and youll enjoy every minute of it. The others will just seem kinda "naff" by comparison. No point having a car as awesome as yours and not using it properly - a little risk always focuses the mind anyway.
i genually cant afford the risk i use it every day and i have a set of track wheels and R888s already and have instruction and will get more but on so many ocasions ive near hit some plonker in a bmw whos all over the track spinning etc, others pose a hudge risk pluss my odd mix up, want something cheap to learn and gain more experiance, ill still do the odd the trackday in the meg, once my meg gets a bit older and my life style changes and i need or get a new road car i will fully track prep my meg but atm me and my gf use it daily, cant live with out it if i smash it and cant strip it any more. maybe soon enuf me and the lass will get a second car as she due changeing her corsa then i can get away with dedicating the meg to the track but the corsa aint the best for are main or only road car. pluss its a bita fun can always sell it on.

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
well saxo vts there really cheap now adays but yeah i think your ride i wouldnt take the chance on your megane on track. not all the time any way.
cheap 172 would be my fav but watch what you buy

·
Premium Member
8,005 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Now you know to leave that traction button alone Eric you should been fine with the meg. Lol.
I know what you mean thou with the price of 18" tyres etc, I'm always looking at 182's but extra insurance, tax etc always puts me off.
Live on the edge pal, says me who leaves his exige in the garage.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
i genually cant afford the risk i use it every day and i have a set of track wheels and R888s already and have instruction and will get more but on so many ocasions ive near hit some plonker in a bmw whos all over the track spinning etc, others pose a hudge risk pluss my odd mix up, want something cheap to learn and gain more experiance, ill still do the odd the trackday in the meg, once my meg gets a bit older and my life style changes and i need or get a new road car i will fully track prep my meg but atm me and my gf use it daily, cant live with out it if i smash it and cant strip it any more. maybe soon enuf me and the lass will get a second car as she due changeing her corsa then i can get away with dedicating the meg to the track but the corsa aint the best for are main or only road car. pluss its a bita fun can always sell it on.
Both of those 106's look like cracking motors and track ready - if that is what you want. No work required and someone has invested the time, money and effort already. They are not going to be an everyday or dual role type car though and there will be big cost implications if you are looking for more power. Raw, capable for what they are but also probably at the ceiling of development without further large investment in 16V etc.

As a basic platform to play with and if you like to modify yourself, the 172 is a much better starting point due to the stock engine and power. Poobah has flagged up a good example of what’s out there. They are easy to strip have good stock brakes (HC front discs excepted) and you only just need to sort the suspension if running well below 1000 kg kerb. If you don’t go crazy with the mods it can also be more of a daily runner and back up to the Meg. K-TEC will only give a 172 more power (as you did mention this) if you give them plenty dosh and you go forced induction or bodies. Both not worth it at the cheaper end of trackday motoring. You would be better off investing in suspension, tyres or tuition.

Your choice, but don’t just get hooked on the hardware. Think about the fun value and how much you will actually need to budget and fund those frequent trackdays.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now you know to leave that traction button alone Eric you should been fine with the meg. Lol.
I know what you mean thou with the price of 18" tyres etc, I'm always looking at 182's but extra insurance, tax etc always puts me off.
Live on the edge pal, says me who leaves his exige in the garage.
Haha il leave it on, its my pride and joy and daily runner dnt wana damager her with them plonker u get on track and i cant afford to keep eating pads and tyres, get the exige around oulton lol.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both of those 106's look like cracking motors and track ready - if that is what you want. No work required and someone has invested the time, money and effort already. They are not going to be an everyday or dual role type car though and there will be big cost implications if you are looking for more power. Raw, capable for what they are but also probably at the ceiling of development without further large investment in 16V etc.

As a basic platform to play with and if you like to modify yourself, the 172 is a much better starting point due to the stock engine and power. Poobah has flagged up a good example of what’s out there. They are easy to strip have good stock brakes (HC front discs excepted) and you only just need to sort the suspension if running well below 1000 kg kerb. If you don’t go crazy with the mods it can also be more of a daily runner and back up to the Meg. K-TEC will only give a 172 more power (as you did mention this) if you give them plenty dosh and you go forced induction or bodies. Both not worth it at the cheaper end of trackday motoring. You would be better off investing in suspension, tyres or tuition.

Your choice, but don’t just get hooked on the hardware. Think about the fun value and how much you will actually need to budget and fund those frequent trackdays.
Yeah both the rallyes have most of the outlay done already and Wil make for a fun trackday car, the 172 as u said is a Awsome platform to start with and already has good power with no payout which is good on a budget but aint al that cheap to run and are expensive to mod if i wantd at a later date, the Rallyes are cheaper to run and a 16v lump aint that expensive at a later date, i think ther very capable as they are in order for me to get trackday time and instruction to improve my skills, and parts aint al that pricey neither.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts