Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one for their Megane 225????

I had one in my old 172 and it was quality, better sound from the 6x9s and the speakers were hidden.

Just wondered if anyone had one and where they got it from? :D

G

·
Silly question but...

Do these After market rear parcel shelves come with the "strings" to attach to the rear door so when you open it, the shelf hangs from it?

PS: Dave... I notice that you have the original radio... Is this right? If so... how did you connect your amp?

PPS: Do you think the parcel shelf would hold an amp if installed upside down?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know the seller for that shelf mate??? Was it in kit form or already cut and put together ready to have the 6x9s attached??? Looks good though.

Doesn't look like that shelf had the string attached to hang it, I had one in my old Clio that had the string. Thing is you wouldn't want to hang it from the boot as they are damn heavy with the speakers on!!

Wouldn't recommend putting an amp uspside down under one, generally amps are designed to disperse heat out of the top, if its upside you may find it overheats. :? I think anyway lol

G

·
Alex_172 said:
Do you know the seller for that shelf mate??? Was it in kit form or already cut and put together ready to have the 6x9s attached??? Looks good though.
This is the one ive been looking at

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1770.html

they come pre assembled... but ive seen what I think is the manufacturer's site... and they sell them to you in parts, and you put them together... And for a fee... they can cut out the holes for you...

G

·
Alex_172 said:
Wouldn't recommend putting an amp uspside down under one, generally amps are designed to disperse heat out of the top, if its upside you may find it overheats. :? I think anyway lol
You're right alex... I knew that... But I was thinking of using a low powered amp... anyway... Im struggling ... cause

a. im keeping the head unit
b. I want the LEAST intrusiveness in my boot, dont want a sub box (that why, if I decide to, would go for the parcel-shelf mounted 6x9 subs)...

Actually... im also considering an amp (but where?!) and a pair of slamming 6x9 on the parcel shelf... (like the ole' days!)... Ny concern with this option is that the sound would be very rear biased...

·
Site Admin
20,189 Posts
Alex, ill try and find the chap on Ebay for you. It came already made, the only thing i had to do was to cut the holes for the speakers. Which was a good idea, as i can the decide which way i wanted them. It can come with strings, however, i decided against it as it is quite a heavy shelf and would pull the boot down with a gush of wind.

Alonoso, it is my original headunit, i took it to a car stereo place and i think they wired it up from my built-in amp. If yours is the standard head unit, it is a piece of cake wiring up an amp. I wanted to keep it as stadard looking as possible, as to save any idiot smashing the window and nicking the stereo. Not that i could change this headunit anyway !!!

As you can see by the pics above, ive fitted a sub. Its velcro'd on the bottom for easy removal and ive put a banana connection in, so it just unplugs and comes out, as easy as taking the shopping out the boot !!! So if you waned a sub, for that extra bit of base, its possible.

Ive also done the same for the 6x9's. So if i wanted to take the shelf out at any time, again, its easy peasy.

It'll all be there for the FCS, if you wanted a nose round it mate.

·
Site Admin
20,189 Posts
G

·
Davelee225 said:
What i have done with mine is have all the car speakers connected. I have had the two 6x9's wired up, running form the amp as well as the sub. Mine is a bit more complicated as its not connected to the bac kof the stereo. They have had to do it from the built in amp already, that comes with the upgraded stereo.
Thank you Dave for all your input!

You've actually inspired me... If I use the the signal from the rear speakers (with a Line-to-pre out converter) I could connect a 4ch amp and power the door speakers... Plus I could daisy-chain the amp (the usually have RCA outputs) to hook up the kenwood Class D amp that powers the 6x9 parcel shelf subs...

What do you think of that setup?

PS: So you have an amp running your sub and the 6x9's in the shelf and the head unit running the door (OEM?) speakers

G

·
Davelee225 said:
Alonso, it is my original headunit, i took it to a car stereo place and i think they wired it up from my built-in amp.
Dave... Do you think I could contact the company that did the wiring for your HU?

If im going to go thru the trouble of adding an external amp and sub at least I would like to get a cleaner signal from the head unit (not the one already amplied by the crappy internal amp. But its a job I cant tackle by myself... I want someone to get the signal "before" it reaches the HU's internal amp... ie An RCA/Phono Pre-Out signal. Do you think this can be done?

G

·
Davelee225 said:
As yours is the standard headunit, singe cd with the 6 cdchanger underneath, it won't have the built in amp mate.
Im sorry, I think I didnt not express myself correctly. I meant not an external amp but an on-board internal amp ('inside' the head unit itself). The signal from the player or the tuner needs to be amplified somewhere, otherwise you would not be able to hear anything coming from the speakers. That is the amp I want to by pass. But for that you need to open up the unit (and know what you're looking for... Which I dont) Thats why I thought the guys that did your HU might help...

G

·
Davelee225 said:
Does it??. Can say that they didn't do that with mine or my other halfs pug.

I can give you their details if you still want them mate.
It does! Its tiny and it wont look like a mini external amp... Just a card, transistors and a chip plus a tiny aluminium heat sink... But an amplifier it is..

And yes Dave... It be gr8 to have the details... Can I give your name? or any reference so they know what Im talking about ?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those links to those shelves on ebay looks cool mate!! Looks like I'll be asking for one of them for my birthday as well haha.

Looks easy enough to be able to remove the under side of the shelf, make the holes then put it back together.

I had looked at the Auto Acoustics shelves but they are about £120 and I can't be arsed with a kit form one for about £70.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds good to me mate, I don't have the tools to do but I'm sure I know a man who does.

I take it the material used to cover the shelf is stretched accross the whole thing, rather than being just over the speaker holes?? :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts