Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and to renaultsport ownership - my RS250 is coming on friday :D Couldn't be more excited (and impatient)

Probably more sensible to wait til after the facelift, but my existing car had a turbo issue and needed to go fairly urgently, so time was a factor. Anywho, i was looking at '10 cars anyway, so figured this would be less of an issue.

Ideally i'd have liked a cup chasis with a couple of the standard extras, most importantly the climate. Probably seems silly to some of you guys buying a car like this and being fussed about things like that, but it's horses for courses! This will be an every-day car for me so has to tick all the boxes.

However, because i've gone second hand, you're always limited to models others have specced. I couldn't have gone for full-fat + cup chasis pack, because - long story short - I drive an elderly relative of mine around quite a lot at the mo, and there was no way she'd have got in and out of those recaros. And i couldn't find any cups in budget at the right age/millage with just climate control as an option.

So here are my questions:

1) I've read elsewhere that it's feasible to fit an LSD as an after-sales upgrade. Some have speculated this would be close to a grand for parts and labour. Anyone have any idea about this? Is it possible?

2) What about the suspension/brake differences - how hard is that to rectify?

3) I won't be using the car for track days, at least not for the foreseeable future. Is it worth going to the trouble of fitting a new diff and uprating the suspension (if poss) for normal driving + blasting up and down the odd b-road. I'm a keen driver and a motoring enthusiast, but i'm no stig :D Will i really notice much of a difference in terms of cornering grip etc? Or is it only at the very edge of performance that these extras come into their own anyway?

4) Does anyone here own a sport chassis? How does it drive? What's the grip like? How hard can you push it?

Thanks for your time all! I know some will consider a non-cup car a bit of a damp squib, but my circumstances meant it was the best choice. Hoping i can still have some fun with it and get a great driving experience, specially if i've never drive a cup to compare it to ;)

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and to renaultsport ownership - my RS250 is coming on friday :D Couldn't be more excited (and impatient)

Probably more sensible to wait til after the facelift, but my existing car had a turbo issue and needed to go fairly urgently, so time was a factor. Anywho, i was looking at '10 cars anyway, so figured this would be less of an issue.

Ideally i'd have liked a cup chasis with a couple of the standard extras, most importantly the climate. Probably seems silly to some of you guys buying a car like this and being fussed about things like that, but it's horses for courses! This will be an every-day car for me so has to tick all the boxes.

However, because i've gone second hand, you're always limited to models others have specced. I couldn't have gone for full-fat + cup chasis pack, because - long story short - I drive an elderly relative of mine around quite a lot at the mo, and there was no way she'd have got in and out of those recaros. And i couldn't find any cups in budget at the right age/millage with just climate control as an option.

So here are my questions:

1) I've read elsewhere that it's feasible to fit an LSD as an after-sales upgrade. Some have speculated this would be close to a grand for parts and labour. Anyone have any idea about this? Is it possible?

2) What about the suspension/brake differences - how hard is that to rectify?

3) I won't be using the car for track days, at least not for the foreseeable future. Is it worth going to the trouble of fitting a new diff and uprating the suspension (if poss) for normal driving + blasting up and down the odd b-road. I'm a keen driver and a motoring enthusiast, but i'm no stig :D Will i really notice much of a difference in terms of cornering grip etc? Or is it only at the very edge of performance that these extras come into their own anyway?

4) Does anyone here own a sport chassis? How does it drive? What's the grip like? How hard can you push it?

Thanks for your time all! I know some will consider a non-cup car a bit of a damp squib, but my circumstances meant it was the best choice. Hoping i can still have some fun with it and get a great driving experience, specially if i've never drive a cup to compare it to ;)
if that's the car you have brought mate unless you want to spend a fair amount of money you might as well leave it. I doubt you would notice a huge amount for your normal day to day driving. like you said the diff fitted is around a grand and suspension wise probably around the same sort of cash.
you will still have fun in it and until you fancie razzing round a track your probably not going to mis much :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if that's the car you have brought mate unless you want to spend a fair amount of money you might as well leave it. I doubt you would notice a huge amount for your normal day to day driving. like you said the diff fitted is around a grand and suspension wise probably around the same sort of cash.
you will still have fun in it and until you fancie razzing round a track your probably not going to mis much :)
Cheers mate! Pretty much the answer i was hoping for/expecting. I'm coming from a MK1 Seat Leon FR TDi 150, which isn't exactly known for its handling characteristics ;) so even with the compromise of the sport chassis, I'm sure the meg will feel much sharper and more composed.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Cheers mate! Pretty much the answer i was hoping for/expecting. I'm coming from a MK1 Seat Leon FR TDi 150, which isn't exactly known for its handling characteristics ;) so even with the compromise of the sport chassis, I'm sure the meg will feel much sharper and more composed.
your right mate it will be fine and you will still enjoy it. it may even be better for you if you have to do the daily run around just from a comfort point if view.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Quick question, why did you not just go for a 250 with the Cup chassis option. Recaros are not standard fitment, so you could have got a car with the 'standard' leather Renaultsport seats?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Quick question, why did you not just go for a 250 with the Cup chassis option. Recaros are not standard fitment, so you could have got a car with the 'standard' leather Renaultsport seats?
I guess they might be hard to find second hand? Wouldn't most people with the 250 Full Fat go for the "cup chassis and recaros" option instead of just the cup chassis?

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
I guess they might be hard to find second hand? Wouldn't most people with the 250 Full Fat go for the "cup chassis and recaros" option instead of just the cup chassis?
I think it's the one thing most people on here regret not having as an option

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure! I was under the impression that the recaros came with the cup chassis pack for the standard car? I actually only found 1 car in my budget in a few weeks of looking with both the cup chasis and the standard kit, and it had the recaros anyway (in any event i called them there was a deposit down on it already!). So really i guess the answer is simply that as a second hand buyer im pretty much at the mercy of what's already out there. By far and away the vast majority of cars were either standard chasis, or cup chasis with no extras. Given those two choices, the standard car just came out as a slightly better option. Plus budget is a factor too obviously - if i'd been prepared to stretch a couple more grand i could probably have had the best of both worlds. A really good deal on a standard car came along, so it was a case of either go for that and take the compromise on the chassis or wait and try to find something better. Currently I'm without a car too which is a bit of a hassle. That's it in a nutshell really.

EDIT: just read framerateuk's reply. I think that must be the explanation, because the only cars i found with the standard kit + cup chassis had the recaros too. Maybe the standard + cup chassis without recaros option is quite a rare motor?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
To be honest random_tangent, I think you'll be very happy with the car anyway.

The car has lots of grip anyway, and a lot of the motoring press seemed to think the Non-cup was an excellent ride on the UK's roads - which is where you'll spend your time! If you were to track it, the the cup pack is a big benefit, but on the road I don't think the difference is as large.

Those standard leather seats are very nice too. There have been times this winter when I would have liked to have the heated seats option instead of my Recaros :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
To be honest random_tangent, I think you'll be very happy with the car anyway.

The car has lots of grip anyway, and a lot of the motoring press seemed to think the Non-cup was an excellent ride on the UK's roads - which is where you'll spend your time! If you were to track it, the the cup pack is a big benefit, but on the road I don't think the difference is as large.

Those standard leather seats are very nice too. There have been times this winter when I would have liked to have the heated seats option instead of my Recaros :)
Great - thanks framerateuk! I must admit, I am looking forward to having a gently warmed arse :D Sounds like if i were to track the car in the future, i might have to spend what i've saved now in upgrades. I can live with that. A couple of grand 18 months from now to uprate the suspension and the diff isn't too bad. At least it's there as an option if i really want to do it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting - thanks for the info Carl_T. I guess in my case it could be a budget thing. I wanted the car for 16 or under, which i got, and this one has VERY low millage. If I'd been prepared to stretch that a little bit further, perhaps i would have found a load of cars with the standard kit, the standard seats, and the cup chassis. I suppose thinking about it, that might well be quite a popular mix on the second hand market, as a nice compromise on interior practicality and overall sportiness, and thus hold its value quite well. Used cars are always a compromise though - you rarely get the exact car config you'd have picked if going for new.

Anyway, all I really wanted to know was whether it was possible to spend that money i saved (perhaps a bit more besides) in 12/18 months time to "upgrade" to the cup chassis. From the replies, it looks like it might be - if I'm prepared to pay for it. I'm sure I'll enjoy the car as-is on standard roads in any case. I'm also sure in a year or so i'll have a few grand burning a hole in my pocket ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts