Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my ignorance can someone explain how this works in relation to the 225 set up .
I know full fat wheels have a 68mm and trophy/cup wheels have a 70mm offset and both fit the car.
So how does a wheel with a lower offset effect the postioning of the wheel on the axle.
Is it that the lower the offset size the more the wheel sticks out of the wheel arch ? Or the higher the offset the closer the wheel is the wheel arch.
Also do wheel spacers increase or decrease the offset . :? :? :?
please reply in english thanks.
There seems to be loads of wheels i like but none fit !

regards

thicko

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
iv`e a pal of mine into wheels and tyres, i`ll quizz him, but he`s a manc don`t do queens english like us owdhamers :lol: :lol:

·
Founder
8,209 Posts
the offset is the distance between the centre line of the alloy and the mounting face of the alloy where it bolts to the hub, a lower offset will bring the wheel nearer to the hub and foul the brakes, fitting spacers can correct the offset. I think 225s are supposed to be a strange offset not seen many different alloys on them anyways

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
The 108 in the 5/108 specification is known as the Pitch Circle Diameter (known as PCD). It is the diameter of an imaginary circle drawn through the centres of each of the wheel stud holes. Thus it is not the distance from the centre of the hub to the centre of a wheel stud hole. That measurement would be 50% of the PCD.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
The offset also affects the scrub radius, part of the cars suspension geometry. Check these links out

http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm#Scrub Radius

http://www.hrsprings.com/site/technical/scrubradius.html

The second one tends to indicate that you don't want to mess with this too much as it will affect the handling and feel of the car.

While I'm on the topic there is something a little puzzling about the wheels that k-tec are offering for the 225. You'll notice in the link below exactly the same wheels being offered by elia (I think they might be the manufacturer) for the nomal Megane and in brackets you'll see "nicht RS turbo". My German sux but the translation for nicht is not. If anyone is considering these wheels I would be making sure that they have the correct offset.

http://www.elia-ag.de/index2.html

(not sure if the above link will take you straight to the right page. If not just go into PRODUKTE -> renault -> megane -> wheels)

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
craigy225 said:
i got 25mm spacers on mine to cater for my arches i need wheels but be a while yet lack of cash im afraid :cry:
Did fitting the spacers affect the way the car drives at all?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The 19 inch wheels K-tec have are made by Azev and can be ordered with almost any offset as they are a quality german manufacturer. The tropy wheels are half an inch wider than standard wheels which may account for the difference in offset. Have a look at this:
http://wheeltool.com/info/offset.html

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
JoeA, we found the turn in and overall handling of the car were slightly improved with 20mm spacers fitted all round. We fitted these with the standard wheels as we wanted to check that a different offset wheel would not upset the car. In fact I would say it improved it as well as made the car look a little more agressive with the wheel arches being filled by the wheels.

David.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
K-Tec Racing said:
JoeA, we found the turn in and overall handling of the car were slightly improved with 20mm spacers fitted all round. We fitted these with the standard wheels as we wanted to check that a different offset wheel would not upset the car. In fact I would say it improved it as well as made the car look a little more agressive with the wheel arches being filled by the wheels.

David.
please explain :roll:

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Please bear in mind the spacers were fitted to one of the very firsy 225s and not one fitted with the Cup chassis upgrades. By fitting the spacers on the front the track was widened which made the car feel a little better and understeer a little less. If you look at cars such as the Clio Williams and Clio 172 Cup part of the upgrades on these cars was to widen the track to improve the handling (along with some other tweeks). We were not expecting to notice any difference and what I have posted was just our findings. We only tried the spacers to see what offset wheels we could fit.

I would also not recommend everyone go out and fit spacers espeially as the Cup chassis equiped cars are a vast improvement over the early cars.

David.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts