Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now before you go shouting 'Yes you're a girl' please read on!! :lol:

Driving my 225 today, driven calmly for abot 6 miles so nicely warmed up. Got the ar$hole with some white van driver so went to over take!! The pr!ck swerved at me as I went past and I kept my foot planted in 2nd.

Before I realised it I was at 6500rpm :shock: so stick it into 3rd and carry on my Nightrider style speed.

Now here's the thing, am I being a big girly pants for thinking that I shouldn't have taken the revs that far????? Bearing in mind the car has only done 1100 miles???
or is this perfectly fine for the engine and to stop worrying?

I found the Meganes's acceleration doesn't give you that warning like my old Clio 172 did. You felt the revs pick up as it accelerated, the Megane feels a lot smoother so I don't notice the revs picking up so much. :D

Just wondered really!

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
:p

Dude your lucky you can even get to 6500 rpm......my cars going back in next friday for mine to be looked at again for the 4th time as to why i cant get the revs over 6000!!!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Thats what the rev limiter is for Alex, if it makes you feel any better on the first day we picked mine up the missus had a go (as it will be driven more by her). She hit the rev limiter with about 20 miles on the clock :shock: no damage done though mate, don't think she was used to the short 1st gear :roll:

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it would seem that I am just being a bit paranoid hahahaha........who said that? :shock:

To be honest I tend to drive it fairly carefully anyway but I guess the odd blast now and again doesn't hurt. :twisted:

G

·
Yes Alex you are a great big jessie (sorry anyone here who is called jessie) You know you secretly want to put your foot down and FEEL THE POWER!! 8)

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Si!!! haha :D

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Mike its not a rev limiter issue!

Basically lets take a scenario....

Driving along at 90 mph in 6th down the airstrip and some 182 comes up behind me. I used to be able to drop it into 4th and rev upto 7200 Rpm to take it upto 110 Mph.

The problem i have now is that i drop it into 4th and the power is cutting out at 6000 rpm. Its trying to rev higher but it cant.

So far they have....

Checked and changed coils
Checked and changed injectors for modified type ones
Checked Fuel compression

The end result last time was that one of the injectors was over fueling causign the cylinder to "choke" as such. The excess fuel ended up contaminating the oil!!

There are loads of other checks they have done but it remains the same. Adam and myself were out with jamie on saturday and Jamies is reving up and beyond 7200 rpm.

This all started after a destructive misfire in one fo the cylinders.

So all in all id love to be hitting 6500 rpm.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well in that case I won't flap about it haha.

What is the rev limiter set too?

What is the optimum RPM for each gear?

I remember my 172 have a gear change light. :D

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
The rev limiter cuts in once warm somewhere between 7200-7500. Ive hit the rev limiter in 4th before when the car was running fine and i was doing just over 110.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alex said:
The rev limiter cuts in once warm somewhere between 7200-7500. Ive hit the rev limiter in 4th before when the car was running fine and i was doing just over 110.
Blimey, don't know why I was flapping I was miles off the limiter. Why do they bother with the 'redline' then when it allows you to take it beyond the red. The red actually kinda fades in at 6500rpm thats why I was concerned.

Anyone know the optimum gear chang though?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts