Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As I travel 520 miles a week to get to and from work I tried something. I travelled from Bristol to Middlesbrough at a constant 70 mph except for traffic etc. I only used half a tank of petrol to travel 260 miles. Maybe I am easily pleased but never the less impressed.

Rowdy.

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
40mpg at 70 is only about 8 less than my original 1.6 Megane. I think I can live with that. You reckon I'll get 25mpg around town, of course by town I mean Milton Keynes where it's a case of drive as fast as you can betweeen roundabouts 3/4 mile apart then slam the brakes on.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The problem with most fuel gauges, 225 included, is that the 1st half tank seems to last forever then the 2nd half dissapears in a flash. Definately not calibrated to display equal consumption :?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Its not a bad consumtion either way!!

I find that if I drive my 225 carefully, which I have been even since its run in, I get about 32 mpg. Its mainly when you get stuck in traffic that you find it drops to 21-22mpg. :?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The 255 seems to be really good if you stick to 70ish mph, on my last trip to Bristol I got 380 miles from a tank full opposed to the 270 miles I usually see.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I guess if the revs stay below the point at witch the turbo spools up its gonna use a lot less fuel.

6th gear is a big help on the motorways as well. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The most I have ever got out of it is 450 miles on a tank of Optimax. Dont know if 95 Ron would make a difference. Probably not much. Driving like a granny of course.

Rowdy.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
mayates said:
The most I have ever got out of it is 450 miles on a tank of Optimax. Dont know if 95 Ron would make a difference. Probably not much. Driving like a granny of course.

Rowdy.
Were you pushing it for the last 50 miles? :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I test this a lot, drving on country roads from malam to leeds (60 miles or so) I manged to average exactly 40mpg by never going over about 2000 revs or 50 mph... went down to about 322mpg as soon as I was driving through Leeds and stopping at lights.... got it up to 99 mpg resetting it and free wheeling lol... normally says 22-23mpg... But I've also only ever once got 300mph out of a tank.. :oops:

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Crikey, I have a 30ish mile trek to work a few times a week and a bit of bombing about in between and usually average 28-32mpg. I would much prefer to just cane the bugger for a few miles to work but as they say you can't have everything!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ste00 said:
I test this a lot, drving on country roads from malam to leeds (60 miles or so) I manged to average exactly 40mpg by never going over about 2000 revs or 50 mph... went down to about 322mpg as soon as I was driving through Leeds and stopping at lights.... got it up to 99 mpg resetting it and free wheeling lol... normally says 22-23mpg...
Very accurate... I went on friday to Oxford... Managed to squeeze 40mpg, as you say hovering over the 2000rpm mark..(. and that translates to around 60mph in 6th... Steady 70mph (around 2500rpms? - not sure) gives you 38-39mpg...

Anything above 2500rpms sends mpg to hell...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts