Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I noticed that the passenger side front tyre had gone rather flat, so I pumped it up to 33psi. The next day it was back down to ~28psi so I presumed I had a nail or something in the tyre.

Put it in to get it checked but they couldnt find a nail or anything like that, instead they told me there was excessive wear at the back of the tyre near the suspension and it looked as if something has been rubbing (a lot) on the tyre.

I wasnt really convinced, i thought he was just trying to get me to buy new tyres so i went to have a look.

Here's what i saw:

It's not very clear in the pictures but it's worn down about half a cm below the rest of the tyre all the way round. The mechanic said he recons the car has had a broken spring that's been replaced and that's the only way he could see this happening. The suspension all looks fine and there's no obvious indications of anything rubbing other than the wear on the tyre.

I had the wheels off about a month after I got the car and I dont recall this being there which I'm quite sure I would have noticed.

Anyone seen anything like this or know what might have caused it? Going to need new tyres on the front now but I really dont want this happening to the new set!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, brano.

i had thought the wheel alignment or tracking or something must have been off as i need to keep the steering wheel slightly to the right to keep the car in a straight line. i asked the mechanic to invesitage this as well but he said that it would be the tyre that's causing this (i dont see why it would but i know nothing about this kind of thing). would this really cause that much damage to the tyre? it's not all that clear in the picture since it's all black you dont get much perception of depth but as i say its about half a cm worn down into the tread over about 1cm of the tyre all the way round.

i was planning on getting the geometry set up because i've heard it's a good thing to get done, and there is a reputable place near my work that does them. but again i actually dont know what a geometry set up consists of. i'll see if i can get that done before i buy new tyres.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
It does look too far in to be geometry related but you never know.

I have seen this caused by broken springs which slide down the suspension leg and rub the tyre.

Either way you need a tyre ASAP and get ball joints checked then geometry set up properly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice.

i'm going to order 2 new tyres for the front which leads to my question of how bad is it to run mis matched tyres? currently there are Avon ZZ3s on the car so i'd be replacing the two front ones. i cant decide whether to go for 2 michelin ps2 (as i've read these are good and last long) or 2 Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta as i've also read they're good although untimately not as good as the michelins. i dont know whether it's worth the extra for the michelins on the front when it's going to be miss matched at the back...

also should i get the geometry done before or after the new tyres are fitted?

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
fore sure i will check the geometry first, without this your new tires will be the same like the current ones soon, dont think the mechanic was 100% right when he said the geometry cant caused this, it happend once on our family car years ago...

PS 2 are one of the best tires which i ever own (for daily use & some fun) just the Contisport 5+ looke me (rinning them now) even quiet better :)

regarding the geometry, try to pull your bike with steering slightly turned left/right and i am sure you can spot that the front tire dont like that ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what do you mean by "seperated"? the tyre seems to be in tact although it is loosing pressure slowly (about 3 psi over night).

for getting geometry set up are there any reccomended settings or should the place that i take it to get it done be able to find the correct settings?

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
basically the plies have come away from the shoulder reinforcing,if it was in place during manufacturing.
It's hard to say without having the tyre in my hands.
Either way it's a tyre manufacturing fault from Avon.
The problem will be proving it.
I can give you a list of excuses the tyre shop or Avon could come out with,but the first will be that you have been running with wrong pressures,faulty valve,steering geometry is incorrect.The list goes on.
If you have no luck with the tyre dealer sending the tyre back to Avon.
Once it's off,stick a knife in where it's sunken,see the plies and steel,you will most probably see that they have come away from each other.
Find a decent tyre shop and ask for more opinions, but the tyre is knackered and should be taken off. I certainly wouldn't go very fast or too far on the tyre.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.