Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically the tax man sent me an £800 rebate, great and all but they dont owe me jack.

a couple of years ago, well ages ago actually, when i left sixth form, i was working full time but kept my tesco job working on a tues and weds night for an extra bit of cash. it was only like another £200 odd a month, well i should have got taxed 25% on my tesco earnings on top of my 20% from my normal job but never did. i then gave up tesco a year later.

anyway, tax man writes to me last year saying we've reviewed your earnings and you owe us something like £600, i was like no problem cos i knew it was due and all they did was adjust my tax code to take an extra £50 a month for the 2011 financial year i.e ending april 2012.

so this month i get a random £800 rebate in my pay and my tax code has changed back to normal, call the tax office and they are like, oh we reviewed your 'accounts' or whatever and worked out you overpaid by £800 odd quid and apparently they have also sent me a cheque for £350 in the post for a different year!?

i knew what they had done was seen i 'overpaid' (when in fact i was repaying previous underpayment of tax) and just refunded me my overpayments! i was like great and all but this is wrong and i'm just waiting their 'breakdown' in the post.

most of you will be like spend it i know but it'll only come to next year and they'll realise their ****up and say i owe them £1150 and (without choice) they change to tax code to compensate for the refund so **** another £100 a month coming out my pay to them!

what is their right of recovery? can they **** up, send you £5000 and in 10 years go 'oh sorry we messed up we need that money back' ?? anyone shed any light on any ideas, think my best bet is to write them a letter telling them they are retard and to recalculate?

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
basically the tax man sent me an £800 rebate, great and all but they dont owe me jack.

a couple of years ago, well ages ago actually, when i left sixth form, i was working full time but kept my tesco job working on a tues and weds night for an extra bit of cash. it was only like another £200 odd a month, well i should have got taxed 25% on my tesco earnings on top of my 20% from my normal job but never did. i then gave up tesco a year later.

anyway, tax man writes to me last year saying we've reviewed your earnings and you owe us something like £600, i was like no problem cos i knew it was due and all they did was adjust my tax code to take an extra £50 a month for the 2011 financial year i.e ending april 2012.

so this month i get a random £800 rebate in my pay and my tax code has changed back to normal, call the tax office and they are like, oh we reviewed your 'accounts' or whatever and worked out you overpaid by £800 odd quid and apparently they have also sent me a cheque for £350 in the post for a different year!?

i knew what they had done was seen i 'overpaid' (when in fact i was repaying previous underpayment of tax) and just refunded me my overpayments! i was like great and all but this is wrong and i'm just waiting their 'breakdown' in the post.

most of you will be like spend it i know but it'll only come to next year and they'll realise their ****up and say i owe them £1150 and (without choice) they change to tax code to compensate for the refund so **** another £100 a month coming out my pay to them!

what is their right of recovery? can they **** up, send you £5000 and in 10 years go 'oh sorry we messed up we need that money back' ?? anyone shed any light on any ideas, think my best bet is to write them a letter telling them they are retard and to recalculate?

any ideas?
Hi mate just done a quick google for citizens advice tax and there comes quite a few goo links on questioning any over/underpayments and how to tackle them. hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
remember the tax office has been running incorrect software for some years now and last year realised that they had been calculating the tax for some people incorrectly. It might relate to this? So what I am saying it might have something to do with the principles of their system than the review of your accounts.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Cant help you but put the money into a savings account and dont touch it. Leave it a few years then spend it :)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
remember the tax office has been running incorrect software for some years now and last year realised that they had been calculating the tax for some people incorrectly. It might relate to this? So what I am saying it might have something to do with the principles of their system than the review of your accounts.
oh? interesting. i will await their breakdown and see then! ta!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts