Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too hot on ISP's, who's hot and who's not. At home I'm with Demon. They've been delivering a great service, but as I'm moving house I'm going to try elsewhere to get a better deal.

So - AOL have just launched a 2 year contract at £19.99 with Free PS3 (inc 2 games and a blueray film) and free wireless router (e-bay).

Are they actually any good? A guy at work says fine unless you load all their software. 2 years is a long time, so any opinions would be appreciated..

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
2 years at £20 a month = £480 for the PS3 and a ****e ISP to boot... personally i'd avoid AOL like the plague!

have a look on http://www.uswitch.com/ for what's possible in your area and it'll give you some feedback on who's good and bad from people's experiences too :)

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
google youtube for AOL videos i once saw a guy ring up and try tp cancel his account and they will do anything to avoid you canceling from them and i dont mean give you a better offer but blatently egnore your requests. They are notoriously bad for trying to close you account and i wouldnt touch them with a barge pole mate. Personally i would shop around im with orange at th moment on 8Mb internet and it costs £19.99 a month. And the service is spot on hardly ever cause my connection and problem.

G

·
suppose theyre ok.

just as long as nothing goes wrong and you end up calling them over 40 fooking times cos the ******* thing stops working after they upgrade up !!!!!!!!!!!.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

yes i had to call them over 40 times (i made a talley chart for each time i called them) to get help then eventually get disconnected, which they would not do at first untill i threatend to seek legal advice due to a company not providing the service i signed a contract for!.

rant over..........sorry

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
the problem with AOL is that they use their own DUN network settings and protocols which are all build into their crappy program. Unfortunatly its not as easy as it may seem to connect without thier front end.

My recommendation to anyone is www.bethere.co.uk been with them now for about a year with no problems at all and as a bonus 1.3mb upload with upto 24mb down depending how close to the exchange you are.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ive been with NTL, (now virgin) for years and only had the odd problem or two. Its a cable based package so pretty reliable and there are no download or bandwidth limits.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
suppose theyre ok.

just as long as nothing goes wrong and you end up calling them over 40 fooking times cos the ******* thing stops working after they upgrade up !!!!!!!!!!!.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

yes i had to call them over 40 times (i made a talley chart for each time i called them) to get help then eventually get disconnected, which they would not do at first untill i threatend to seek legal advice due to a company not providing the service i signed a contract for!.

rant over..........sorry
totally agree with this post. Absolutely fine until something goes wrong.
Getting past their UI is another issue, but once you're on, its just the same as any other 'large' ISP.

Depends what you are looking for from the service provider. Essentially I'm with a small company, based in the UK, who don't lie or give bullsh^t information, I get as much download capacity as I want, But in the end, I pay for it.
Personally, if they have to give stuff away to get you to sign up.... whys that?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I've never used AOL as had few mates with it & had endless problems when trying to sort faults, & as others have said v.difficult to cancel contract. Now joined up with Talktalk so may have improved??

2 year contract is way too long, do 12 months max.

Check the actual speed near you - Gadget show had big section on the "upto 8mb" phrase suppliers use, in many cases actual speed may be much lower
try this link http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/ it compares most UK providers

also if a few people on here try http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html or http://www.speedtest.net/index.php and paste their speeds & locations here may help you decide on fastest

I'm on Talktalk 8Mb package in essex & get 928 download & 244 upload which is pants - I'd expect that from a 1mb package

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
the problem with AOL is that they use their own DUN network settings and protocols which are all build into their crappy program. Unfortunatly its not as easy as it may seem to connect without thier front end.

My recommendation to anyone is www.bethere.co.uk been with them now for about a year with no problems at all and as a bonus 1.3mb upload with upto 24mb down depending how close to the exchange you are.
Echo the above /\

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, just tested what I get now, 3.1mbps download, max of 4mbps in the new house. Tried the AOL link earlier, they weren't able to do the deal on my number. Maybe because the line isn't getting fitted until Monday..

From my experience and what I've heard, all ISP's are sh!te when you need to contact them. AOL came out at 76% satisfaction on uswitch, with the highest at 78%.

Bethere sound a reasonable bet. I'll save the money I save on the monthly charge for when PS3's are £150 to buy :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not too hot on ISP's, who's hot and who's not. At home I'm with Demon. They've been delivering a great service, but as I'm moving house I'm going to try elsewhere to get a better deal.

So - AOL have just launched a 2 year contract at £19.99 with Free PS3 (inc 2 games and a blueray film) and free wireless router (e-bay).

Are they actually any good? A guy at work says fine unless you load all their software. 2 years is a long time, so any opinions would be appreciated..
OK, just tested what I get now, 3.1mbps download, max of 4mbps in the new house. Tried the AOL link earlier, they weren't able to do the deal on my number. Maybe because the line isn't getting fitted until Monday..

From my experience and what I've heard, all ISP's are sh!te when you need to contact them. AOL came out at 76% satisfaction on uswitch, with the highest at 78%.

Bethere sound a reasonable bet. I'll save the money I save on the monthly charge for when PS3's are £150 to buy :D

Hi!!!!!! Im not sure in this, but i'll suggest you the official site Home - Cover Gadget they have the most expertise with all types of phones this site helped me more and more im using this site for all my phone betterment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts