Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Firstly thanks for the advice a couple of weeks ago re: cup/non-cup. Got the car (a non-cup) the friday before last and couldn't be happier with it! It's an absolute joy to drive no matter what you're doing in it.

However, the one thing i'm not overly impressed with is the stereo. I knew this going in, having read threads here and elsewhere about how crappy it was, so it comes as no surprise. Now I'm considering doing something about it, and weighing up my options.

My car has the standard headunit - multi-function tunepoint, bluetooth, 4x15w. I assumed the 4x15w figure referred to the output power of the amp in the headunit, and therefore in turn that the arkamys amp was more powerful, being quoted in the spec sheets as 4x30w.

Being concerned about 4x15 sounding a bit weak, i was considering upgrading to the Arkamys via renault (to keep the integration with the stalk/display and retain all the other useful integration with the car) then upgrade the speakers myself to get the best of both worlds - a more powerful amp, and aftermarket speakers.

However, i've since read that the 4x30w spec of the arkamys upgrade refers to the rating of the speakers rather than the amp, and that both the standard and arkamys units have the same output power. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Ultimately i might have to consider a thirdparty headunit, but first i'd like to try and get by with the standard renault units.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
It will be more cost effective and you will benefit more from upgrading the four speakers and amping them. Keeping the standard head unit in place.

I doubt going from 4x15 to 4x30 will be noticable

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be more cost effective and you will benefit more from upgrading the four speakers and amping them. Keeping the standard head unit in place.

I doubt going from 4x15 to 4x30 will be noticable
Thanks! Thought about putting in an amp, but does the standard head unit have line-out RCAs?

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
I've got the Arkemys in mine, it's s--t. Upgrade the speakers and fit an amp would be the easiest way to better sound. The exhaust option is probably the best solution : )

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the Arkemys in mine, it's s--t. Upgrade the speakers and fit an amp would be the easiest way to better sound. The exhaust option is probably the best solution : )
Thanks - good to get some feedback from someone who already has it, even if it is negative. Saves me a few bob! Far as an amp goes, my only concern is whether there's a line out on the head unit. The most i've ever done in cars before is replace head units and factory speakers. I've never fitted an amp. However, from general hifi experience, amping the speaker outs again with another in-line amplifier is the same as connecting your mp3 player's headphone out into an aux in. Sometimes sound quality can suffer and you end up with two volume controls - one for each amplification phase. If someone has done this and it sounds OK, then I'm happy to believe them. I just have my concerns is all. And I'd love the exhaust - maybe I'll treat myself to an early birthday present ;)

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
You can run a amp off the speaker lines. I believe Clarion do a plug and play amp for the Megane for about £100. They do a two channel and four channel

70watt+ RMS power would be nice. Make sure you match decent speakers to the amp by focusing on the rms outputs. If the speakers RMS output is 100watt and the amp is 50watt RMS. The speakers are not being powered. Also make sure the speakers peak doesn't meet the RMS power of the amp otherwise you will blow them up

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can run a amp off the speaker lines. I believe Clarion do a plug and play amp for the Megane for about £100. They do a two channel and four channel

70watt+ RMS power would be nice. Make sure you match decent speakers to the amp by focusing on the rms outputs. If the speakers RMS output is 100watt and the amp is 50watt RMS. The speakers are not being powered. Also make sure the speakers peak doesn't meet the RMS power of the amp otherwise you will blow them up
Thanks for the info - that's a great help! I've had a quick skeg around on clarion's website. They have two ranges - APA and APX - the latter of which is the cheaper. 80W RMS into 2 ohms, 60W into 4. It has line level as well as speaker level inputs, so im guessing this is the one you were talking about? No mention specifically of the meg, but i guess it's just a question of getting some sort of ISO adapter which extracts the pin-outs for the speakers into 4 separate wired connections, then they can go into the amp, before going back into the wiring loom - assuming it's safe to run more powerful output through the standard wiring?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased the RS 265 (Australia) and I was wondering what brand / model Head Unit is installed in the car?

Does the head unit have pre outs to be hooked up to AMP etc?

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts