Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks

I'm in a bit of a quandary. Had my R26 from new for 5 years now. It's just had its 5 year service, Cambelt and all the trimmings work at Renault (£1000... nice) on friday. She's become a bit of a garage queen over the last few years: new baby and job change have seen to that. To let you know how much of a garage queen, besides its monthly run up and down the drive, I've used it for 6 days in the last 2 years. Yes, really. It's now got 8531 miles on the clock and is just about as good as it gets condition wise. Its underneath, wheel arches, brakes, everthing is polished; sad I know and my wife certainly thinks I need help.

Now the question is this. When I do use it, It's now nomally for a boys weekend away on the EVO triangle in Wales and it makes me smile, laugh and reminds me what a brilliant piece of kit a standard R26 is. However, it spends 362 days a year in my de-humidified garage, so, do I get rid now as it's had the nasty service done and it's at the height of saleability (is that a word?) and spend the money on something I could be a little less precious over but still have fun in, or hold on to it and keep feeding my OCD nature when it comes to cars and having one as good as this.

What would you do?

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
OCD isn't such a bad thing mate! just get in it tomorrow and take the wife for a nice pub meal in the next county and then decide if you want to get rid :)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I'd put if up forsale at a price that you would be happy to let it go at and see if you get any interested. some people will pay a lot of money for mint, low milage and one owner example.

If it don't sell then nuffing lost you just do back to keeping it mint.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Trouble is when you put it up forsale for what you think it's worth it's not what everyone else thinks, sad I know because I spray foam my car twice a week 2 bucket method wash mitt micro fibre and use different ones for door boot etc, neighbours think I'm mad!!! If I were you hold onto it.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're all right as far as the price that I think it's worth and what the market thinks it's worth. It's a toughie. Looks like the market doesn't give a toss about condition at the moment. I'm 80% keep it at the mo.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
82.7% keep. I can see the way this is going to go unless someone offers me sillt money for it. Not likely.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
If you keep it further. It will be worth less

IF you don't care about the money then keep and start getting more use out of it. Otherwise you might as well just be burning a £5 note every day while it sits there

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
82.7% keep. I can see the way this is going to go unless someone offers me sillt money for it. Not likely.
No one will ever offer you silly money for it and it will only ever command a small premium over similar age motors. I would reckon £9K max. It’s a cheap depreciating bog Renault, not a classic.

If that sort of value sits well in your estimation, then flog it and break out of that nerd riddled polishing syndrome and start driving.

If you think it’s worth significantly more, re-enter that comforting, closet buffing world where the thought of a bit of stray bird sh1te won’t keep you awake at night with worry and the precious acquisition can be worth whatever you like.

See post 4.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
9K, really. I was hoping for offers around the 25-30K mark at the same time someone sorts out the National Health Service, Unemployment, Armed forces, Syria, the rest of the Middle East and that little dumb pillock in North Korea. End of Feb then!!

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
9K, really. I was hoping for offers around the 25-30K mark at the same time someone sorts out the National Health Service, Unemployment, Armed forces, Syria, the rest of the Middle East and that little dumb pillock in North Korea. End of Feb then!!
you have more chance of the 25k than the rest happening lol.
Just get it cleaned and go out for a thrash then put it back in the garage for next week. I seriously think you will need to spend more than 9k to get a motor similar if you want to replace it.

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
I would just keep it mate and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with keeping it mint and using it as you wish, the depreciation is just a fact but only an issue if you're going to sell.

You've had her from new, you know where it's been, what's been done to it and have clearly loved it, keep her in the manner she's been accustomed. :yes:

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Well at least you are a realist.

I always wonder with these sort of threads what answers the OP really wants. Honest ones, a load of bullcrap or that hidden mystery desire like 'great motor mate.... real respect, keep polishing'.

I would flog it, get a cheap 182 Cup, hammer it around the UK and on track days and wean yourself off polish. OCD is a creeping disease.

I respect your dedication to it and if it serves a purpose in your life you can't do without - then keep buffing.... but you did ask.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you have more chance of the 25k than the rest happening lol.
Just get it cleaned and go out for a thrash then put it back in the garage for next week. I seriously think you will need to spend more than 9k to get a motor similar if you want to replace it.
Done deal. She's staying and I promise to enjoy her more. Just need the 2 year old to sit still and entertain herself for hours while Daddy plays. That'll be when that bird off the Special K adverts knocks on my door offering herself as a sex slave for life ( 12 minutes).

·
Registered
306 Posts
if you want a r26 being kept mint in your garage then thats what you should do it s your money mate if i could afford to i would, conley is just looking for a argument as usual

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's true, I need to use it more often and the money's not a problem at the mo. It's just time that's the issue. We'll see.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts