Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the rear back box and pipe work removed today and replaced with a removable two piece section by the very friendly people at Longlife Ipswich (Stonham Aspal).

Here's some pics . . . . .

Completely different sound to what I was expecting in a good way. It sounds really good with a nice burble on tick over. I'll try and get some video clips over the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
I thought you needed resonated pressure to get the gasses away from the turbo , but im not 100% sure , it sounds horrible too , go buy a scorpion imo

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The videos don't sound the best. It does sound quite abit different standing next to the car.

I've only had the backbox done for one day and already had a handful of comments how nice the car sounds when pulling up at the petrol garage and shops. Didn't get that before.

Only criticism I have is there is a drone when coming off the throttle about 3.5k that vibrates through the car (for about 2 seconds) but apart from that it's brilliant. So might add a small resonated box to get rid but I'll leave it for a while to bed in first to see if it goes or reduces.

When cruising at any speed, even motorway speeds, it hardly sounds any different to standard which is nice.

Even if I add the small box I would of only spent half of what the scorpion system costs and IMO sounds as good if not better.

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you like it pal thats great , tbh I get that little drone on lift off with the scorpion so you may have to live with that, would like to hear yours in the flesh, may be at a meet next year ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you like it pal thats great , tbh I get that little drone on lift off with the scorpion so you may have to live with that, would like to hear yours in the flesh, may be at a meet next year ?
Hopefully will try and get to a couple next year. WSR and maybe one of the other Renault organised ones?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Had my boxes taken off also. Sounds loads better.

Question - how did they mount the exhaust at the rear, now the back box is gone?. Be interesting to see how yours was done. Pics would be great

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
don't like the way they have crimed and bent the pipe when it could have been straight and then into a nice curve.
IMO all exhaust sounds videos for the 250 sound crap (don't know why)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I thought you needed resonated pressure to get the gasses away from the turbo , but im not 100% sure , it sounds horrible too , go buy a scorpion imo
Myth. Used to hear that from the Fiat coupe forum too. I've run nothing but de-catted straight thru exhausts, usually 3" in my turbo cars. never killed the turbos. boost and oil starvation kills turbos, not lack of back pressure.

redd

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Straight through pipe = short turbo life !
That is not true...

With a decrease in back pressure there is less strain on all components of a turbo.

Especialy the shaft and bearings.

If anything it will increase the turbos life span.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That is not true...

With a decrease in back pressure there is less strain on all components of a turbo.

Especialy the shaft and bearings.

If anything it will increase the turbos life span.
100% correct and full turbo boost will be around 200rpm sooner thanks to low back pressure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts