Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry xmas all! The car decided to act up on me today. I was driving it normally when suddenly I started to notice additional vibrations and noise through the body of the car and the steering, especially on over run (in gear, coasting).

At the same time, I noticed some oil splash in my otherwise spotless engine bay. It's in between the coolant reservoir and this big aluminum block that I assume is the engine top mounting:

Some questions:

1. Is that aluminum block next to the coolant tank the engine mounting?

2. If so, and it broke, would oil spray from it?

3. Is it safe to drive (slowly)?

4. Is this a common problem? The car only has 17,000km on the clock.

I'm hoping it's just the engine mounting and not something more serious in the engine/drivetrain causing the vibrations.

redd

·
Registered
61 Posts
1. yes

2. not sure about this engine mount. But some of the engine mount do have damping oil in it.

3. In my understanding it is safe to drive just with more vibration transmit from the engine.

4. i have 32000km in my RS250 and the engine mount is still intact.

Merry xmas all! The car decided to act up on me today. I was driving it normally when suddenly I started to notice additional vibrations and noise through the body of the car and the steering, especially on over run (in gear, coasting).

At the same time, I noticed some oil splash in my otherwise spotless engine bay. It's in between the coolant reservoir and this big aluminum block that I assume is the engine top mounting:

Some questions:

1. Is that aluminum block next to the coolant tank the engine mounting?

2. If so, and it broke, would oil spray from it?

3. Is it safe to drive (slowly)?

4. Is this a common problem? The car only has 17,000km on the clock.

I'm hoping it's just the engine mounting and not something more serious in the engine/drivetrain causing the vibrations.

redd

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Oil filled mount so thats where its from. Not ideal but you can still drive it, warrenty should pay for it hopefully.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a second one has broken in Malaysia. this one had 29k kms on the clock. i hope this isnt starting to be a trend...

oh and if this happens to anyone on here, clean the damping oil off ASAP or it will permanently stain the paint (as i found out the hard way :p). and replace the broken mount ASAP. i drove mine around for a week as i was super busy at work and when i went in for the replacement, the gearbox mounting had gone as well. i suspect it was from all the additional vibration.

redd

·
Registered
102 Posts
a second one has broken in Malaysia. this one had 29k kms on the clock. i hope this isnt starting to be a trend...

oh and if this happens to anyone on here, clean the damping oil off ASAP or it will permanently stain the paint (as i found out the hard way :p). and replace the broken mount ASAP. i drove mine around for a week as i was super busy at work and when i went in for the replacement, the gearbox mounting had gone as well. i suspect it was from all the additional vibration.

redd
how to know when you have a broken mount?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I recall Dixie saying he broke an engine mount too. He tracks his car a LOT, to I guess the excessive movement would cause it. He did mention his driveshaft needed to be replaced too though because of it....

This happens a lot on the 182/172 Clios.... (but then, their engines rock a lot more than the Megane's)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alfa2 - excessive vibrations and sounds like ur engine's run dry of oil. Trust me, you will KNOW! ;)

Framerateuk - I've got about 7-8 trackdays in the car, but the other unit that just went only did one trackday (tho i think the mount did break after trackday).

Renault, if ur reading this, u need tougher mounts! ;)

Redd

·
Registered
94 Posts
i though rs born to be track, assume all mounthing should be heavy duty......:)
and yet, most of them is not hardcore driver, just few time on track...... how could that be

·
Registered
492 Posts
I recall Dixie saying he broke an engine mount too. He tracks his car a LOT, to I guess the excessive movement would cause it. He did mention his driveshaft needed to be replaced too though because of it....

This happens a lot on the 182/172 Clios.... (but then, their engines rock a lot more than the Megane's)
I broke the engine mount on the other side and because of that it also broke my driveshaft (happened on the Nurburgring)

·
Registered
59 Posts

redd
yup, dat wld be mine, popped my cherry in sepang on sunday and noticed this...didnt realise it was there before the track...will get it checked next week in renault and get it changed under warranty...can really feel the additional vibration when driving, perhaps i am so used to the bad road conditions on the little island up north of malaysia...

redd, meet up next week in kl if time permits..

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not the 1st Renault to have rubbish engine mounts, I will be keeping a close eye on mine ive just hit 17k

·
Registered
10 Posts
just realised mine's broken today when i was changing my spark plugs. oil stains look fresh and still wet. will send back for warranty. i'm currently at 30k km.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts