Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...I know there's been a few topics on bulbs recently but none exactly the same as mine.

56 plate 230 f1.
Couple of days ago I noticed that after switching my lights on (dipped) one of them began to turn pink. If I switched it off, waited about 30seconds and turned them back on, the light would be the correct colour, but again it would slowly turn pink.
The next day the problem was the same, but instead of turning pink, it turned blue.
Today, it flickers for a while after turning it on, then switches off.
All other lights are fine.
Went into halfords and the guy first said it would be 20quid to change. Then he said 80. Then his boss said 250 (for a bulb?!).
The lights self level so I assume they are hids...
I suppose me question is, do I need a 250 quid bulb or are they just screwing me over?
Also could this be a wiring issue rather than a bulb issue? (halfords man also suggested this).

Cheers
Josh

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
If they are xenons and flickering I would guess that it might be the ballast that is playing up. No idea how much that might cost to replace. The different colours is I think due to the different temperatures the bulb may be running at because it is either getting more or less current than it expects.

The other definitive way to tell if they are xenon or halogen (AFAIK) is to check to see if you have the headlight height adjustment wheel down by the ESP and cruise buttons in the dash. If you have the wheel your car left the factory with halogens. If you don't have the wheel then factory fit xenons.

Have a look at the price of replacement bulbs here http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/d2s-replacement-xenon-hid-bulbs/ (not sure if this is the correct size - you handbook should tell you) some of them are pretty pricey (but some with big discounts too). You might well be better to buy the bulbs (once you know what you need) separately and take them in to be fitted. Changing the bulbs on the meg is apparently a complete pig of a job so will have some labour time. my local renault dealer said they would change all my headlight bulbs for £80 (taking off the front bumper to do it rather than use the ridiculous service hatches).

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The bulb its self is on its way out. All HID bulbs go pink at the end of their life, be it in a car, street light, stadium light. Its an inblance in the inert gas to phosphorus level. Due to degradation over time. Thus not allowing the arc to reach the correct current.

The type of bulb you need is a D2S, your generaly adviced to replace both so that the colour matchs.

See here...

http://www.1stautobulbs.com/part.php?part_id=8

Or here is one for sale...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D2S-XENON-PHILIPS-100-ORIGINAL-HID-BULB-4300k-NEW-/190597182243?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c607a3323

Bulbs are genearly around £30 - £40 for a good quality item. (when bought online)

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Philips or Osram Xenarcs for the bulbs and they'll be fine, deffo change both and they'll be yellow ish when you first fit them they'll turn to white over the first few hours use.

·
www.rsmegane.com
11,432 Posts
Philips or Osram Xenarcs for the bulbs and they'll be fine, deffo change both and they'll be yellow ish when you first fit them they'll turn to white over the first few hours use.
these can be fitted with no ballast, etc. new generation of legal xenon filled normal bulbs? just want rid of my hid kit thats all...

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
these can be fitted with no ballast, etc. new generation of legal xenon filled normal bulbs? just want rid of my hid kit thats all...
Not sure what you're asking dude? They're both makers/models of "proper" hid bulbs for oem stuff. Osram Nightbreakers for halogens if I were buying, although i've seen some others that were pretty decent too just can't remember which ones exactly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i have a bulb out also passenger side and i have the wheel beside the cruse control to adjust them on my r26 does this mean it will cost me a packet for a new bulb

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
normal halogens musiccube. Main beam, dipped beam or sidelight out? £30 -£40 tops for a pair of the best halogens.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Smashing, thanks for the advice guys. I'll get those Philips bulbs ordered and fitted.

Yeah I wanted to change both sides but when halfords man said £250 a pop, I wasn't so keen :p

Thanks again for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts