Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

please if mods read this, i am currently dotting the i's and crossing the t's with admin regarding approved trader status, so would appreciate this thread to be left open (pretty please)

We (Streamline Carbon) are going to be following up our RS250 carbon roof with a version for the Megane 2 in the early months of 2012. This was just a quick thread to se what serious interest might be out there for this product, my own feeling is that there would be a good few, seeing as the cars are now finding them selves being used in anger on circuits and being stripped etc, let alone the whole r26r affair :D

I would expect the relacement panel to be approx £12-1400 including vat plus worldwide shipping/fitting.

The usual approach would be given to the product, 2x2 twill, pre preg, finished in gloss lacquer, complete replacement including the boot shut area. Approx weight 4kg, I expect steel panel to be approx 20kg on the Megane, so strong savings (weight wise, lol)

Any/all comments/feedback welcome

mny thanks

Chris
Streamline Carbon

·
Premium Member
8,005 Posts
Honest opinion? On something like a Megane 2 like an R26 I really can't see people spending (potentially) a quarter of the cars value (once fitted) on a carbon fibre roof panel. Given the potential savings available and what other mods/gains you could get for that money I think it'd need to be cheaper to sell in any decent numbers?

Feel free to ignore me but that's my gut feeling. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your feedback. We do have 2 interested customers already, 1 in the UK and 1 from Finland. It will of course not match the very coarse weave used on the R26 R bonnet, which is a shame, we can possibly look into using a coarser weave to match it to the bonnet though, something i will investigate with our material supplier, I will need to get some more info on the R26R component first off.

cheers

chris

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Looks really nice, but...
Personally I couldn't see myself paying that much for it: you would have to be a seriously dedicated track user with a completely stripped car to start chasing a c.15kg saving. Otherwise you could just strip bits of the interior to lose weight. If you particularly wanted the appearance, a carbon wrap is going to be about 10% of the price and look fairly close.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no worries, we all have opinions. Massive international market the megane 2 has too, so not a small market we are chasing either, especially from how our other products have gone :D

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Unfortunately I think that most R26/225 owners will be isolated at the price you quote above...

As mentioned by Chris, you are talking about a massive investment which could easily equate to 25% of the value of the entire car (after finding somewhere to fit the thing). I fully appreciate that there is an international market for the product but in trying to give honest feedback, I think you will struggle to shift more then a few units at the prices quoted above...

Although completely unaware of any margin you have in the product, I believe at £700 odd, you would sell quite a few more units.

However, if my lottery numbers come up and I turn the R26 into a track monster, I will certainly be having one!

Dave

·
Club Member
7,528 Posts
if you want a test dummy/doner car and some cash you can install it on mine but there is no way i would pay that amount, it does look good though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I least I won't expect any orders for a roof from UK Megane owners, lol. You should see the roof released (pardon the pun, lol) approx March time next year all being well, also have a nice part on the way to us kindly donated by Tim (CaymanR26) in the form of the dashboard binnacle (the part that covers your instrumentation on the dash) for us to mould. Our plans are to produce it as an exact, clip in oem replacement (no other way to be honest0 and have the underside flocked that sits above the clocks and the top side finished in satin lacquer, to reduce glare from the surface onto windscreen. I have a vision for it and it is going to be quite some piece of kit i have to say. Cost will be indicated once toolig is made and the 1st component produced.

By the way, still waitign for replies from the club ref sponsorship, I have been passed around people so hopefully the person i have emailed is the person that can do something about it for us.

thanks

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
also have a nice part on the way to us kindly donated by Tim (CaymanR26) in the form of the dashboard binnacle (the part that covers your instrumentation on the dash) for us to mould. Our plans are to produce it as an exact, clip in oem replacement (no other way to be honest0 and have the underside flocked that sits above the clocks and the top side finished in satin lacquer, to reduce glare from the surface onto windscreen. I have a vision for it and it is going to be quite some piece of kit i have to say. Cost will be indicated once toolig is made and the 1st component produced.

Chris
This sounds more like it!

Dave

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You haven't heard the price to produce it yet tho, lol, fingers crossed will all be good for everyone

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To genuinely replace a steel roof on a car like the Megane (very similar removal/installation to our panels for the Peugeot 106/ Clio 200 & Focus RS) costs falls between £500-600, approximately 15-20hours + materials

The process involves the following, once the composite panel has been poduced and painted:

Windscreen removal
Tailgate removal
Headlining & other interior trim removal
Removal of steel panel, typically spot welded down the sides, front and rear of panl overlaps.
Clean up steel work
Composite panel bonded into place (using structural adhesive)
Tailgate shut is also painted/lacquered with nice mask line (see image below)
Refit tailgate, windscreen, headlining, other trim

Wipe down car - Stand back and admire (forgetting what you did and how sorry the car looked without a roof, lol)

And the one no one wants to see, lol

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
You’re flogging a dead horse.

Your time would better spent promoting those fashionable but cheap little bits of carbon tinsel budget car owning masses like to associate themselves with regarding the leading edge of racing and aerospace technological developments in composites.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts