Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a weekend of crap weather I've given the whole hype of wrapping a go.
Wasn't as hard as it seems to be portrayed as!

Why pay £150+ When you can do it yourself for under a £10er..
Taken on my iPhone so qualities not amazing.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Nice one fella.

Most cant tell the difference so why blow money on the real thing.

£200 for a set of 'real' carbon mirror covers - a shopping opportunity for complete plonkers.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I'm tempted to buy a spare wingmirror shell and get a real carbon wrapping kit from the carbon mods website. I like the glossy lacquered carbon rather than the matte finish 3M vinyl.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm tempted to buy a spare wingmirror shell and get a real carbon wrapping kit from the carbon mods website. I like the glossy lacquered carbon rather than the matte finish 3M vinyl.
The OP's vinyl is 3M DiNOC Matte CF Vinyl, reference CA-421 . Or, at least, it looks exactly like that.

There's glossy 3M CF Vinyl too:

CA-1170
CA-5434

These two are from the DiNOC range, ideal for exterior use.

You can also take a look at 3M Scotchprint 1080 Carbon Fibre Vinyl, glossy too but a little thinner, easier to apply but less resistant (I have my mirror covers wrapped with this, as I said it's easier to apply than DiNOC... got the covers wrapped without heating the film).

There's a lot of Carbon Fiber look vinyl at 3M catalogue, also in more colors like white, anthracite, brown... take a look.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I just fancy having a go at laying up some real cf. probably make a massive botch job though, hence wanting a spare wing mirror shell to practice on!

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I have 2 spare mirror covers that I don't need anymore. Was going to do this to mine but then decided to write my car off instead.

Tenner plus postage takes them. Pm me.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The OP's vinyl is 3M DiNOC Matte CF Vinyl, reference CA-421 . Or, at least, it looks exactly like that.

There's glossy 3M CF Vinyl too:

CA-1170
CA-5434

These two are from the DiNOC range, ideal for exterior use.

You can also take a look at 3M Scotchprint 1080 Carbon Fibre Vinyl, glossy too but a little thinner, easier to apply but less resistant (I have my mirror covers wrapped with this, as I said it's easier to apply than DiNOC... got the covers wrapped without heating the film).

There's a lot of Carbon Fiber look vinyl at 3M catalogue, also in more colors like white, anthracite, brown... take a look.
I looked at this to start with but preferred the Matte from Hexis to the gloss, I wanted it to be more discrete.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fine, but I need to advice that this 1080-CF12 is only a bit glossy, it isn't as gloss as real CF parts from Streamline Carbon, i.e. I mean I think it is so discrete too. The pic I posted is a bit unreal.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Do you have any pics of the front of the mirrors from the glass side. When doing these you have to make sure you keep the weave as straight as poss. Looking good. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've only wrapped the rear casing, I liked the standard black trim around it :)
I was going to keep the pattern straight throughout but after a few trials I preferred it angled outwards.
Thanks for the feedback :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts