Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys went out to give my new fmic (from forge) a blast in my r26, well happy with the result until i done a standing start launch (after waiting for the car to warm up!)
very annoyed that the clutch just slipped away................ in fact raging!!!!!!

so whats the best clutch to stick in place of my standard one thats just holding in there, or is there an underlaying problem else where in the megane?

being an ex-mechanic it does give the full list of typical clutch failures (including the smell!)

·
Registered
143 Posts
what happens when your doing 40mph or so in 4th and plant your foot? Does it slip then? Surely its bound to stink of clutch if you give it the big beans from a standing start.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Bit of a job. Subframe down and all that. You will need to replace the slave cylinder too. Bleeding the clutch is the hardest part though

·
Registered
163 Posts
^^^^^^ How much are they? as I am thinking of getting these replaced when I get my cambelt done too....

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Not too bad do to with jack and stands really, usual affair. Change the slave cylinder too and be prepared to replace the flywheel too. If your are running standard power then stick with oem stuff, if you are running a remap then weight the options up but you'll end up with the PO315 fault going solid flywheel on an R26.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not too bad do to with jack and stands really, usual affair. Change the slave cylinder too and be prepared to replace the flywheel too. If your are running standard power then stick with oem stuff, if you are running a remap then weight the options up but you'll end up with the PO315 fault going solid flywheel on an R26.
cheers on the heads up mate, im running a panel filter, fmic, exhaust...... im thinking a remap end of the year, but i need this clutch changed soon as im driving 60/70 miles a day!

PO315 fault???

why does the slave cylinder need to be changed too?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Trust us all on this advice! ... I (and many others) have first hand experience of clutch change woes in the RenaultSport Megane range! I drive a 225 but after reading this place for many consecutive hours decided to take the leap and go solid flywheel....!

I went for the KTEC SMF with OEM clutch and slave cylinder... If you can get to Birmingham with your bits and car then have a talk to Fred @ BTM - fantastic work and got mine working after another garage messed it up - big time! Price was very good and he will bend over backwards to help you!

The reason you change the flywheel is because they recommend you change this each time you change the clutch - and at £400+VAT a pop it's expensive! - so go Single Mass as you'll (hopefully) never need to replace this!

The reason they recommend changing the slave cylinder is because now you've taken your clutch to bits it's now all fully expanded and probably going to start leaking at some point after it's been re-pressurised.... and it's going to be expensive to take it all apart again when this goes but your clutch is still fine! - GET IT ALL DONE AT THE SAME TIME!

The PO315 error has been noticed in a few cases (mine is one after a few stints of giving it the beans) and is because the single mass flywheels have an issue with the flywheel/crank position sensor - if you got KTEC they are (hopefully) looking into a fix but it's not a huge problem that you can either clear it yourself with one of the cheap error code readers, or after a while the car (well, mine) clears itself...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Paul at RS is doing my clutch mid feb - £1080 + vat with fitting. That's the helix kit, also having the belts done - expensive month !

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Not really, that's uprated money
Iv been quoted 1200ish for oem clutch/flywheel/slave cylinder/other small bits and fitted by birchdown. good?
I'd say thats pretty reasonable tbh, the parts bill will total £700 book prices. Uprated is all well and good but you'll get the problems that seem to come with it.

I for one would not be paying this money and having to reset the eml every week!

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
The same error code isn't a biggy for you, surely, bmh.01 :p I'm learning to live with it and justg so long as it's the same code when I check it it's all gravy!

I'd be happy paying the price just so long as I get the results at the end... after all, changing from to non-OEM was bound to show somewhere!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts