Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's the shortened version.

R26 goes to local garage for the r26.r clutch and smf conversion.

Clutch pedal never feels right and is far too low, so low it refuses to disengage the clutch after a few miles.

Car goes back to local garage 3 times in 2 weeks for rebleeding.

Clutch pedal locks up and goes hard. So the car is recovered and taken to a different garage.

New garage has discovered the clutch plate is in the wrong way round. This has caused the slave cylinder to fail.

Now the new garage is going to rectify the problem and fit a new slave cylinder. I will then have another nice bill to pay!

My issue is I have already paid the first garage for this service. The first garage obviously hasn't done the job correctly so surely they need to refund all that I paid them?

The next issue is, should I claim for the damaged slave cylinder as a result of their work?

I have spoken to the first mechanic and he is defending himself saying that he was told to put it in that way round by the manufacturer. Yet this is the wrong way!

Really, I'm hoping someone has been here and sorted something like this before and can give some advice on my next actions.

Any advice will be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
You have to give the original garage a chance to fix the problem first so just going to another might cause an issue getting money back etc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He had 3 chances to rectify the issue though? Instead of taking the box out again he just rebled it each time.

He did tell me he was at a loss as to what could be wrong and if it was a master cylinder issue, he didn't want the work.

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
How professional. I should imagine you're going to have trouble here, but you'll have to go through the motions and small claims court if it comes to it.

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
You should always take it back to the initial party to try and solve the issues, involving another garage has complicated the matter...

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
He has though and they didn't know pictures of damage etc will go a long way I do see this in work sometimes .
Go back with pictures who's the manufacture of the clutch that he spoke to.
Take it as far as you can but be polite about it

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I had taken the car back to him 3 times in two weeks and he just kept bleeding it.

As he was putting the clutch in he rang ktec and they told him which way to put it. He swears he put it in the way they told him but since speaking to ktec myself, I can't believe they would have made a mistake.

He also rang LUK. And they reckon it isn't the correct clutch for the car, but ktec assured us both that it was.

After speaking to CAB they advise to go for the full compensation of the second garages bill, recovery and new slave cylinder costs??

*Do you mean photos of which way the clutch was positioned in the car?

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
He swears he put it in the way they told him but since speaking to ktec myself, I can't believe they would have made a mistake.
I wouldn't be so sure, they can talk the talk. Its still his fault mind, I don't understand how he could confuse which way to put it in.

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Don't know if this would be any use to you but this is how it should be installed, this is a DMF but the principle should be the same.

The pressure plate release arms would foul the friction plate hub if it were fitted backwards. Which will probably explain the release problems you had, I haven't got a decent picture of the friction plate but you can see how it protrudes on the other side in this one (old clutch top of picture).

·
Meganesport Area Rep - South West
6,404 Posts
you need pictures of everything if i would have done the job after someone else box off and photos of everything even before anything in the bellhousing is touched.
i have seen them in wrong and it was as you said too bleed it 3 times is silly if its still the same its eveident there is a fault.
yeah it would be the same princeable for a SMF ben.
its not going to easy mate and make sure you do it in writing as well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts