Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I was commuting 120miles a day, I'd usually get around 550 miles to a tank and my average MPG was around the 42 - 43mpg mark.

Would usually drop to around 500miles on a tank when I had less than about 2,000 miles to go to servicing.

I have seen 45-46mpg when car was fresh out of a service mind. And I don't drive with an overly kind right foot either. I go through tyres every 12-13k.

Not amazing MPG given what the competition can give, but I bought car knowing that because there wasn't anything else hatchback sized, with a pokey diesel engine that is awesome to drive. And that mattered more. And I don't consider A3/Golf/Leon TDI 170s good to drive.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
I get about 50mpg sitting at 60 on the motorway which drops to 40mpg at 70. I get roughly 450miles to a tank but i do mostly town driving.

Why do you ask?.

·
Registered
98 Posts
With a feather light touch on the throttle and doing a steady 55, I got 63mph with a tuning box that added approximately 15bhp more than standard. As with Snapper, it dropped down to 40mph at 70mph, and the high 30's if I was absolutely caning the beast relentlessly.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Im currently getting 42.7 average and thats a mixture of town/motorway driving,i do see 50mpg when i make my annual trip to scotland....

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
41-43 ish for me, mainly motorway and not being nice. My astra 150 cdti was only slightly better on the same run, so pretty happy really. Had notice mid has got worse lately, but due for service and do see a drop when its burning off the dpf too. Never seen more than 45, but not really tried.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Strange today it was doing around 36-37 with quite a heavy right foot on a 70 mile motorway run. But then filled up with V power diesel on the way back and it was sitting at 41-42 mpg at the same speeds. I have noticed it being pretty poor recently with 40 being the max if im careful and it was only serviced 2 months ago! It is due to have a fuel filter change though so I am not sure if that makes any difference?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Every once in a while I see 35 ish on motorways too. Think this is when the dpf or fap is full and burning off, as its done by messing with the fueling, so wouldn't worry about it too much. Running vpower at the mo too, economy not much better, but is running better, usually do about one tank in 10 or when I am feeling flush and find a shell garage

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm averaging 40-42mpg with a mix of motorway and town. Usually sit at 70-75mph on the m-way and only rarely give it a blast.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Not really. I think a Car Mag (Performance Car?) did a comparison of a DCI 175 vs a R26.

As the DCI 175 was a truly sporting deisel with similar set up to the excellent R26.

It shows that you dont get something for nothing. Make a great fast diesel like the DCI 175 is and surprise surprise its not that economical.

May mean you save £300 in Fuel which is minimal in the overall running costs of Depreciation........ and Tax, Servicing.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
not much better that the petrol then? :s
i disagree on a long run it is !I used to see 350 - 400 miles per tank @ 70mph in my R26 but on the same run in the DCI i get a range of 700 miles no joke.... this is on a 1200 mile round trip to Scotland.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I get around 42mpg, I have a 60 mile round trip to work, a mixture of a nice wee B road with plenty corners and a strech of dual carriageway, and some traffic jams in there too... I find it very economical... It really depends how you drive...

Hard fast drive 33mpg
Normal drive 43mpg
Motorway or dualler 46mpg
Very economical drive I have had 55mpg.

However if you really care too much about Mpg, play the game, decelerate slightly uphills and allow the car to pick up speed downhills, use brakes as little as possible, allow the car to slow down naturally, I am sure you all know how to drive economically. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
not much better that the petrol then? :s
Know this is mini trolling, but will bite anyway

For me even if the petrol did 35mpg, which doubt it would, thats still £40-50 more a month in fuel alone even at current 10p different, as well as higher road tax, insurance and some running costs, oh and the diesel depreciates less at higher miles. Worked it out and even on a good day looking at £80-100 a month more for a petrol hot hatch for me, so was a no brainer, if nothing else other than i dont have to fill up every 3-4 days.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
I agree with the above. For me when I looked into it, there was a £500 difference in insuring a r26 to the 175. Plus no need to change the cambelt. You may be able to get 33mpg in a r26/225 but I am sure the 175 will be more economical if you do enough miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Know this is mini trolling, but will bite anyway

For me even if the petrol did 35mpg, which doubt it would, thats still £40-50 more a month in fuel alone even at current 10p different, as well as higher road tax, insurance and some running costs, oh and the diesel depreciates less at higher miles. Worked it out and even on a good day looking at £80-100 a month more for a petrol hot hatch for me, so was a no brainer, if nothing else other than i dont have to fill up every 3-4 days.
Exactly what i was thinking mate, i do 1200 miles a month mainly to work and back and see average 42mpg. I would of loved to be able to have the petrol one but realised i'd be paying thousands more a year in everything you said! So i was so happy when i managed to find a diesel one :) i never fully fill the tank and i pay £50 a week for fuel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was experiencing similar figures, around 45 mpg at 70mph. After a ktec remap and intercooler it increased the economy alot. I do a 200 mile motorway journey twice a week and see 54- 55mpg at 70 - 80mph. No joke. I couldn't beleive the difference.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
I was experiencing similar figures, around 45 mpg at 70mph. After a ktec remap and intercooler it increased the economy alot. I do a 200 mile motorway journey twice a week and see 54- 55mpg at 70 - 80mph. No joke. I couldn't beleive the difference.
If you dont mind me asking, what figures did you get before and after from your remap from ktec?. Thats great mpg you are getting as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i think it was running 165bhp before with 255lbs ft torque. Its now 198bhp and 345lbs ft of torque. Thats after a remap, bigger intercooler and dpf delete pipe. I reckon I could have got abit more out of it by taking it somewhere else but ktec seemed to be a good company who had done a few of them before. Still goes like stink though so all smiles :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts