Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a letter today from my dealer (Benfield Newcastle) saying the car was due a service, had it a year in March.

Had a chat with the service manager querying this as the schedule is 2yrs or 12500mls according to Renault. He said that Renault are starting to recommend yearly services due to customer feedback! Apparently customers prefer an annual service!

Went on to state that it would be £125 this year for oil/filter change, full diagnostic and bumper to bumper check and next years service would be £155 which would work out cheaper than the one service next year which is nearer £300!

Anyone else had this recommended?

Is it just the dealer trying to squeeze a little extra cash out of me??

I'm thinking it's maybe worth getting the oil changed after a year despite only 3000mls on the clock.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In Portugal I received a letter like that and a phone call. But when I mentioned that the car was supposed to be serviced every 2 years, they didn't argue.

The fact that this is happening here in Portugal as well, makes it look like that this is something that came from above. But the fact that they didn't make any argument in favor of the annual service when I explained that they were wrong and the car has a 2-year maintenance interval makes me believe that this is something that isn't really needed. It sounds more like they are trying to squeeze a few more quids from the caring owners.

Regarding the annual oil change, I think it's worth being done. But I did it by myself. I have no need to go to a dealer pay 5x more for sub par oil (the semi-synth Elf Evolution SXR) than I can get for fully synthetic oil (Elf Excellium). But that's portuguese prices, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I paid 199 for my first service (I hit 12k after about 14 months). And that included the pollen filter. Sounds like they're charging a lot for their servicing there!

Save yourself some cash and put some better fully synthetic oil in there (make sure it's RN710 certified though for argument's sake) if you really want to, but I see no point having additional services just because they garage want to sell them to you :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
They would want you to get it serviced with them every year wouldn't they! More money for them.

I would get the oil changed though, it's not mega important as you've only done 3000 miles, but it's better to be on the safe side.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I haven't got a 250 but I was going to try and get mine done every 6 months on average probably lol. I am pretty anal/sad though.

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
You are nuts if you don't have it done at least once a year. All they are doing is an oil+filter change anyway, pollen filter should be done too but people seem to cheap out on this one for some reason.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Strangely I agree with a yearly or 10/12 k miles whichever is first.
I bought a service package at £210 for 3 years servicing on the Meg and would want it every year if I can so good news. I will have only done about 9K this year.
Roll on the letter!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
over there they program the car's computer to tell you to bring it in for service every 10k km or 12 months, whichever comes first. my car was about 1k km short of it's 20k km mark when the dash display started showing "Service Due in 30 days". then it was 20 days, 10 days... and finally one day the dash display went orange and the spanner light came on. luckily it was on the day i was sending it in for service.

after the service, they reset the computer using CLIP and it starts all over again.

redd

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Just spoken to my dealer Platinum Bath.
Yes he has been on the course.
They are now doing yearly servicing.
Not sure how far it goes yet is it a whole service brought forward or an interim till 12.500 and or 2 years.
He just mentioned clean oil and checks.
No mention of Pollen filters and air filters.

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just spoken to my dealer Platinum Bath.
Yes he has been on the course.
They are now doing yearly servicing.
Not sure how far it goes yet is it a whole service brought forward or an interim till 12.500 and or 2 years.
He just mentioned clean oil and checks.
No mention of Pollen filters and air filters.
Oh well at least it's not my dealer taking the water then! Think I'll book her in next month then 😊

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Thanks Andy/Nick

It is what I am used too now.
All my cars in the past when I stopped being hi mileage [silver haired owner now]
reverted to Yearly servicing.
Basically just a load of checks and an Oil filter change on my 200 sx's and Gsi's and VXR's.
Any doubts I stuck an air or pollen filter in myself.
Plugs were 4 years Brake fluid 2.
No probs. I am pleased that having bought the plan I can stop changing the oil myself every 5k and they will do one of them.
With the VXR's the warranty was dependant and also 'used' to get another year AA recovery/roadside. [not now tho]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts