Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well some low life scum :cussing: has keyed the car on both sides of the Laguna. In one area being really deep and going down to the metal work. Now i have been around many places getting quotes and they are quoting ridiculous prices. Not far off from getting a full respray on the car! And if that is the case, I'm going to 'House of Kolor' and going all out on it. i know that it will set me back about another 1k in cost. but as the car needs sorting out now, that extra in difference isn't that bad. i 'm just wanting it sorted over the new few week as i am using it second in line in the convoy for my friends wedding. ribbons, bows the lot :yes[1]:

Now for my problem: i can understand the need to almost fully spray the car and blend in the paintwork because of the colour match. And usually anything in the middle of the side of the car will require that side to be fully sprayed. but surely technology has move on since those times right? and is that really necessary? or are garages trying to rape me for all the notes i have?

we can go to B&Q and buy that extra tin of paint that we though we would have enough for, yet we find that it's a different batch code. but do you ever notice a difference? we can buy rattle cans from Hellfrauds and get the exact colour match for the cars. and there is no problem. you can even buy air fix paint and still comes out exactly the same. not to mention the advances with paint technology in the last few years with matching colours across different surfaces (metal/plastic). So why is it that garages insist that the full side of the car needs to be sprayed?

modern day paints are highly UV resistant, and the clear coat is very tough. it's mixed with precision by computer controllers or highly skilled people (not at mickey mouse workshops though) and there are even computer controlled colour sensors to detect differences. So what's the problem? I've even used rattle cans on my mums car and you could never tell the difference.

Also my car has always been looked after, infact to exactly the same standards as my Megane; clay, wet sand, DA, polish, wax. And in the last 3 years, it's spent over half that time under a UV resistant cover too.

Is it really necessary to do all that work for such a small area? or could it be done just along the scratch line and a few inches either side of it. Then polished to blend it all in. I really cant see that there is going to be that much inconsistency with colour matching nowadays.

Maybe someone could shed a light for me please, or even say if i'm speaking a load of poo! but to me i think garages are still taking us for a ride.

Do we even still have any resident painters in the Megane sport family here?

Thanks guys :)

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
yes mate key marks r the worst ! 9 times out of 10 the whole panel has to b recoated with clearcoat after the base. so dependent on how bad it is it will more than likely be the whole side
most paint systems are normaly a good match (apart from ford ) you can blend base coat but you will need to cover the whole panel with the clear . hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Also the colour can be applied in so many differnt ways resulting in colour change.

Is the car silver by any chance?

The clear coat can darken the colour if more than 2/3 coats are applied.(the car will allready have 2 coats)

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I just needed to know what is required. The colour of the car is 'Oyster Grey' that funny metallic/pearlescent colour.

So if the clear coat is the issue, then why cant this just be applied to the area and then blended in using compounding paste/polish? especially if it's likely to change the rest of the colour. If the whole side of the car is needing to be sprayed, then surely that will look different from the boot and bonnet across to the side of the car? have i over looked something here, because if that's the case then are you looking at a whole respray for the silliest of scratches?

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Clear coat can darken the panel,putting 2 coats of clear (HS) on the back edge of the panel.

The wing edge to the bonnet and 1/4 edge to boot would only need 1coat of clear and maybe a coat of fade out thinner to stop it going dark.

Some clear don't go dark,just most of them mainly HS (high solids)

Clear coat isn't the issue though!

Bassicly if the scratch goes near the other panels they will need doing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts