Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHY WE SHOOT DEER IN THE WILD
by a farmer who should have known better

I had this idea that I could rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it & eat it. First step: get a deer. I figured that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder & don't seem scared of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up & sniff the bags of feed while I'm in the back of the truck not 4' away), it shouldn't be hard to rope one, get up to it & toss a bag over its head (to calm it down), then hog tie it & transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder, then hid down at the end with my rope. The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They wudden having any of it. After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up-- 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, & threw my rope. The deer just stood there & stared at me. I
wrapped the rope around my waist & twisted the end so I'd have a real good hold..

The deer stood & stared at me, but you knew it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it, it took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope .. & that's when my education started. First thing I learned is, while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they're spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope.

That deer EXPLODED. 2nd thing I learned is that, pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope & with some dignity. A deer-- No Chance. That thing ran, bucked, twisted & pulled. There was no controlling it or getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet, dragging me across the ground, I realized having a deer on a rope wasn't near as good an idea as I'd thought... The only upside is that they don't have as much stamina as many other animals.

A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired & not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet & drag me ever time I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood gushing from the big gash in my head. At that point, I'd plum lost my taste for corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature to disappear off the end of that rope.

I figured if I was to let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it'd die a slow & painful death.. probably.... somewhere. At the time, I didn't much care as there was no love lost between me & that deer. Fact is, I hated the thing, & I'd venture a guess he felt the same. Despite the gash in my head & the huge knots where I'd cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks, as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there's a small chance I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in.
So, I didn't want the deer to suffer no slow death, & I, somehow, got it lined back up tween my truck & the feeder - a little trap I'd set before hand... kind of like a squeeze chute. I got it to back in there & I started moving up so I could get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite?

They do! I'd never in a million years have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was awful surprised when I grabbed at that rope & the dang deer grabbed hold of my wrist. With his teeth... Now, when a deer bites you, it's not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and slide off to then let go. A deer bites you & shakes its head--almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD & it hurts.

What you oughta do when a deer bites you is to maybe freeze & draw back slowly. I didn't do that... I tried screaming & shaking instead. My method was ineffective.

Seems like the deer was biting & shaking for several minutes, but likely it was only a few seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now), tricked it. While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand & I pulled that rope loose.

Then, I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet & strike right about head & shoulder level, & their hooves are dang nigh razor sharp... I learned a long time ago that, when an animal - (like a horse) --strikes at you with their hooves & you can't get away easy, the best thing to do is to make a loud noise & make a sudden move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to
back down a bit so you can escape.

This was not a horse. This here was a deer, so obviously, such trickery wouldn't work. In the blink of an eye, I devised a different strategy. I screamed like a woman & tried to turn & run. The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn & run from a horse that paws at you is there's a good chance that it'll hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, (besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil), because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head & knocked me flat on my face.

Now, when a deer paws at you & knocks you down, it don't turn & leave. I think it don't know the danger's passed. What they do instead is paw your back & jump up & down on you while you're laying there crying like a little girl & covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck & the deer left. So now I know why, when people go deer hunting, they bring a rifle with a scope......to sort of even the odds!!

All these events are true so help me God... An Educated Farmer

stolen from another forum

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I thought when i started reading a deer had taken i likeing to anouther st, my brother swerving to miss 1 deer ended up geting a 2nd runing into hes left wing and door, smashing his light, wing and door with a bill of near £1000 to his orange ST2, the deer did get shot and kild tho.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought when i started reading a deer had taken i likeing to anouther st, my brother swerving to miss 1 deer ended up geting a 2nd runing into hes left wing and door, smashing his light, wing and door with a bill of near £1000 to his orange ST2, the deer did get shot and kild tho.
i hope he ate it! karma ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts