Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This subject was discussed on the old site but as it was deleted, I would like to relance this topic. Maybe someone knows the differences between these 2 engines: turbos, gearbox, etc.

There was someone who told me that the turbos were different (mine was smaller). Do u happen to know more? I have already asked the renault service...but guess what...they didn't know.

I would like to remap my sweety to 225 + intercooler + induction kit + brakes upgrade (to Brembo) and I need more infos, as it will totally change my car.

Thx

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
the intercooler will be the same as the 225s as will be the induction kit, the brembos might be a pain as the 225s are a 5 stud,

as for the engines in not to sure on the answer to that, all i know is that they are not the same.

and the remap will be a sweet way to get yours up to almost 220 bhp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pt126 said:
engine internal is diff, Bore x Stroke and Com Ratio
From the link HJV2TRS-GP gave us Bore x Strokes are the same. However the compression ration is different...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HJV2TRS-GP said:
on the 165 the turbo is 11psi and on the 225 the turbo is 10psi
This is because the com ration I guess. But you can go up to 16psi or 17psi in the turbo megane engine with a proper remap.

mike_d225 said:
I think I remember someone mention smaller turbo and no VVT.

http://meganesport.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=vvt&start=0

This topic about VVT was discussed here and we did not arrive at any strong conclusion. Not even that the 225 has VVT... Looking on the Internet I can find my engine saying it has VVT, or not. The same with 225. If I look in some renault brochures the engine has this timing valve, in others no. This is pretty ambigous :shock:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the 165 engines don't have VVT (makes no difference to power output)
the 165 turbo is smaller (i have pictures of both the 165 and 225 turbos)

the 165 has a smaller exhaust manifold

both engines share the same piece of crap inlet manifold, plenhan and the worlds smallest throttle body!

cams are different i think (i have the specs for both)

225 engine = 9:1 165 engine = 8.6:1

both have the same bore/stroke

i have loads of onfo i've collected over the years, any questions, ask away and i'll try to answer them best i can!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FredF4RT said:
the 165 engines don't have VVT (makes no difference to power output)
the 165 turbo is smaller (i have pictures of both the 165 and 225 turbos)
The guy I needed :lol:

Could you post pictures with both turbos please?

FredF4RT said:
the 165 has a smaller exhaust manifold
This is not good but do you think it will affect if remaped?

FredF4RT said:
both engines share the same piece of crap inlet manifold, plenhan and the worlds smallest throttle body!
Nice :)

FredF4RT said:
cams are different i think (i have the specs for both)

225 engine = 9:1 165 engine = 8.6:1
I'm not very sure. I guess for 225 is 9.0:1 but for 165 engine is 9.8:1 (al least in my specs). But anyway could you please explin what this number means? I don't think I got it :oops:

FredF4RT said:
both have the same bore/stroke

i have loads of onfo i've collected over the years, any questions, ask away and i'll try to answer them best i can!
Could you please provide anythnig that you think it is important for a high remap please? In other words, in your opinion, from the engine point of view, what would be the maximum power supported?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm basically using a 165 engine with my own custom inlet mani and plenham using a Jenvey ETCC TB, plus the meggy 225 exh mani and turbo (different acctuator, and i'm removing the built in dump valve thing)

OMEX 710 ECU is going to control the lot, should be over 250bhp

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FredF4RT said:
i'm basically using a 165 engine with my own custom inlet mani and plenham using a Jenvey ETCC TB, plus the meggy 225 exh mani and turbo (different acctuator, and i'm removing the built in dump valve thing)

OMEX 710 ECU is going to control the lot, should be over 250bhp

FOOK ME...what have u done to your car :shock:

Ok m8, slow down... I have to understand what have u done there 8)

1. So you have a custom inlet manifold & plenham using Janvey

2. 225 exhaust manifold and turbo (different acctuator? - don't understand here)

3. OMEX 710 ECU - do you really need one of those? Couldn't this be done just with a remap of original ECU? I imagine that it costs a fortune.

And 2 other Q: what was the approx cost for all these and what model is the car (not seen in your webpage)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it started life as a 2001 new shape 1.2 16V clio

it is possible to remap the std ECU, but for my application it is far easier for me to use the OMEX

you can just about make out my clio from this pic

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm still playing with the chassis

cost - erm, a few £££

ECU = £1400ish
gearbox = £1K

etc etc

about £5K all in

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
Nah just having a look. The missus has the Clio but she's just noticed the 197 is coming out, so in a matter of minutes she's changed her mind about modding hers.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts