Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above, does anyone know if it can/has been done before? Are the bits available? Would it provide any benefit if the engine was used on track all its life?

Appreciate everyones input.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I am sure it would be possible but would there be any advantage? Has anyone experienced oil starvation issues whilst hammering it round a track??

In theory, the engine could be mounted lower in the chassis leading to a lower centre of gravity if it was possible??

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just thinking and wondered what benefits if any it would provide. I would like to do something about the fuel tank. It hates being less than 1/4 full on track.

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
The engines don't need a dry sump set-up.

It's been discussed a few times on Cliosport (for the 172's)

There is a Renault Sport dry sump kit available for the F4R, designed for the Formula 3 cars iirc, but as you can imagine it's not a conventional fit on a road car.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I was just thinking and wondered what benefits if any it would provide. I would like to do something about the fuel tank. It hates being less than 1/4 full on track.
There is not a lot of space to play with for the reservoir, pump and feeds.

A big and expensive mod for possible little advantage.

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
The megane runs an F4R engine... be it a slightly different variant to the 172 / 182 / 197 engines.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Gotcha ta.

Without wasting a new thread what about the petrol tank. Any ideas?
There are ways to sort it without pulling the existing tank out and replacing it, by using a surge tank, but again Bahn the return isn’t worth the expense for your track car.

Are you really chasing that sort of weight saving. What we talking? 10 Ltr. Do you have a set of jerry cans trackside to keep topping up a small fuel tank level after each session?

Even in racing, you always carry a bit of extra juice for any delays, red flags or when bits of your car go missing and you have to crack a possible Parc Ferme weigh-in for total mass regulation minimums.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I carry enough **** to the track as is. :) I was trying to avoid the jerry cans/petrol station runs as opposed to the weight.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There are a number of ways to help reduce fuel surge.

Swirl pot, baffles.. Etc

We experience it in our race megane, however the regs dont allow us to do anything about it.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are a number of ways to help reduce fuel surge.

Swirl pot, baffles.. Etc

We experience it in our race megane, however the regs dont allow us to do anything about it.
Whats the best number to have a chat with you on? I don't like the effect on the engine when starvation happens and on some circuits its not always convenient to carry fuel in cans

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is still a lot of hassle and expense to be able to burn an extra approx 10 Lt of fuel.
Id rather not have it though. If I can improve the car to prevent it then why not. Going back to the oil for a minute is there not a benefit in maintaining an even balance on the amount of oil in the sump through the corners?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Id rather not have it though. If I can improve the car to prevent it then why not. Going back to the oil for a minute is there not a benefit in maintaining an even balance on the amount of oil in the sump through the corners?
Go and get the tank mod sorted then. I'm sure lots will be intersted in the cost and process.

A dry sump just maintains a bit of 'balance' with a sump tower and less OEM oil sump 'slosh'.

Is this Fridays special edition of 20 questions Bahn?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
is fuel surge or starvaton that bad? cant say ive ever noticed really, not that i know what im looking for lol but dosent seem to have any obviouse issues to me.

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Oil wise a baffled sump would probably solve any potential problems without going to the extreme of dry sumping, seen some good jobs made of modifying the original sump with hinged baffles.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
is fuel surge or starvaton that bad? cant say ive ever noticed really, not that i know what im looking for lol but dosent seem to have any obviouse issues to me.
If you get down to 1/4 level and go hard round a good corner the engine dies. Not ideal, but manageable.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts