Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I'm a bit reluctant to post this question as I try my best not to be too paranoid about listening to 'engine noises' just incase there might actually be a noise. When I do hear one I think now why did I bother listening, making me even more paranoid! But here goes...

In the last week the car has started making a 'tapping' noise on cold start. It sounds like a noisy tappet. When the car warms up it disappears, thankfully. Now before you start berating me on 'this engine doesn't use tappets' this is best way I can describe it. It isn't very loud as you have to turn the radio and air con fan down to hear it.
I'm hoping that it may be due to the very cold weather, the oil is taking a few minutes to warm up and thin out making the engine sound more noisy.

The car is 18 months old and has done 13000 miles.

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were and if anyone is getting anything similar. I may just be one of those 'lucky' owners who is the only one to have such a noise!! That would teach me for listening in the first place. Just turn the radio up!!

Thanks, Stuart

·
Registered
758 Posts
it could be the hydrallic valve lifters , change the oil to an ester based synthetic oil and the problem will be gone

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it could be the hydrallic valve lifters , change the oil to an ester based synthetic oil and the problem will be gone

Cheers for that mate. Just read the whole 'engine oil' thread earlier on. Think the hydraulic valve lifters being a bit noisy on start up is very likely. Think some better spec oil is required next service!

I bet you were as supprised as I was when changing your oil solved this for you?? Is your car still rattle free on start up?

·
Registered
758 Posts
yes no rattle at all now even when its been stood all week , opie oils have a special offer on the fuchs titan pro race at the minute

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Can't say I've ever heard mine rattle! Isn't that a bit of a worry, should the lifters make a noise like that? Mines a clicking noise def the injectors.

·
Registered
758 Posts
yes the injectors do make a ticking noise , they all do , this is more of a metalic rattle its basically metal to metal with lack of lubrication when cold , only lasted a few minutes on mine but things like that bug me
tbh since having the fuchs oil in the whole engine sounds better

1 - 8 of 8 Posts