Megane Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple one what oil does Renault say u should use in the 250 ? Just interested in the viscosity I can't find it in the manual and my car is below half way down on the stick!!!!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yeah Renault seem to fill it with Semi Synthetic as far as I'm aware. Instead of arguing, I tend to let them fill it with the stuff on services, but when I do oil changes, I usually put Castrol Edge 5w40 in there. It's fully synthetic and has been signed off by Renault so you'll have no warrantee problems if they do ever check the oil.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Semi synthetic is old act now , next oil change use fuchs titan pro s 5/40 and you ll hear why semi synthetic oil is **** in modern engines

·
Registered
191 Posts
At the very least, any oil with the RN07100 approval will do. There are better oils with the RN0710 approval than the Elf Evolution SXR, like Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40 and Shell Helix Ultra 5w40.

And then you have really top of the shelf oils like the Fuchs Titan Pro S which, while not having the RN0710 approval, are likely to be better suited than the semi-synthetic Elf Evolution SXR. Although this might be debatable (for those who believe in manufacturer approval as a religion), it is a fact that there is better stuff out there that is still approved by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
758 Posts
engines that use hydraulic valve lifters are much better with ester fully synthetic oils basically if you use a semi syn oil like renault and others recommend when you switch off the engine the very runny oil all drains back in to the sump very quickly so when you re start the car especially from cold the lifters and many parts of the engine are not lubricated with ester oil the synthetic molecules cover the parts with a lubricating film which remains even when the engine goes cold
my 250 with only 1800 miles had lifter rattle when cold , i changed the oil and filter using the elf sxr and this made no difference so 2 weeks later changed it again to fuchstitan pro s and after a day the noise has gone , even after a week of being stood in the garage the engine sounds sweet from the off
i ve had this in other cars too , bmw and audi s , the pro s EXCEEDS ALL manufacturers approvals

·
Registered
191 Posts
... the pro s EXCEEDS ALL manufacturers approvals
That's the part I think is debatable. The Motul 300v claims the same. While I have no doubts that these oils will be superior in the short run, will they last for the 15k miles/2 years between oil changes? There are people over at bobistheoilguy forums that had their 300V tested and it seems that it doesn't perform that well after a few months (low TBN if I recall it correctly).

·
Registered
758 Posts
agreed its not a long life oil but i would never leave any car of mine over 6k miles or 12 months using any type of oil no matter what manufacturers say

·
Registered
13 Posts
:tt2:
engines that use hydraulic valve lifters are much better with ester fully synthetic oils basically if you use a semi syn oil like renault and others recommend when you switch off the engine the very runny oil all drains back in to the sump very quickly so when you re start the car especially from cold the lifters and many parts of the engine are not lubricated with ester oil the synthetic molecules cover the parts with a lubricating film which remains even when the engine goes cold
my 250 with only 1800 miles had lifter rattle when cold , i changed the oil and filter using the elf sxr and this made no difference so 2 weeks later changed it again to fuchstitan pro s and after a day the noise has gone , even after a week of being stood in the garage the engine sounds sweet from the off
i ve had this in other cars too , bmw and audi s , the pro s EXCEEDS ALL manufacturers approvals
when it comes time for my service it will be pro s also been proved to give the top oil pressure I bet you guys didnt know that:tt2:

·
Registered
191 Posts
agreed its not a long life oil but i would never leave any car of mine over 6k miles or 12 months using any type of oil no matter what manufacturers say
That's what I plan to do as well (and already did). However, some might fall for the "exceeds all manufacturer approvals" and use racing oils for extended drains, which they were not designed for.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Renault developed their RN standard for the commercial tie up with ELF.

Many oils exceed that standard, but the process to comply is expensive. Existing oil industry standards already cover oil quality.

Renault could use the RN oil issue for any get-out-of warranty claims if relevant.

Commercial links can dominate the oil choice and manufacturers loyalty game.

If your car is out of warranty, ditch the SRX and go for a better oil, particularly if you want the added engine protection. If in warranty and you feel tied to RN standards and ELF, use ELF Excellium, a fully synthetic oil.

·
Registered
69 Posts
my car RS 250 need to go to service in two weeks. I am not sure what is the best oil for my engine Motul 300V, Motul 8100 x-cess or Fuchs Titan Pro S ??????

1 - 20 of 44 Posts