Megane Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My laptop a Hewlett Packard Pavilion dv6000 is getting quite old now, I think its about 5 years old. I can't afford a new one so I'm thinking of upgrading the RAM and getting an external hardrive to help speed it up.

When I bought it, it was quite a good spec it has 2gb RAM and I think 512Gb memory. I didn't use it for anything heavy duty for a while only internet and word processing but now I use it for editing photos and to play World Of Warcraft (don't judge me lol) so the workload has increased dramatical.

So can anyone recommend where to buy extra RAM and also how much will my laptop be able to run?

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi mate,

Can't help directly as laptops aren't my forte. But I used to have a really high spec laptop about 3 years ago. 4gb ram, SLI cards and WOW still hammered it, especially in 25 mans.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can quest for about an hour, with all the graphic settings at their lowest but after that I lag like a mo fo to the point where I have to give up.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
If you go on crucial.com you can scan your system and it will tell you what you motherboard can handle... Chances are it will be 4gb max.

This is also the limitation for any recent windows 32bit operating system (I assume you're running windows) you might find swapping the ram and adding 4gb windows will only read 3.5 or so (this is normal)

Other things you can do is defrag your hard drive, clean your hard drive and uninstall any applications you don't really use taking up space :)

Another hardware upgrade you can do is replace your 5year old hard drive with a new one... This means reinstalling windows but refreshes this component too.. You can get a 750gb with 32gb SSD hybrid hard drive from seagate I think (can't remember exact model) for about £100 this will give your machine a new lease of life too and not compromise on storage space.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I defrag the hard drive about every 6months and have already deleted as many programs as possible. how hard is it to replace the hard drive? Should it only be attempted by a pro? Would it have the same effect as getting an external hard drive and p putting programs like Photoshop and iTunes and all my images on it?

Sorry for all the newbie questions. :)

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
That's more than most people... I use an application called smart defrag which defrays and maintains the harddrive when the machine is not in use... It's free and always handy to have running.

Swapping hard drives is as simple as swapping the RAM ... The only trouble is that you then need to reinstall windows so backing up all your data, photos etc to an external hard drive is essential... And you need to have your windows cds to do the install too...

Running those applications off an external hard drive I personally wouldn't recommend because USB speeds have much more limitations than your local machines hard drive, then there is the case that if you plug another USB stick it could inherit the drive letter an you then have to faf about to get the external hard drive to work and you apps installed on it to work.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Regarding replacing hard drives if you google it for your model of laptop chances are you'll find a load of info / guides on doing this.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. Thanks for your help. I've been on crucial and done the scan. I'm going to look at some tutorials now on how to change RAM and hard drive before I purchase anything.

Thanks again for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts